If Donnie Knoxille.....

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
Can take a bunch of leftover players and turn them into a tournament team, could you imagine what he could do with talented players like UK has, on his roster every year? That's a really scary sight.

Reactions: 8 people
We aren't going to have UK-like rosters. Maybe a player or two like that, but not a whole team. And I'm still very concerned about having to replace Josh next year.

Reactions: 4 people
Best X's and O's basketball coach we've had since Devoe...I know the sentiment about him, but he could scheme.

Reactions: 7 people
How much of UT's success is CDT himself, and how much is just the players skill? Honest question, not trying to rustle any feathers. People always say when Cal wins, it's because the players are elite. When CDT wins, it's all him. Yes I understand the huge differences and obviously there's a huge discrepancy in talent, but UT has some legit SEC players on the roster that deserve credit. Idk what CDT would do with a UK roster, all I know is UT has been much better than advertised so far this season.

Reactions: 2 people
How much of UT's success is CDT himself, and how much is just the players skill? Honest question, not trying to rustle any feathers. People always say when Cal wins, it's because the players are elite. When CDT wins, it's all him. Yes I understand the huge differences and obviously there's a huge discrepancy in talent, but UT has some legit SEC players on the roster that deserve credit. Idk what CDT would do with a UK roster, all I know is UT has been much better than advertised so far this season.

The consensus was, among the media and even among us, that we'd finish near, if not at the bottom of the SEC.

That should tell you how much "talent" is on this team.

This was before my time. How good of a motivator was Devoe?

His failing...he was a college teammate of Bobby Knight...guess he perfected the straight man playing off him. If we're talking great motivator in UT history, Pearl currently holds the title IMO...but that coaching demeanor Tyndall displays drawing up a play? We might have something here!

Reactions: 2 people
Tyndall himself says it's not a great team talent wise. Says they make up the talent gap by playing with grit and great chemistry. Calls them an extremely coachable bunch of guys.

Reactions: 1 person

Richardson and Moore are the only proven players that can play in the SEC. The rest of them were mostly leftovers that Donnie had no choice but to take to fill his roster up. If you look, Cal almost has a full roster of NBA players. Donnie has two legit SEC players and the rest are leftovers like I said. We were projected to finish almost dead last by most experts in the SEC with the lack of talent we have on our team. Could Cal win with our roster? Maybe or maybe not but you really can't compare the two teams cause they're both under completely different situations. Not taking anything from Cal and his system cause it's obvisously been working well for him but with what Donnie has accomplished with this team, not to mention having the NCAA up his nose 24/7, is more impressive IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Tyndall himself says it's not a great team talent wise. Says they make up the talent gap by playing with grit and great chemistry. Calls them an extremely coachable bunch of guys.

They're going to get incrementally better as the season wears on also. They've about mastered that zone...I believe CDT will mix things up from time to time...to throw some teams off. JMO.

Reactions: 1 person
They're going to get incrementally better as the season wears on also. They've about mastered that zone...I believe CDT will mix things up from time to time...to throw some teams off. JMO.
Yep. I don't think we've seen the best yet.
Bet he gets them closing out games better also.

Reactions: 3 people
Best X's and O's basketball coach we've had since Devoe...I know the sentiment about him, but he could scheme.

My recollection of DeVoe is that the peak of his success in the SEC seemed to end almost overnight when the shot clock came into college basketball.

DeVoe played man-to-man defense and when he got a lead on you late, you were in trouble. He would just "take the air out of the ball" and force teams to foul, ala Dean Smith and the North Carolina "four corners" offense. Tennessee, along with Kentucky, Alabama and LSU were the most dominant teams in the league during these years.

When the shot clock came into the game, he was one of the most vociferous opponents.

This. Can't be any scarier than replacing Stokes/McRae.

I somewhat disagree. Losing McRae was eased quite a bit by seeing Richardson come into his own late last season. On the other hand, losing Stokes was definitely worse. I'm hoping Hubbs progresses enough this season that we can look for him to step up next season just like Josh has. A big loss will be losing a defender of Josh's caliber next season.

The consensus was, among the media and even among us, that we'd finish near, if not at the bottom of the SEC.

That should tell you how much "talent" is on this team.

Why put the word talent in quotes?
There is real talent on this team.

My recollection of DeVoe is that the peak of his success in the SEC seemed to end almost overnight when the shot clock came into college basketball.

DeVoe played man-to-man defense and when he got a lead on you late, you were in trouble. He would just "take the air out of the ball" and force teams to foul, ala Dean Smith and the North Carolina "four corners" offense. Tennessee, along with Kentucky, Alabama and LSU were the most dominant teams in the league during these years.

When the shot clock came into the game, he was one of the most vociferous opponents.

DeVoe's last team here made the NCAA tournament for the first time in six years. The shot clock was a set back for his coaching style but at that time it was 45 seconds and he eventually learned how to adjust. After one disastrous season at Florida DeVoe was hired by Navy and took them to the NCAA tournament 3 of the first 6 years. DeVoe was a very good coach but for whatever reason he never got a job at a traditional basketball school that could have helped with his below average recruiting.

VN Store

Back