The Official Tennessee vs. #19 Arkansas Game Thread, 7:00pm ET, ESPNU

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Tennessee Volunteers: 9- (1-1 SEC)

retin-obasohan-robert-hubbs-iii-ncaa-basketball-alabama-tennessee.jpg

vs.

#19 Arkansas Razorbacks: 13-2 (2-0 SEC)

Vanderbilt_Arkansas_B_Jone_r600x400.jpg

7:00 PM ET, January 13, 2015
Thompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville, Tennessee

Line: UT +3
O/U:

TV: ESPNU
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: N/A
Online: WatchESPN

Senior guard Josh Richardson has scored at least 15 points in 11 of UT's 14 games this season.

Among all SEC players, nobody scores a higher percentage of his team's total points than Richardson.
He has scored 25.3 percent of Tennessee's points.

Over the last six games, UT has held its opponents to 53.7 ppg.

Tennessee's strength-of-schedule ranks 18th nationally according to ESPN's BPI.

Tennessee's official NCAA RPI is 60th, as of Sunday. Arkansas is No. 22 in the RPI.

Reactions: 2 people
Overall: Tennessee leads 18-14, dating to 1936

In Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 10-2

In Fayetteville: Arkansas leads, 7-4

Neutral Sites: Series tied, 4-4

Current Streak: Tennessee has won one

Last Meeting: Tennessee won, 81-74, in Knoxville 1/22/14

Tyndall vs. Anderson: No meetings

Prevent Tennessee's first home losing streak of the season.

Mark Donnie Tyndall's third career head coaching victory over a ranked opponent (his second as UT's coach).

Give the Vols multiple wins over ranked teams for the ninth time in 10 seasons (none last year).

Give Tennessee five straight home wins vs Arkansas.

To make this game close and give ourselves a chance to win we need to use the Clemson model.
We must control the pace. they like 72+ possessions a game, we play at 61.
That means stretching the clock on every possession on both sides of the floor.
We need UGLY and controlled.
We need some luck. (or perimeter defense)
When they lost at Clemson they shot 29% from the arc.
Normally they shoot 38.9% from the 3. And they shoot lots of them(fewer lately).
Portis: Pretty much unstoppable without an inside presence.
Have to limit his touches?
If we can control pace and they're not on fire from the 3, I think the game will come down to the Richardson vs Qualls match up.
Last season richie held Qualls to 1 point. This Qualls is healthier and much improved.
Of course, our guys have to 'run some offense' and shoot their averages or better.
Tough match up. Any ideas?

Reactions: 1 person
Game day! Going to be an extremely tough matchup, they have a lot of length around the rim, and we don't so they will kill us inside and on the glass. Would be a huge win if we can get it! If we can't get this one, we deff need to win Saturday at Mizzou!

Anyone know if we are going to here about Tyndalls punishment this week?

Go vols!!!

Reactions: 1 person
To make this game close and give ourselves a chance to win we need to use the Clemson model.
We must control the pace. they like 72+ possessions a game, we play at 61.
That means stretching the clock on every possession on both sides of the floor.
We need UGLY and controlled.
We need some luck. (or perimeter defense)
When they lost at Clemson they shot 29% from the arc.
Normally they shoot 38.9% from the 3. And they shoot lots of them(fewer lately).
Portis: Pretty much unstoppable without an inside presence.
Have to limit his touches?
If we can control pace and they're not on fire from the 3, I think the game will come down to the Richardson vs Qualls match up.
Last season richie held Qualls to 1 point. This Qualls is healthier and much improved.
Of course, our guys have to 'run some offense' and shoot their averages or better.
Tough match up. Any ideas?

Very concerned with how we let people get open looks from 3 on a consistent basis. That could really hurt us tonight. Arkansas is a really good 3 point shooting team, like you said. I'm at loss when it comes to Portis. He's a monster and we don't really have the personnel to counter him. Do we pack it in and give up the 3 hoping they miss or do we extend the zone and let Portis get his while limiting 3 point looks? I'm interested to see what we do here. Which way do you think we go Calban?

Very concerned with how we let people get open looks from 3 on a consistent basis. That could really hurt us tonight. Arkansas is a really good 3 point shooting team, like you said. I'm at loss when it comes to Portis. He's a monster and we don't really have the personnel to counter him. Do we pack it in and give up the 3 hoping they miss or do we extend the zone and let Portis get his while limiting 3 point looks? I'm interested to see what we do here. Which way do you think we go Calban?

I think it depends on which Arkansas comes thru the door.
If it's the real team, I think we're looking at a 20+ beat down no matter how we play.
If we're lucky and it's the 'Roadie Crew', I think we'll pretty much let Portis have his, but try to deny the ball to him. Then the game will come down to how well we can play with Madden , Bell and Qualls.
If the Roadie Crew shows I'd say it'll be a 5 point game with a chance to win at the end.
PS
In answer to your question, we'll have to extend. Their worst 3 pt shooter hits at about 33%.

Last edited:
I think it depends on which Arkansas comes thru the door.
If it's the real team, I think we're looking at a 20+ beat down no matter how we play.
If we're lucky and it's the 'Roadie Crew', I think we'll pretty much let Portis have his, but try to deny the ball to him. Then the game will come down to how well we can play with Madden , Bell and Qualls.
If the Roadie Crew shows I'd say it'll be a 5 point game with a chance to win at the end.
PS
In answer to your question, we'll have to extend. Their worst 3 pt shooter hits at about 33%.

I was leaning towards spreading the zone out as well. Seems like we stand a better shot at limiting the three ball and giving up Portis than trying to stop him. I think we need to hope that Arkansas doesn't show up and we shoot well from deep.

I got my nephew a ticket to this game for his 1st ever. Hope our Vols come out with fire and make this a lasting memory that will make him a lifetime fan, like my 1st experience did me.

Reactions: 3 people
Like Tammy Wynette sings, Stand By Your Man, I'm standing by all of the Men on the UT Basketball Team today and every day. I'm with them all the way...win, lose or draw!

Go Vols...You Can Do It!​
:cheer:

Reactions: 3 people
like tammy wynette sings, stand by your man, i'm standing by all of the men on the ut basketball team today and every day. I'm with them all the way...win, lose or draw!

go vols...you can do it!​
:cheer:

me too!!!!!

VN Store

Back