Derek Reese's/Armani Moore's Improvement

iKrager

Deserves its own thread. Both have stepped up into important roles this season, and we would not be where we are now without them.

Derek Reese is really learning how to play without the ball in his hands and is making some very nice cuts to the basket. I just know a lot of people were doubting Derek Reese early on but now his length, hustle and athleticism are finally showing. My only nit pick: Reese needs to get that "one bad play per game" out of his system. Every game (or so it seems) he has a really bone headed move. Other than that, Reese is really playing his best ball right now and is FINALLY using his size to attack the rim.

Armarni Moore. How can I even start? Huge improvement from last year. He's making jump shots, hard off balance drives, absorbing contact, and becoming a real pest defensively. Without a doubt, Armani is our second most important player. If he can keep hustling and providing energy to our team, expect great things from Armani for the rest of this year and next year too.

Great game tonight guys. Let's get those Gamecocks.

Reactions: 4 people
Both of these players benefited the most by the coaching change.
It's a coaching AND system change. Derek Reese got motivated to stop being a jump shooter under Tyndall. Armani Moore knows he's an upperclassmen and has to step up if we want to win.

That's just my take on it at least.

Reactions: 2 people
You've played well, stop patting yourself on the back. :)

Seriously though without Reese we would would be screwed down low. With JYD out and Willie not really giving much, you could argue Reese is our second most important player. I never thought I'd say that. Tries to poke on someone every game it seems, love the aggressiveness. CDT been feeding him raw meat and gun powder. Lol

My boy Armani, been riding that bandwagon for awhile. He just does everything, dude is so strong.

Reactions: 3 people
I believe it was against Bama that Reese had just an absolutely horrible, terrible game. He looked like the worst major college athlete in history. Since then he has really stepped it up big time and looked much better. Hopefully he starts coming into his own.

I believe it was against Bama that Reese had just an absolutely horrible, terrible game. He looked like the worst major college athlete in history. Since then he has really stepped it up big time and looked much better. Hopefully he starts coming into his own.
He's had a few head scratcher games. I'll be honest, I was so mad we couldn't score that my frustration prevented me from seeing all aspects of the game. What was Derek doing that was so bad? I remember when he got double teamed, he tried to dribble out of it and ended up travelling. I don't know what you mean by him being the worst athlete you've ever seen. Real question, not getting offended or anything :p

Reese's rebounding is helping us out big time. Moore needs to take the ball to the rim more often. He's extremely strong, and he has a nice basketball touch. If we had a true PG off the bench, and one very consistent three shooter, we'd be very hard to beat most nights. We had tons of opportunities to break tonight's game wide open, but we failed to hit open threes, etc. Still, no matter what happens, I'm extremely proud of this team.

(They) went to sleep on those VOLS!
I am so proud of these two young men! They are stepping up where it really counts...in the SEC! They knew it was important to show leadership at this point! Now, what I would like to see is our young ones step up and become impact players!
Kentucky better watch out! A month away from now is a long time for a team to get better Ane better! KEY WORD: OPTIMISTIC! Lol

Reese's & Moore's improvement is a wonderful thing. Reese is the best rebounder on the team followed by Moore.Their roles have changed from last years team. We had 2 big strong brutes clearing the paint & snatching boards in Stokes & J Maymon, J McRae was a good rebounder also. Reese was needed to shoot the outside shot last year,but he & Moore has to play the paint & rebound this year.I think coach T is doing a wonderful job,but the players roles did change a lot from last years team. Go Vols!

Reese's rebounding is helping us out big time. Moore needs to take the ball to the rim more often. He's extremely strong, and he has a nice basketball touch. If we had a true PG off the bench, and one very consistent three shooter, we'd be very hard to beat most nights. We had tons of opportunities to break tonight's game wide open, but we failed to hit open threes, etc. Still, no matter what happens, I'm extremely proud of this team.

Armani struggles going hard to the hole bc of his handle.

Armani struggles going hard to the hole bc of his handle.

100% correct. That is my knock on Armani, but agree with all about the vast improvement of both Reese and Moore's game. DT can coach.
I refer to this team as coming from the "Land of Misfit Toys"
A bunch of cast offs who have now found a home.
As far as Reese being bad offensively against bama, did you see anyone in Orange (second half) that wasn't? Just one of those days and it has been forgotten.

Coaching up, Armani! "You guys think about it now, he's 6'4", 210 lbs, playing every minute tonight at the 4, and he gets a double-double in the SEC. That has nothing to do with anything but guts and toughness and being resilient." Bob Kesling, "Let's just talk about his utility and how you coach him up. Coming into the game he was 1 of 14 from 3. At the start of the 2nd half he comes right out and takes one and misses it but he didn't bat an eye. Next time he's open, he takes one and makes it." Donnie, "Well, you know, I told him before the game I'm gonna run something for you to shoot a 3. Now quit acting like you can't make it, jump up, and stick it in the rim. And he missed the first one and I said I'm coming right back to you and it's money. I told the whole bench that. And when he makes the 2nd one, Detrick Mostella stood up and high fived me and said, "I hear you, coach, I hear you!" "If there's anyone who could appreciate someone getting a 3 pointer up, it's Detrick, you know!"

Reactions: 3 people
Moore handles the ball just fine in the post. He sometimes struggles bringing the ball up the floor because he gets in a hurry, but his handles are fine when attacking the rim from the post, etc. He's also our best back to the basket player right now.

Reactions: 1 person
Watch how his aggressive, drive to the rim game opens up like the Red Sea when he starts consistently raining 3's.

A great move to put Reese in for Carmichael. Carmichael seems to be a slow learner keeps making the same mistakes game after game. You can see the frustration on Donnie's face when he has to come out with several silly fouls.

The real MVP was Cheivous after that dive on the floor, for the loose ball.

Seriously tho great job by these two. I hope they continue to make strides. GBO

Reactions: 2 people
A great move to put Reese in for Carmichael. Carmichael seems to be a slow learner keeps making the same mistakes game after game. You can see the frustration on Donnie's face when he has to come out with several silly fouls.

Seems like Carmichael picks up at least 2 fouls during warm-ups.

Both of these players benefited the most by the coaching change.

And the departure of Jarnell and other good bigs last year certainly helped. Both have greatly improved but let's don't attribute too much of it to coaching changes. They got to practice every day behind some pretty good players and they are now getting their chance--and making the most of it.

Reactions: 1 person
And the departure of Jarnell and other good bigs last year certainly helped. Both have greatly improved but let's don't attribute too much of it to coaching changes. They got to practice every day behind some pretty good players and they are now getting their chance--and making the most of it.

I don't buy into coaches developing players that much, coaches can help but improvement is mostly about a players desire to get better and more PT. That being said the coaching change helped because of the system, they are better suited for this style vs Zo's. IMO

I don't buy into coaches developing players that much, coaches can help but improvement is mostly about a players desire to get better and more PT. That being said the coaching change helped because of the system, they are better suited for this style vs Zo's. IMO

I totally agree...u can put a player in better position to succeed but the development is on the player himself.

As long as the whole team plays like they're still on the playground we'll be o.k. Take away the playground and we're done, and...done. That's the secret to our success. :yes:

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back