The ETSU Postgame Report

cncchris33

Spotting a good team 13 points is never a good way to start a game. This season, Tennessee has done 3 things poorly; defend the 3, defensive rebounding, and fouling too much. Today they only did one of those poorly, and it resulted in a remarkable comeback win. 71-61.

The Good...
1. Only committed 12 fouls. Got away with several that went uncalled, but you'd like to expect that benefit at home. We moved our feet and really cut down on the silly reach-ins. Most of our fouls were a result of hustle. I don't mind those.

2. Dominated the boards, especially defensively, albeit to an undersized team, but who cares. 26 defensive rebs to ETSU's 3 offensive rebs.

3. 19 assts on 26 made shots. About as unselfish as you can be with the ball, and some really crisp interior passing.

4. 38-14 points in the paint. We stopped settling for 3s and took it inside, which lead to the assists and high shooting %.

5. Player of the Game: it would be easy to pick JRich or Armani Moore,and both would be deserving, but I'm going with Derek Reese. 12 pts and 5 rebs on 5-6 shooting, and only one 3-pt attempt. He really stepped up today and filled in in the paint and made his presence known. Aided by ETSU's undersized frontcourt, but he helped us win that game in the paint.

6. I'd be remiss to not mention Armani's stat line. 13 pts, 12 rebs, 7 assts, stl. He was everywhere. 3-7 from th line needs some work, but he played great.

7. Robert Hubbs came to play again. 8 pts, 2 rebs, 4 assts, blk, stl. He played 28 minutes too, and his defense is really improving as of late. His minutes seem to be coming at Baulkman's expense, and he is making the most of them. I almost wonder if Baulkman is more limited by his shoulder than we really know. His recent play hasn't really warranted leas playing time IMO, but I'm excited for RH3.

8. Willie Carmichael played well today, but needs to learn to defend and rebound without fouling. 9 pts, 5 rebs in only 13 minutes is impressive, but he was limited to 13 minutes because of foul trouble.

The Bad...
1. Still leaving good shooters wide open. Water is wet. Concerning that we would leave three shooters like Wilson, Rembert, and Riley open as much as we did. They hit tough shots in the 2nd half, but almost everything in the 1st half was wide open.

2. JRich and Armani were a little sloppy with the ball, leading to 10 of our 13 TOs, but ETSU is a guard-oriented team, and defended on the ball well with both zone and man defense.

Overall...
We beat a good team who shot well by 10 after spotting them 13 points. That is impressively bittersweet. I'm excited that we fought and didn't mail it in on New Year's Eve with our heads elsewhere. We seem to be taking on the personality of our coach and playing with a chip on our shoulder. I'm thrilled to be 8-4 out of conference, and i think 10-8 in the SEC is attainable, which gives us a chance to work our way into the NCAA tournament discussion come March. Didn't think I'd say that a month ago. Go Vols!

Reactions: 9 people
He moved to Berkeley to be closer to Counzo

He'll arive here after SD comes here and says something far fetched or comes here and says I told you so that ETSU was good at 3 point shooting (even though we all knew that.) Give it a second man.

I'm surprised we are all able to post here and collect our thoughts without our fearless leader here to guide us.

Reactions: 9 people
BTO would have made his presence known had we lost

The only time I see him post now is when an opportunity arises to bash Tyndall

You guys are a lot more negative towards BTO than he is towards anything Vols basketball related. Think about that for a minute.

Reactions: 2 people
Did you miss the thread he started after the butler win? Not defending him. Just sayin. He's praised Tyndall on multiple occasions

Yep. Thumbs up to him, although I'm not holding my breath for this to continue.

You guys are a lot more negative towards BTO than he is towards anything Vols basketball related. Think about that for a minute.

The regulars on the basketball forum (which I don't consider myself to be) are negative towards BTO because A. He thinks he runs the bball forum. B. He is very negative towards CDT and really anything to do with the program at the moment. C. He hasn't really posted much since the NC state loss in which he criticized CDT style of play, so there is a growing trend there with him only posting after losses. I don't know him so I'm not going to attack him personally but he is a CCM whorshiper which is fine we all have our favorites. Truth of the matter is things would probably be much much worse with CCM, had he came back for this season and we would have been looking for a new coach next April anyways.

Reactions: 1 person
BTO would have made his presence known had we lost

The only time I see him post now is when an opportunity arises to bash Tyndall

He comes here win or lose. He's just more negative now than before when CCM was here. He switched roles and turned into the person he used to argue with. He defended CCM like SD defends CDT.

Reactions: 2 people
He comes here win or lose. He's just more negative now than before when CCM was here. He switched roles and turned into the person he used to argue with. He defended CCM like SD defends CDT.

Yep, the only difference is he does it on purpose just to piss people off.

The regulars on the basketball forum (which I don't consider myself to be) are negative towards BTO because A. He thinks he runs the bball forum. B. He is very negative towards CDT and really anything to do with the program at the moment. C. He hasn't really posted much since the NC state loss in which he criticized CDT style of play, so there is a growing trend there with him only posting after losses. I don't know him so I'm not going to attack him personally but he is a CCM whorshiper which is fine we all have our favorites. Truth of the matter is things would probably be much much worse with CCM, had he came back for this season and we would have been looking for a new coach next April anyways.

Can you pinpoint the reason for this obsession...after all Martin is no longer coach here.

Can you pinpoint the reason for this obsession...after all Martin is no longer coach here.

I remember his passion defending Zo last year and the only thing I can figure is it feels like a personal loss for him...he blames fans that didn't share his admiration for not creating a supportive environment that CCM would have wanted to return to...I'm not speaking for others, but my only wish was for Zo's teams to show that they were being coached up and show some results. Which they did. If he had sacked up and returned, it could have been the start of something better. He didn't, so we're left with fans that want the new coach to succeed and the ones that want a measure of revenge for the other coach leaving...maybe when they feel sated, they'll join in? :dunno:

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back