Free Throw Shooting

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
Needs to get better. Quickly.

As I am primarily a football guy, I have an honest question for those who played organized basketball:

Is it possible to improve a team's overall free-throw shooting in the middle of a season? Or are we just stuck with what we have?
Either way. Great win! Proud of our boys! Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
After those last few minutes I hope its possible to improve. They won though!

We shot lights out from 3 but struggled from the line. This team is so weird.

You can definitely improve if you are committed to doing so. Free throws are often just a matter of focus, relaxation, rhythm and repetition.

Reactions: 1 person
We shot 18-20 from the FT line against Arkansas.. We are very hit or miss when it comes to the FT line

Needs to get better. Quickly.

As I am primarily a football guy, I have an honest question for those who played organized basketball:

Is it possible to improve a team's overall free-throw shooting in the middle of a season? Or are we just stuck with what we have?
Either way. Great win! Proud of our boys! Go Vols!

So far this team has shot it pretty well. IMO Kevin Punter, for example, hadn't made a shot from the field last game and made back to back free throws against Mizz at the end of the game.

As Krager said, we have shot FT's well in other games. Just confidence, and road FT's are tougher. Punter is the one that needs to improve as a ball handling guard.

Feel like we've shot free throws much worse on the road. No stats to back it up just a gut feeling I have. I most definitely could be wrong.

Feel like we've shot free throws much worse on the road. No stats to back it up just a gut feeling I have. I most definitely could be wrong.

That's probably right. But I'd imagine that's common even with more talented and experienced teams isn't it?

with the overall talent and lack of continuity in staff and players, then this is the one year I do not care about any stats...this season is becoming one of legend in vol basketball history and I do not care about anything but wins...shoot bad from 3 one game, bad free throws another, foul trouble another...it really does not matter...its all about winning with this ragtag bunch and so far so good...with the lack of exceptional talent you are going to go through crazy ups and downs, as long as we keep winning it does not matter...we can start addressing team needs and getting better players in the off season and years to come...just enjoy this ride...the misfits are playing great defense and they have hustled in and out every single game this season...I LOVE IT!!!

Reactions: 4 people
It's hard when you don't have a real go to FT shooter at the end. We don't have anyone who knocks them down in the high 80's low 90's to just feed at the end. It's a bunch of guys who can hit 9/10 on any given night, but the same guys can go 5/10 on another night. Consistency is nowhere.

with the overall talent and lack of continuity in staff and players, then this is the one year I do not care about any stats...this season is becoming one of legend in vol basketball history and I do not care about anything but wins...shoot bad from 3 one game, bad free throws another, foul trouble another...it really does not matter...its all about winning with this ragtag bunch and so far so good...with the lack of exceptional talent you are going to go through crazy ups and downs, as long as we keep winning it does not matter...we can start addressing team needs and getting better players in the off season and years to come...just enjoy this ride...the misfits are playing great defense and they have hustled in and out every single game this season...I LOVE IT!!!

This was how it was at the beginning of the season, now when a miracle is happening people expect more.

never thought we would have a record like this, not even close to this.

Every. Word. Of. This. Except the rag tag part, I don't want any part of the Jabby/Auntie wrath.

This was how it was at the beginning of the season, now when a miracle is happening people expect more.

never thought we would have a record like this, not even close to this.

It is amazing. It seemed like our previous teams under Martin started off slow but this team hasn't. It is very impressive what Donnie is doing with these guys.

I live in Louisville,KY and when you have UK fans calling you and saying what is up with your VOLS then you know things are going well. My friend is like how do you win, I check the stats/boxscores and I just do not get it. I said well I have never and I mean NEVER seen a team go at it so hard on the defensive side of the ball and never get down when things go haywire for minutes on end on the offensive side of the ball. I said obviously we are proving we may have a better coach then most and that if he ever got this kind of effort from better players then the entire nation better be scared. GO VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Could be some fatigue in there. Short bench and extended minutes. SC made the second half a real grind.

True. Punter, JRich, Moore, and Reese all had misses inside the final 4 minutes I believe. They probably led the team in minutes played. Short turnaround (Sat-Tues) for two road games (@Mizzou and @USCe). Makes going 2-0 all the more impressive now that I think about it.

We've got to stop blowing these two digit leads in the last two or three minutes of the game. This is three times we've done it but luckily we've won all three. Missing free throws has contributed to the demise but for some reason we can't put these teams away at the end. Thank goodness we have pulled them all three out in this team is way over achieving! GO VOLS!
Let's all be there Saturday versus A&M and rock Thompson Boling

VN Store

Back