TN @ MI St "Important Post Game Notes"

iKrager

Final Score: 61-47 Tennessee Win
Total fouls on TN: 32

- Detrick Mostella seemed to have hurt his left ankle and couldn't return to the game. Also noted that Detrick was holding his ankle the entire time on the bench.

-Derek Reese has received boss status from every fan who caught the game. Potential top 10 play. (Check it out if you missed it)

-Josh Richardson only scored 11 points but had 7 rebounds, 5 assist and 2 stls.

-Robert Hubbs looked very aggressive in shot selection and consistently attacked the rim. Scored 8 pts 1-3 from 3 and 3-4 from the foul line.

-Tariq Owens (freshmen) is too skinny to be an effective post in the SEC currently. We're really going to miss Jabari McGhee if he chooses to redshirt or if he can even get healthy in time.

-Armani Moore had a rough game. 0 pts 0-3 shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 4 turnovers and 5 fouls. As did Willie Carmichael (freshmen), he shot 0-3 and had 5 fouls in 22 minutes played.

-Devon Baulkman (JUCO) and Kevin Punter both had solid performances. Devon scored 10 pts, 3-7 total shooting and 2-4 from 3. Kevin scored 15 pts, shot 4-8, and 2-3 from 3.

-Tennessee had 32 total fouls. Though that's a lot, the officiating was the worst I've seen all season. We did commit some stupid fouls this game but there were far too many head scratchers.

Thanks for reading and like always, Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
Good win! Deff was not pretty, but like I have said this team will not win pretty games, they are a scrappy team that plays hard, and will need to make all of the games ugly in order to have a chance.

Couple things: hopefully mostella is okay can't afford to lose another guy. I thought punter and Hubbs were both aggressive, and Reese did a nice job on the boards, and oh of course with the dagger turn around 3!

Sets up a huge game with Bama Saturday at home! Would be a great win if we could get it! Would go to 10-4 2-0, which would be an awesome start for this team! It won't be easy but I think we can beat them! Nice win tonight! 9-4 1-0!! Pretty good! Go Vols!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for this. It was a very ugly game. I caught the last few minutes of the 1st and 2nd. Refs were ****ing terrible. Like you said, I was happy to see Hubbs being aggressive at times, something he needs to learn to do.

MSU is a bad team. but no one should complain about winning a SEC road game by 10+/

- Detrick Mostella seemed to have hurt his left ankle and couldn't return to the game. Also noted that Detrick was holding his ankle the entire time on the bench.

-Derek Reese has received boss status from every fan who caught the game. Potential top 10 play. (Check it out if you missed it)

-Robert Hubbs looked very aggressive in shot selection and consistently attacked the rim. Scored 8 pts 1-3 from 3 and 3-4 from the foul line.

-Tariq Owens (freshmen) is too skinny to be an effective post in the SEC currently. We're really going to miss Jabari McGhee if he chooses to redshirt.

-Armani Moore had a rough game. 0 pts 0-3 shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 4 turnovers and 5 turnovers. As did Willie Carmichael (freshmen), he shot 0-3 and had 5 fouls in 22 minutes played.

-Devon Baulkman (JUCO) and Kevin Punter both had solid performances. Devon scored 10 pts, 3-7 total shooting and 2-4 from 3. Kevin scored 15 pts, shot 4-8, and 2-3 from 3.

Four turnovers and five turnovers...tough night indeed! :)

What was the possible Top 10 play by Reese?

UT had 2 seconds left on the shot clock and had to inbound the ball. Miss St had gotten the lead down to 8. Reese caught the inbounds pass and turned around and jacked a 3 as the shot clock expired.

-Tariq Owens (freshmen) is too skinny to be an effective post in the SEC currently. We're really going to miss Jabari McGhee if he chooses to redshirt or if he can even get healthy in time.
-Armani Moore had a rough game. 0 pts 0-3 shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 4 turnovers and 5 turnovers. As did Willie Carmichael (freshmen), he shot 0-3 and had 5 fouls in 22 minutes played.
-Tennessee had 32 total fouls. Though that's a lot, the officiating was the worst I've seen all season. We did commit some stupid fouls this game but there were far too many head scratchers.
Good observations! New saying for VolNation: "They're gonna be on the happy plane!" :)

Thanks for this. It was a very ugly game. I caught the last few minutes of the 1st and 2nd. Refs were ****ing terrible. Like you said, I was happy to see Hubbs being aggressive at times, something he needs to learn to do.
MSU is a bad team. but no one should complain about winning a SEC road game by 10+/
Don't know if they were as bad as our defense made them look!

TN has a 12-2 lead, Richardson sits down with 2 quick fouls about 8 minutes in. Miss State goes on a run, TN goes about 10 minutes without a basket.

There was one foul on a fast break where one of our guys did not even touch the State player, worst officiating ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
And the refs swallowed their whistles as TN was getting mugged. Outside of Rupp, I don't know if I've ever seen such one sided officiating.

A win is a win. Especially on the road. But we are going to really miss Jabari during confrence play this year.

I remember a while back I was not sure about what was meant by "ugly win!" Tonight, I learned!!!! LOl! But a WIN is a WIN!

Reactions: 3 people
There was one foul on a fast break where one of our guys did not even touch the State player, worst officiating ever.

Wasn't just one play. I saw at least 4 fouls called that were totally phantom fouls. The Tennessee players and CDT looked totally bewildered on each of those calls. And at least one or two where about 12 feet from the basket, a MS State player would get the ball then headbutt one of our guys, not even making a motion to the basket and our guy would get called for the foul. Ridiculous officiating. But we won, so that's all that matters!

Good win! We just need to put it together for a whole game. Offensively we definitely have to get more consistent .

Final Score: 61-47 Tennessee Win
Total fouls on TN: 32

-Armani Moore had a rough game. 0 pts 0-3 shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 4 turnovers and 5 fouls. As did Willie Carmichael (freshmen), he shot 0-3 and had 5 fouls in 22 minutes played.

Glad to see this...he is showing great improvement.

-I'm not one to complain about officiating usually, but my gosh, that was an embarrassment last night. It wasn't so much the discrepancy in the number of foul calls between teams either, though we did have as many FT attempts as MSU had makes. Still, we once again were lazy and sloppy on the ball and deserved a lot of the calls against us, but the definition of a "foul" was all over the place last night.

-Armani Moore played perhaps his worst game as a Vol last night. Frustrated is the best word to describe his performance and body language. One bad play just led to another, and he never was able to get anything going.

-Willie Carmichael was right behind Moore. The kid just doesn't know how to play defense without fouling, which is funny judging by his reaction to almost EVERY foul called against him. He also needs some serious work on his offensive post moves.

-For as bad as Armani Moore was, Derek Reese was all the better.

Last 5 games...
Moore: 5.6 pts, 37% shooting, 6.8 rebs, 3.2 assts, 1.4 stls, 1.0 blks, 2.8 TOs, 2.6 fouls
Reese: 6.2 pts, 48% shooting, 5.8 rebs, 0.2 assts, 0 stls, 1.0 blks, 1.4 TOs, 1.4 fouls

Moore contributes more in terms of assists and steals, but Reese is much more efficient offensively, takes better care of the ball, fouls less, and rebounds at a similar rate. Reese is starting to earn some of Armani's minutes IMO.

-MSU was atrocious shooting the ball from anywhere last night. 30.6% fg/11% 3fg/54.5% ft. They did beat us in the paint scoring 20-8. We weren't a whole lot better overall (35.4%) and couldn't buy a basket inside (7-28 inside the 3-point line). We actually finished with more made 3s than 2s, but we shot well from the FT line.

-Even on a bad shooting night, JRich finds a way to contribute. 11 pts on 3-13 shooting is bad (though out of character), but 7 rebs, 5 assts, and 2 stls takes the sting out of the poor shooting percentage.

-We destroyed them on the boards (44-28), which is strange given our usual inability to rebound at a high level and MSU's size advantage (Ware is 6-9, Black is 6-9, Ndoye is 6-11). Perhaps skewed somewhat by their number of missed FTs, and the advantage of the defense's automatic inside position on the block at the FT line.

-Another solid effort by Hubbs, who is averaging 9 ppg on 48% shooting (38.4% from 3), 2.5 rebs, 2.5 assts, 1 blk, 0.5 stl, and 0.25 TOs per game over his last 4 games. Playing time has been his reward as he is averaging 23 mpg in that span, and he is making the most of it while not trying to do too much. I could still go for a little more aggression honestly, but we'll take baby steps.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back