The South Carolina Postgame Report

cncchris33

A win (66-62), and 37 minutes of the best basketball of the season, but the final 3 minutes was enough to give you an ulcer. Just an unbelievable lack of focus and composure to close the game, but just enough of the latter to eek out the win.

The Good...
1. I'm not sure we have played a better 37 minutes of basketball all season, especially considering it was on the road where USCe plays well. 55% from the field, 56.6% from 3, and we held USCe to 34% from the field, and 23.5% from 3.

2. Our D really seemed to cover up 85% or so of their looks offensively, and they simply couldn't hit the other 15%. The D is really starting to come together nicely.

3. Derek Reese came to play. 8 pts, 9 rebs, and a clutch FT at the end to make it a 4-pt game. He has really stepped up his level of play and his an important/key player for this team.

4. Officiating was a little all over the place (not shocking with Doug Shows on the floor), but I felt like our guys allowed it to affect their composure at times, Armani in particular. Kudos to him for fighting through it for the most part.

5. Armani played well and was definitely aggressive off the dribble. 11 pts, 2 rebs, 2 assts, 2 stls, 1 blk, and only 2 TOs.

6. Kevin Punter stepped up when JRich got into foul trouble.

7. Hubbs was solid, if not spectacular again. 8 pts and 5 rebs in somewhat limited playing time. It seemed Devon Baulkman got some of his minutes, and I can't help but wonder if it has to do with his ability to handle the ball better than RH3 when JRich went to the bench in foul trouble.

The Bad...
1. WTH in the last 3 minutes???

2. A lot of missed FTs that could have helped prematurely end the drama.

3. JRich had 8 TOs. He had some takeover moments, but also one of his worst "PG" games (only 2 assts).

4. Carmichael and Owens are completely lost. Carmichael mentally, and Owens physically. They were pressed into action way to early without proper preparation (not their fault), but they need an offseason in the worst way.

Bottom line...
Another great win on the road. 3-0 on the road in conference play is unbelievable for any team not named UK, but for this collective group of no-names, it's a tribute to their resolve and CDT's coaching ability and motivation. It's someone else every game stepping up and making big shots. Sole possession of 2nd place (UF lost to LSU) and a very winnable home game vs aTm coming up. The schedule is very backloaded, so we need to won these home games.

Reactions: 21 people
I haven't seen the stats, but it felt like they killed UT on the boards all night, especially down the stretch.

Yeah nice win tonight!! I just had a feeling we we're going to pull that one out at the end! But they always have to make it interesting! Donnie is doing an unbelievable job with this team! Got the Aggies Saturday hopefully TBA will be rocking as we need to win that one with a trip to Arkansas up next! Good win tonight keep on rocking!!! GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
honestly, I think we're underated by a lot of people (even on here). I'm not saying we should be ranked highly or anything, simply that we can compete with most teams on a given night.

Will we will big with games of 40 mins of beautiful play? no. most games will probably be ugly. But we can absolutely show up and compete. And like the bama game, not show up offensively and get beat solidly.

(this is somewhat off topic, just see some people on here who can't see how we would win a game against teams that are not "better" than us)

</rant>

Reactions: 1 person
USC got the same looks they did the whole game the final 3 minutes, they just actually started hitting them. Our biggest problem tonight imo (which isnt on your list) is giving up 17 offensive boards to our 5. We wont beat very many teams giving up that many offensive boards.

USC got the same looks they did the whole game the final 3 minutes, they just actually started hitting them. Our biggest problem tonight imo (which isnt on your list) is giving up 17 offensive boards to our 5. We wont beat very many teams giving up that many offensive boards.

+1 luckily our league isn't drowning with quality bigs.

Correct.

An almost epic collapse of what had been a 17 point lead. I think we were outscored 15-5 over the final 3:30.

you are correct but please if not mentioned before now, the refs really did have a issue with the vols tonight.
call me out if you want..

a guy travels 2 times on a 3 point shot ..then gets fouled...

then on very next play call a travel on us..very shaky..

edit.. had 12 heart attacks ...( C.U.M. would not of had a chance tonight).

If we didn't go 10-18 from 3, it was likely we would have lost this game. But otherwise, great game vols, I'm glad we pulled out the win. Collective effort from everyone tonight, great to see a young a team go on the road and win.

Mostella had some big shots. Took a couple that were rushed though. He gonna be an excellent player down the road.

Gamecocks junior center Laimonas Chatkevicius had his first-ever double-double in an SEC game with 15 points and 11 rebounds in a loss at Auburn last Saturday. Chatkevicius, South Carolina's tallest player at 6-foot-11, had zero points and one rebound against the Vols.

VN Store

Back