TN @ Missouri "Wow we're actually not bad" Post Game Report

iKrager

Final Score: 59-51 Tennessee Victory

- Great effort tonight. The shots weren't falling in the first half, and I give credit to Missouri's defense from preventing us from attacking the rim in the first half.

- Conditioning was a factor in tonight's victory. Missouri's players looked exhausted in the second half and it was very evident in our consecutive steals with 5:00 minutes remaining in the second half.

- Josh Richardson played fantastic defense. He had two major blocks in transition that prevented Missouri's guard from getting two easy lay ups. I'm like 99% sure one will be a highlight on SportsCenter tonight. Josh not only had two great blocks, but really shut down Jonathan Williams/Montaque Gill-Caesar.

- Player of the game: Armani Moore. 15 pts, 11 rebounds, 1-2 from 3pt, 6-8 shooting total, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and four turnovers. Two of those turnovers were travelling. Fantastic game for him. Flashback: last year Jarnell Stokes went on to say that Armani Moore was a "freak of nature" when it came to strength, apparently Armani Moore was squatting way more than Jarnell Stokes.

- Couldn't win without: Derek Reese. I've never seen him so aggressive before. He just comes off the picks and high ball screens like a menace waiting to score. Close to a double-double, 10 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal and 1 turnover in 31 minutes of playing. He's starting to learn how to use his body to attack the basket, and is turning it over far less.

- The return of: Kevin Punter. Despite shooting 0-6 his last two games, Kevin Punter came out with a plan to hit those shots. He shot 2-4 from the 3 and had 12 points total. Great to see his shot falling again.

- Where is?: Willie Carmichael III had another rough game. 1-1 shooting (great put back though), 2-2 free throws, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 4 personal fouls. Carmichael needs to develop his court awareness. At times he's lost his man defensively and will try to cope by fouling his opponent. Once Willie can understand how to use body more, and learn to stop fouling, he can be a real good player. Until then, he's got a ways to go.

- He's a five star?: Robert Hubbs III had 6 points, 8 rebounds, and 1 turnover in 28 minutes of playing. Though his points weren't there, Robert is still showing signs of improvement. These last 2 games, Robert has been attacking the rim more. We even had a set up play for him tonight, he had a nice baseline dunk that gave our players some needed energy.

- Detrick Mostella and Devon Baulkman both had okay games. Neither played extremely well but neither did anything horrible. Mostella was scoreless. I like Devon Baulkman's aggressiveness. I see the potential in both of these men to be real scorers. The summer time will help them develop.

- Our defense has been ON these last 3 games. I believe we've held our last 3 opponents under their scoring averages. Though teams have shot the 3 very well against Tennessee, we pack our zone tighter inside so teams have a hard time scoring against our athletic guards/forwards.

-(ADDED) Free throws. Of course, how could I forgot the most important stat of them all. We shot 18-20 from the line! Great improvement to see.

Overall, it was an okay game. The first half was pretty boring to watch, as there wasn't much offense going on. The second half was very exciting especially when the game was getting close. We let Missouri back in it when they hit a few 3 balls, and our inability to find the hot shooter is still a problem.

But hey, we went out and played an SEC team on the road and won. Currently TN is #2 in the SEC.

Thanks for reading guys, if you have an criticism on what to add/delete, please let me know! Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Reactions: 31 people
Hey interesting Cuonzo note: Tennessee hadn't won consecutive road games to open a season since 2009. That's what frustrated everyone more than anything. Very happy to see a coach know the importance of a game like this.

Reactions: 15 people
Excellent read. You are to be commended for filling so admirably for the awol cncchris33. Seriously, thanks for taking the time to do this. I always enjoy the take away from the game, good, bad, and the fugly.

Reactions: 9 people
Hey interesting Cuonzo note: Tennessee hadn't won consecutive road games to open a season since 2009. That's what frustrated everyone more than anything. Very happy to see a coach know the importance of a game like this.

It was a great win. Cmon though, I'm sure Zo knew it was important as well.

Reactions: 2 people
Armani and Reese are a really solid tandem, If Willie could give us anything but fouls it would help immensely down low.

Glad Punter got his stroke back, and he's been solid defensively. But on offense he makes me nervous, I find myself thinking "what are you doing?" about 3 times a game.

You know those lights that when you turn them on they slowly light up? That's Hubbs, you can see slowly but surely its starting to click. He didn't score much but played well and was aggressive. Weird analogy I know.

I'd like to see us run a few plays a game to get DB open looks. He has a nice stroke from 3, but isn't really the type of player that's just going to jack up a contested 3.

Very solid win, again, took a complete team effort. But how about those FREE THROWS?! Absolutely changed the scope of the game and was the biggest difference. I know its an anomaly, but if they can continue to improve their season average this team will close out games better.

Reactions: 4 people
Impressive win considering its on the road in the SEC, albeit against a bad Missouri team. Any win when Josh RichArdson is off his game offensively is a bonus. I didn't think this team could win unless J Rich scored at least 12-14 points. Great to see the improvement from Moore and Reese. I was, like many other Vol fans, ready to write Reese off earlier in the season. Now he is the only player we have over 6'7" that other teams have to even be concerned about on the offensive end. He and Moore are rebounding machines to be so undersized. Go Vols!

Great win but every season is different.......it will get much harder from here.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder how long this temporary love fest with Tyndall is going to last? I think he is a great coach but we are getting ready to get into the meat of our schedule and VOLS fans have short memories. If we are 5-5 over these next ten games I will be surprised.

Very solid win, again, took a complete team effort. But how about those FREE THROWS?! Absolutely changed the scope of the game and was the biggest difference. I know its an anomaly, but if they can continue to improve their season average this team will close out games better.

+1

Speaking of Cuonzo Martin, his California team is 1 and 6 in last 7

...And absolutely bored out of their mind.

If I had trouble sleeping I bet I could listen to one of his Pregame speeches and be asleep before he finished.

post_thanks.gif
for posts #1 and #2.

Last coach took final 4 talent and sleepwalked through the season. This coach wastes nothing. I see improvement in every player so far this season and they play hard the entire game. Could not make those statements last year. I still think they are a .500 team but they are doing "more with less".

I wonder how long this temporary love fest with Tyndall is going to last? I think he is a great coach but we are getting ready to get into the meat of our schedule and VOLS fans have short memories. If we are 5-5 over these next ten games I will be surprised.

Agreed. Schedule about to get A LOT harder. However, with CDT's zone D, it gives UT a chance every game (maybe w/ exception of UK game).

The zone is a huge improvement over man to man. You must have a very talented team to play man to man now days. This fits the players we can recruit much better.

Maybe but I believe Tyndall has already bought himself a lot of good will from this start.

We're going to lose some, but if the last week has shown anything, once you get past UK it's almost wide open. It's literally anyone can beat anyone, evidenced by Miss St. beating Vandy. I also don't think this team is going to completely fall apart.

Speaking of Cuonzo Martin, his California team is 1 and 6 in last 7

From the Cal boards, sound familiar?

Someone please explain Cal BB right now
I have played BB all my life until I could not anymore. I have watched all the college and HS BB I could stand for years. I go back to the 1959 team that went to the finals two years running. I have loved it when we won, grimaced when we lost. But for the life of me I do not know what is going on right now. We started well, and then Bird got injured. But more than that is going on. Against WSU, USC, and now UCLA this team is one of the worst teams I have ever seen at Cal. And not knowing who calls what shots I have no idea who the blame lives with. Are Singer and Moute a Bidas told absolutely not to shoot by Cuonzo? If so, it is on him. You cannot play BB three against five unless those three are all world, which ours are not. Is Singer (for whom I asked patience just recently) just not the BB player he was in Florida. He will not take a shot. God I feel sorry for Matthews, Kravish (who is disappointing, but trying), and Wallace. It is just a joke when they bring the ball downcourt against UCLA. Pass around to find what? it is also a joke on the inside, but I do not think we can help that, but with time.

This has become a total reversal to very cr*ppy BB. What worries me is that if I were Rabb, Swanigan, or any of the other recruits why in the heck would I want to come to Cal to rescue Cuonzo's dead horse? Why not any offer from any of the top teams. Four games ago I would not have even thought that let alone say it. And yes, I called for patience after the WSU game, but folks this is, in fact, getting ridiculous. I think Kravish may already have his head in his half white coat, and not on the court. And I love David Kravish as a person and player, but he has disappeared when needed most. Biggest point 3 on 5 doesn't work.

From the Cal boards, sound familiar?

Someone please explain Cal BB right now
I have played BB all my life until I could not anymore. I have watched all the college and HS BB I could stand for years. I go back to the 1959 team that went to the finals two years running. I have loved it when we won, grimaced when we lost. But for the life of me I do not know what is going on right now. We started well, and then Bird got injured. But more than that is going on. Against WSU, USC, and now UCLA this team is one of the worst teams I have ever seen at Cal. And not knowing who calls what shots I have no idea who the blame lives with. Are Singer and Moute a Bidas told absolutely not to shoot by Cuonzo? If so, it is on him. You cannot play BB three against five unless those three are all world, which ours are not. Is Singer (for whom I asked patience just recently) just not the BB player he was in Florida. He will not take a shot. God I feel sorry for Matthews, Kravish (who is disappointing, but trying), and Wallace. It is just a joke when they bring the ball downcourt against UCLA. Pass around to find what? it is also a joke on the inside, but I do not think we can help that, but with time.

This has become a total reversal to very cr*ppy BB. What worries me is that if I were Rabb, Swanigan, or any of the other recruits why in the heck would I want to come to Cal to rescue Cuonzo's dead horse? Why not any offer from any of the top teams. Four games ago I would not have even thought that let alone say it. And yes, I called for patience after the WSU game, but folks this is, in fact, getting ridiculous. I think Kravish may already have his head in his half white coat, and not on the court. And I love David Kravish as a person and player, but he has disappeared when needed most. Biggest point 3 on 5 doesn't work.

Was this posted by HBC Butch? Lmao

VN Store

Back