Basketball Team Poll

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters

CAVol

Would you rather this years team go one and done in the NCAA tournament or win the NIT championship?

Context: SeniorDrill wanted to know everyone's stance on this topic. He loves his stats. Let's give them to him.

I think the topic is a somewhat interesting one. Just tired of it cluttering up the other thread. Please discuss this in here now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
2 straight NIT championships didnt do squat for South Carolina did it ?

Last edited:
NCAA > playing against Towson St in front of 4,000 with black curtains - and probably losing too

All this tournament talk is quite premature.
The only tourney we're sure to make is the SEC tourney.

This year, I'd probably be happier with an NIT championship than losing an NCAAT play in game. If not the play in, NCAA as long as it's a competitive game against a good opponent.

In 1985 the NCAA field was smaller, but the 3rd place NIT finish behind UCLA and Indiana and ahead of Louisville was a good finish.

If Cuonzo had maintained the NCAA streak in his first two years I'd rather go to the NCAA for about the tenth year in a row. Considering what this team is working with this year, an NIT championship would be pretty sweet.

Reactions: 2 people
If the question was winning the NIT v being eliminated in the SECOND round of the NCAA, I'd prefer the NCAA over the NIT. That first round beat down to Michigan in Bruce's final game 4 years ago really sucked.

Fans don't give a sh*t about the NIT, nor do I. Fans care about the NCAA Tournament, and so do I. There's your answer.

Winning five straight beats one and done. Losing the first round of the NCAA creates doubt that you should have even been invited.

you have a better chance losing the 1st round of the NIT than you do the 1st round of the NCAA , because nobody cares about the NIT and the players are not going to play with the same emotions in the NIT like they do in the NCAA. A team is only promised 1 games in each tourney and neither is a guaranteed win. Losing in the 1st round of the NIT against Ga St creates doubt that the team didn't want to be there.

you have a better chance losing the 1st round of the NIT than you do the 1st round of the NCAA , because nobody cares about the NIT and the players are not going to play with the same emotions in the NIT like they do in the NCAA. A team is only promised 1 games in each tourney and neither is a guaranteed win. Losing in the 1st round of the NIT against Ga St creates doubt that the team didn't want to be there.

The poll option was WINNING the NIT, not flaming out in it.

Personally, I play to win....I don't care if it is jack-rocks (there's my age). I would rather end the season with 5 wins than 1 loss. At this point and time, UT athletics needs any kind of championship.

And, most of all, Losing Sucks!!

Would you rather this years team go one and done in the NCAA tournament or win the NIT championship? Context: SeniorDrill wanted to know everyone's stance on this topic. He loves his stats. Let's give them to him. I think the topic is a somewhat interesting one. Just tired of it cluttering up the other thread. Please discuss this in here now.

Last edited:
Phony question just like political polls!
I asked that you post the exact question which you did not so I do not consider this poll to have anyone voting except your team members which appears to be the case. Here is what I requested which you ignored to influence your results:
There are 345 basketball teams in Division I. How many of you would rather see our current team get into the NCAA tournament instead of winning the NATIONAL INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT which would require winning 5 games against supposedly teams ranked 69-90?

The other vote is even worse for you than this one. I asked the same question without your fluff and hyperbole attached to it. You can't handle that a huge majority disagrees with you.

The only teams that acknowledge the NIT are the ones that don't make the NCAAT. :eek:hmy:

GO VOLS!

Personally, I play to win....I don't care if it is jack-rocks (there's my age). I would rather end the season with 5 wins than 1 loss. At this point and time, UT athletics needs any kind of championship.

And, most of all, Losing Sucks!!

You do realize that the person that loses in the first round of the NCAA tourney still won more than the NIT champion.

Let no one be fooled, this is not a good basketball team. A team that lives and dies with it's jump shot is not going to make it very far. I'll enjoy the wins as they come but expect probably 3 or 4 more games like the Alabama game and for us to really struggle on the road vs bad teams. Sorry to be "that guy" but everyone is getting carried away with NCAA talk. Keep your expectations reasonable and you won't be screaming for Tyndall's head when we don't make the NCAA in March.

Let no one be fooled, this is not a good basketball team. A team that lives and dies with it's jump shot is not going to make it very far. I'll enjoy the wins as they come but expect probably 3 or 4 more games like the Alabama game and for us to really struggle on the road vs bad teams. Sorry to be "that guy" but everyone is getting carried away with NCAA talk. Keep your expectations reasonable and you won't be screaming for Tyndall's head when we don't make the NCAA in March.

Dangit Steve, why you poopin on our party??? lol

I'm not conceding the NIT just yet. My original expectation for this team was 15 wins.
Reason for optimism = Defense
This team isn't just #1 in the SEC at defending points inside the arc. they are #1 in the country.
We are close to worst at defending the 3 but only give up 24 pts a game there.

In your own words teams that depend on the jump shot won't win many games. So not many teams will beat us from beyond the arc.

I'll temper expectations if we lose 6 of the next 10. A win Tuesday night and it ain't gonna happen.

VN Store

Back