The Arkansas Postgame Report

cncchris33

Wow...what a game. We tried every which way to give it away at the end, but survive 74-69. A very unkikely performance following the slop we saw against Bama. Two totally different teams in a span of three days.

The Good...
1. Probably the best our offense and defense has played together for a 40-minute stretch all season.

2. We forced 18 TOs and scored 27 points off those TOs.

3. Arkansas' size and pace didn't seem to faze us. We went toe-to-toe with a bigger, faster-paced, 19th ranked team in the country, and if we hit our FTs, we run them out of the building.

4. We were very patient offensively and we didn't settle for early 3s like we did against Bama. We really worked the ball and made an effort to get the ball in the paint on drives or dumping it down.

5. Robert Hubbs with a major redemption effort tonight. 16 pts on 6-7 (2-2 from 3) shooting, 2 rebs, 2 stls, and only 1 TO. He was really aggressive without being out of control and took good shots (and made them). Heck of a game for him.

6. JRich just does it all. I highlight his play every week and it probably gets redundant, but his importance can't be overstated. 20 pts on 8-11 (2-4 from 3) shooting, 5 rebs, 4 assts, 2 stls, and only 1 TO.

7. Armani Moore with just a complete game, and some ice cold FTs to seal it. 14 pts on 6-8 shooting, 8 rebs, 2 assts, 4 stls, 1 blk, and only 2 TOs.

8. We beat a bigger and deeper inside presence of Arkansas on the boards, which is pretty surprising, and held them to 10 offensive rebs.

9. Speaking of surprising, we only committed 12 total fouls.

10. After starting 3-12 from the FT line, we finished the game 11-14 down the stretch. We made them when they counted I guess.

The Bad...
1. Those 12 missed FTs...

2. We missed a lot of shots at the eim and in the paint. We can't afford that with our lack of size and depth in the post. We have to make those inside looks count.

3. Transition defense was spotty at best. Really good at times and really bad at times, and we gave up a handful of open 3s as a result.

4. Punter has really struggled over the past two games. 1-15 from the field in the last two, amd 3 TOs to 1 asst tonight. He did at least contribute from the line and on the boards tonight though.

5. Tariq Owens has a lot learn, but gaining weight and strength is paramount. He came in during the first half and in a matter of 2.5 minutes, managed to commit a foul, miss a four-foot jumper, nab a nice blocked shot, turns it over (tho credited to Baulkman), and then commit and offensive foul.

6. Willie had another forgettable performance as well. Comes off the bench and immediately commits a foul. His post moves are very limited, and he is currently to slow and deliberate with the few moves he has. This lead to getting a shot blocked in the 1st half. 2 pts, 2 rebs, 2 blks, 2 TOs, 3 fouls.

Bottom line...
What a win following the Bama game. 51% from the field, 46% from 3 (but only needed 13 shots...6-13). The trap and halfcourt defense was smothering at times, leading to 11 steals. This is the kind of win you need to beat the projections. I had us beating Bama at home in my predictions to get to 10-8 in conference, and I had us losing this game. So this was a makeup win that we really needed.

Reactions: 23 people
Great team win. Hubbs and Moore need to continue that aggressiveness.

I know our zone makes it hard but Anderson not making a more concerted effort to get Portis the ball really helped us out. Also really liked our tempo. Thought we controlled the pace and that bothered Arkansas.

Reactions: 9 people
Great team win. Hubbs and Moore need to continue that aggressiveness.

I know our zone makes it hard but Anderson not making a more concerted effort to get Portis the ball really helped us out. Also really liked our tempo. Thought we controlled the pace and that bothered Arkansas.

Agree on the tempo, and isn't it ironic that the team playing a SG/SF at PG looked more comfortable with that pace and tempo, forcing more TOs and creating more steals.

Reactions: 3 people
I want to start by saying that I was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I thought Arky had a strength that was our weakness. We don't defend the 3 well and they shoot it well. Apparently Arky is an inside-out 3 point shooting team. We lock down teams from doing much down low with the matchup zone, so it made it very hard for Arky to get into any kind of rhythm. Can't be an inside-out offense if you can't get the ball inside.

Secondly, how crazy is it that our team, with basically no real, traditional inside presence is able to play so well on defense on the interior. I mean, we still rebound very poorly, but it is still amazing to me. We should be so much worse this year and we just aren't. We defy my expectations at every turn.

I was also wrong about Hubbs. The other day I said that he just looks like an average player. That all I have seen from him is a player that can knock down open shots, which any college guard should be able to do. Tonight he finally showed flashes and attributes that he could still be something special, it will just take more time. So maybe he can progress and grow like Hopson did after all and eventually become the 5 star we expected him to be.

So yeah, I thought we would get blown out and I was close to giving up on Hubbs. Wrong on all accounts. Feels good

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Agree on the tempo, and isn't it ironic that the team playing a SG/SF at PG looked more comfortable with that pace and tempo, forcing more TOs and creating more steals.

Remember Cuonzo always decided to play fast with Arkansas and Arkansas always struggled with it? Tyndall did the same thing and it worked. Arkansas tries to exert a faster tempo and then it gets out of control for them.

Reactions: 2 people
Can Y'all believe that the SEC Halftime Highlights featured Arkansas like they won the game? I want to punch those commentator guys in the face.

They did not show any TN offensive plays or Defensive plays. All they showed was Arkansas with possession of the ball. SMDH:bad:

Reactions: 7 people
Can Y'all believe that the SEC Halftime Highlights featured Arkansas like they won the game? I want to punch those commentator guys in the face.

They did not show any TN offensive plays or Defensive plays. All they showed was Arkansas with possession of the ball. SMDH:bad:

Seriously. Such horses**t.

Reactions: 1 person

I thought Arky had a strength that was our weakness. We don't defend the 3 well and they shoot it well. Apparently Arky is an inside-out 3 point shooting team. We lock down teams from doing much down low with the matchup zone, so it made it very hard for Arky to get into any kind of rhythm. Can't be an inside-out offense if you can't get the ball inside.

Secondly, how crazy is it that our team, with basically no real, traditional inside presence is able to play so well on defense on the interior. I mean, we still rebound very poorly, but it is still amazing to me. We should be so much worse this year and we just aren't. We defy my expectations at every turn.

I was also wrong about Hubbs. The other day I said that he just looks like an average player. That all I have seen from him is a player that can knock down open shots, which any college guard should be able to do. Tonight he finally showed flashes and attributes that he could still be something special, it will just take more time. So maybe he can progress and grow like Hopson did after all and eventually become the 5 star we expected him to be.

So yeah, I thought we would get blown out and I was close to giving up on Hubbs. Wrong on all accounts. Feels good

We rebounded right with these guys tonight. 33-32 I think.
Beat them at:
points in the paint.
points off turnovers
and fast break points.
Our press really bothered them. 18 TOs 20+ fouls.
They beat us on the foul line though.
Where'd these guys come from?

To be fair, outside of the doom and gloom re: Hubbs, those were all valid concerns leading into tonight.

How did Reese do starting tonight? I didn't get to watch the game. Looks like he was scrappy and aggressive in the highlight reel.

Remember Cuonzo always decided to play fast with Arkansas and Arkansas always struggled with it? Tyndall did the same thing and it worked. Arkansas tries to exert a faster tempo and then it gets out of control for them.

True, but it seems to work for them vs. other opponents. Maybe it's a Tennessee thing...lol.

Last edited:
True, but it seems to work for then vs. other opponents. Maybe it's a Tennessee thing...lol.

Surprised me. thought donnie would slow it down and ugly it up.
Played this game at 70 possessions which is closer to Arkies pace.

Played Bama at 58 poss closer to our own avg and got drubbed.
Zone cause that?

Good win tonight. This team is what I expected after watching the first few games of the new season. They will have some head scratching losses like we did versus Bammer, and win some games we probably shouldn't. If we keep improving, we will have a legit shot at the tournament. If the dance started today, as it stands now, I believe we would find ourselves slightly off the bubble, and on the outside looking in. We have 15 more conference games left to make some noise. I think we'll need to win at least 8 of those to be on the bubble and able to work ourselves in by winning a game or two in the SECT.

How did Reese do starting tonight? I didn't get to watch the game. Looks like he was scrappy and aggressive in the highlight reel.

Reese was pickin and poppin early.
He and Moore did a great job denying Portis the ball. Portis did most of his scoring very late in the game when they made their run. Fatigue factor for our short bench..

He started the game playing really well, but finished quietly. Scored 6 points, but all in the first half IIRC. Interior offense is still new to him, but he shows some flashes. He is basically choosing to try and develop that aspect of his game like we all hoped Renaldo Woolridge would several years ago.

VN Store

Back