Vols Down to 9 Active Scholarship Players

CAVol

Chiles having shoulder surgery.

Bonds appeal denied officially. Will redshirt.

McGhee may be out for the year. (AD?)

All per Tyndalls press conference this afternoon.

Last edited:
Sucks for Chiles. He just can't get healthy. As for Bonds, no words, I never really followed it, but 'I'm guessing he still has his year of eligibility left. Jabari was a loss but I think with his drive and work ethic that we've seen and heard, he'll come back stronger. Vols can manage without him, but to bad he got hurt.

Reactions: 1 person
May Liberty be a bottom dweller forever and never make the dance again for not granting Bonds a full release.

Reactions: 6 people
Sucks for Chiles. He just can't get healthy. As for Bonds, no words, I never really followed it, but 'I'm guessing he still has his year of eligibility left. Jabari was a loss but I think with his drive and work ethic that we've seen and heard, he'll come back stronger. Vols can manage without him, but to bad he got hurt.

Bonds will redshirt and have 4 years left.

Missing Jabari in the post will hurt especially since they tend to foul a whole lot. I'm hoping Reese builds on what he did against ETSU. I thought he had a great game. We need him in the post rebounding.

Is this new info on McGhee? I thought he was scheduled to be back it about 4-5 more weeks?

OK. let's go to the positive side in the new year. Next year Jabari will be the big man we need after gaining 15-20 pounds. Now it is more likely that the other Braxton, the 5 star, will come to Tennessee to play with his best friend and since we are so close to Nashville which was the main reason we have the point guard walk on. They will have another year to be teammates. Parents love to watch their kids play, don't you know? Also, Galen Campbell, the junior walk on could see some minutes now.

Is this new info on McGhee? I thought he was scheduled to be back it about 4-5 more weeks?

You have to think where that puts him in the schedule though, and is he fully healed and 100% in that time? Foot injuries are tricky and typically not the type of injuries you want to rush back from. 4-5 weeks brings him back in early February at the earliest, and potentially not at 100%. Is risking further injury worth playing in 8-10 games by that point? I think he is probably best served by getting proper rest and treatment, and being fully ready for next season with a medical RS this year. JMO though.

Reactions: 3 people
Forgot about Campbell. I bet he will be worked into the rotation for a few minutes. If TN can get a big lead on Miss State I bet he'll play.

I think Tyndall only wants to play eight or nine anyway so he still has enough players. Another injury or two would be a killer hopefully the remaining guys can all stay healthy. The main worry would be Baulkman who has a shoulder that needs surgery just trying to make it through the season.

OK. let's go to the positive side in the new year. Next year Jabari will be the big man we need after gaining 15-20 pounds. Now it is more likely that the other Braxton, the 5 star, will come to Tennessee to play with his best friend and since we are so close to Nashville which was the main reason we have the point guard walk on. They will have another year to be teammates. Parents love to watch their kids play, don't you know? Also, Galen Campbell, the junior walk on could see some minutes now.
You know, I really don't know if there will be an option other than playing Galen some especially in the event of foul trouble. Would be great experience for him if he can log some minutes. Galen is a 2 guard who has been with the program for 3 years. In high school these were his accomplishments:
A quick left-hander excels at getting to the rim and is a natural scorer.
Earned TSWA All-State honors as a senior in 2011, averaging 24 points and 9.0 rebounds per game while leading the Falcons to the TSSAA Class AA state quarterfinals and a 21-11 overall record.
He averaged 17.9 points and 7.2 rebounds as a junior in 2010.
He holds the Fulton record for scoring 1,000 career points faster than any other player in program history.
Played summer ball with the Tennessee Travelers AAU program and was a teammate of fellow Vols guard Brandon Lopez for three years.

You have to think where that puts him in the schedule though, and is he fully healed and 100% in that time? Foot injuries are tricky and typically not the type of injuries you want to rush back from. 4-5 weeks brings him back in early February at the earliest, and potentially not at 100%. Is risking further injury worth playing in 8-10 games by that point? I think he is probably best served by getting proper rest and treatment, and being fully ready for next season with a medical RS this year. JMO though.

We need him, especially in the later grind of the SEC. Hope he makes it back sooner than later.

Losing JM hurt. The others not so much. I hope we can get a true center so Jabari won't have to play out of position at the 5 .

That is bad news for Bonds and McGhee and Chiles but it does give Campbell and the other walk on players a chance to contribute in SEC play.

That is bad news for Bonds and McGhee and Chiles but it does give Campbell and the other walk on players a chance to contribute in SEC play.
Both Lopez and Bonds are unavailable. Campbell is the only walk on left on the team.

Totally agree with you on this! I think that will happen. This is not the season to risk aggravating what is now a minor injury that he can fully recover from.

Two other guys from Fulton worked out real well. One punted for Dallas and had the single game scoring record until Tony White got it. The other does color for a couple early telecasts every year.

VN Store

Back