Just how good can Josh Richardson get?

iKrager

We all knew this thread was coming soon or later.. As we all know, Josh is having a great year thus far playing the role of PG, switching from his natural role as a wing player.

During the last three games Josh is averaging:
- 16 ppg, 5rpg, 3apg (9 apg to 7 TO ratio), 2.33 stl pg, and 2.33 fouls per game.

And all season long:
- 16.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 3.5 apg (3.5 apg to 2.4 TOs), 2.3 stl pg and 2.4 fouls per game.

I wonder how good Josh can become because:

- This is his first year playing PG, and he's actually one of the SEC's top PGs
- His dribbling is one par with the rest of the point guards in the country.
- Known as one of the best defenders in the entire country and there probably isn't a better "lock-down" defender than Josh
- If he sticks with PG, he'll be one of the taller PGs in the NBA (or whatever professional path he chooses).
- Very athletic and can score just about anyway there is to score.
- Has improved every year so far, and finally understands how to be "the guy".

So here's the discussion part. How much do you think Josh can improve? What role will he play after college? And finally, do you think he will be selected in this year's draft and if so, for what position (defender, scorer, backup pg to develop, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Isn't this just going to become a "let's nitpick Richardson's game" thread?

It definetely showcases another dimension of his game. He has played the role of captain, ball distributor, leading scorer and best defensive player simultaneously this season.

Not many other players have the responsibility that he does. Without him this team is NO DOUBT below 500.

I'm not sure where he'll play next year. It has been amazing to see his 3 point shot progress over his career and obviously at point this year

Isn't this just going to become a "let's nitpick Richardson's game" thread?
No. This is "lets talk about all the ways Josh can improve and get better" thread. I probably should have gone into further detail about his game he already has.

Offensive game:
- great handles
- can get into the paint against just about any defense
- fantastic mid range game
- improving 3 point shot

Defensive game:
- great defender
- super lengthy and athletic to get into passing lanes
- hustler

No. This is "lets talk about all the ways Josh can improve and get better" thread. I probably should have gone into further detail about his game he already has.

Offensive game:
- great handles
- can get into the paint against just about any defense
- fantastic mid range game
- improving 3 point shot

Defensive game:
- great defender
- super lengthy and athletic to get into passing lanes
- hustler

If you say so. I'll just leave you guys to it.

I said last year he would be a better pro than Jordy, I don't think he stays at the 1 though. I honestly see (non crazy) Stephen Jackson when I watch Josh. Really good defender, tough, long, a bit of an edge, decent 3 pt shooter, great mid-range game, good rebounder and passer, average NBA athletic ability, good handle. I think with the right coach in 3-4 years he can be a borderline all star. In a perfect world he ends up in S.A. That is in no way a knock, when his head was on straight S-Jax was a bad mofo.

Last edited:
I said last year he would be a better pro than Jordy, I don't think he stays at the 1 though. I honestly see (non crazy) Stephen Jackson when I watch Josh. Good defender, tough, long, a bit of an edge, decent 3 pt shooter, great mid-range game, good rebounder and passer, average NBA athletic ability, good handle. I think with the right coach in 3-4 years he can be a borderline all star. In a perfect world he ends up in S.A. That is in no way a knock, when his head was on straight S-Jax was a bad mofo.

I agree. S.A or Memphis(feels weird to suggest Memphis as the place for a ball player)

I'll add his jumper has improved every yr so far so there's really no reason to think it's peeked.

Btw I'd love to see him as an NBA all star.

Last edited:
Definitely an NBAer.

It's really hard to critique his game. Obviously less TOs a game is preferabe, but for a first time PG in a major conference, it's outstanding and it's something that will only be improved.

If you can continue to shoot 40%+ from 3, I don't see why he can't be a first round pick. He's got it all.

Last edited:
I agree. S.A or Memphis(feels weird to suggest Memphis as the place for a ball player)

I'll add his jumper has improved every yr so far so there's really no reason to think it's peeked.

Btw I'd love to see him as an NBA all star.

The thing that impresses me about Josh is every year he has improved at a pretty good clip. And he doesn't improve one thing at a time like a lot of guys do, its multiple areas. He really appears to be a sponge, that's why I think Pop would be perfect for him. He takes marginal talent and makes it really good. I never give praise just because a guy is in orange, but I really think Pop could make him a potential All Star. And his game and personality screams Spurs. IMO

The thing that impresses me about Josh is every year he has improved at a pretty good clip. And he doesn't improve one thing at a time like a lot of guys do, its multiple areas. He really appears to be a sponge, that's why I think Pop would be perfect for him. He takes marginal talent and makes it really good. I never give praise just because a guy is in orange, but I really think Pop could make him a potential All Star. And his game and personality screams Spurs. IMO

I've always kinda clowned bandwagon Colts and Broncos fans but if that happened I'm immediately a Spurs fan. lol

Last edited:
Interesting note: Richardson only has 8 blocks on the season compared to last season he had 30 blocks total. If Richardson continues at the current rate he's on, he won't get 30 blocks. Do you think with our zone, it's more difficult to get blocks in this zone? I mean looking at the stats would say so.

Interesting note: Richardson only has 8 blocks on the season compared to last season he had 30 blocks total. If Richardson continues at the current rate he's on, he won't get 30 blocks. Do you think with our zone, it's more difficult to get blocks in this zone? I mean looking at the stats would say so.

Absolutely. If he were in his natural position... Whoo weee!!!

Another thing for scouts(if they're numbers oriented) to take into account.

For a guard absolutely, conversely it'll help increase number of steals for a player.

Honestly scouts/ GMs/ Coaches aren't going to be too concerned if, as a guard, he averages half a block a game. If he stays around 2.5 steals per game, that's a nice shiny stat for them to look at though.

Honestly scouts/ GMs/ Coaches aren't going to be too concerned if, as a guard, he averages half a block a game. If he stays around 2.5 steals per game, that's a nice shiny stat for them to look at though.

He's the poster child of versatility.

The lone worry I have is the combine. He doesn't have eye popping athleticism, and we know how combine guys will flip over some guy with a crazy vertical.

The lone worry I have is the combine. He doesn't have eye popping athleticism, and we know how combine guys will flip over some guy with a crazy vertical.
Other than Josh's vertical, what else would you say he is lacking athleticism wise? He seems pretty athletic for a 6'5 PG.

VN Store

Back