Vols use of the three point line

Saw this on Facebook.. Its a good read for sure. Baulkman/Reese are leading us statistically in 3 pt percentage. Josh is still a consisent 30-35% 3pt shooter. Lastly, Hubbs and Punter need more confidence in their shot and if they do, we'll be hard to guard.

Reactions: 1 person
A great article on the defense and how the team views the opponents three point shot
Tennessee Volunteers Football, Basketball, and Recruiting Front Page
LOL, I've been trying to tell these God Almighty they are killing us from 3 folks that is how our defense works but once again I know nothing as usual. Well, now you hear it straight from the horse's mouth and the basketball experts are wrong again. By the way, we're now 5th in the conference ourselves for those that were screaming we
don 't have any 3 point shooters.

Reactions: 2 people
LOL, I've been trying to tell these God Almighty they are killing us from 3 folks that is how our defense works but once again I know nothing as usual. Well, now you hear it straight from the horse's mouth and the basketball experts are wrong again. By the way, we're now 5th in the conference ourselves for those that were screaming we

You don't need to make every thread about you.

Reactions: 10 people

Just out of curiosity, why else would anyone run a zone like this? The whole point is to take lower percentage shots by launching far away. Clearlyb half displaying this is gonna cause teams to do that. The real issue is Tennessee doesn't have the personel to run this type of defense and be effective against average shooting teams. If we play a guard oriented team, do you think they'll turn thr ball over that much? Highly doubtful.

If this is CDTs bread and butter, we need long, faster guards to close those gaps and slide over to make the zone more effective. We don't recover fast enough if the trap doesn't work and aren't fast enough to make up the distance when the opposition creates space. I don't expect anything different and it looks decent for what CDT has to work with.

Just out of curiosity, why else would anyone run a zone like this? The whole point is to take lower percentage shots by launching far away. Clearlyb half displaying this is gonna cause teams to do that. The real issue is Tennessee doesn't have the personel to run this type of defense and be effective against average shooting teams. If we play a guard oriented team, do you think they'll turn thr ball over that much? Highly doubtful.

If this is CDTs bread and butter, we need long, faster guards to close those gaps and slide over to make the zone more effective. We don't recover fast enough if the trap doesn't work and aren't fast enough to make up the distance when the opposition creates space. I don't expect anything different and it looks decent for what CDT has to work with.

From the article it sounds like he's making due with what he has personnel-wise. With his undersized, inexperienced post players he's trying to protect them some and in turn giving up more three balls. Doesn't mean that's what he'll do every season.

From the article it sounds like he's making due with what he has personnel-wise. With his undersized, inexperienced post players he's trying to protect them some and in turn giving up more three balls. Doesn't mean that's what he'll do every season.

Wasn't saying that and it looks nice with what he's got. It would just be so much nicer with longer faster guards. Love this defense. Its nearly impossible to duplicate for teams preparing for it.

Wasn't saying that and it looks nice with what he's got. It would just be so much nicer with longer faster guards. Love this defense. Its nearly impossible to duplicate for teams preparing for it.

I gotcha. Agreed, get some personnel that's longer and quicker at closing out, and we'll be tough to score against.

Wait, it's horrible, yet if you force the other team to shoot >40% of their shots from beyond the arc, you win 82% of the time! Those damn stats again!

This philosophy works against teams with no interior offense, but is only out of necessity until we can recruit and develop some post players of our own.

I looked back through tyndalls USM teams and last couple MSU teams, none of them gave up the 3 ball at a percentage like this Tennessee team does. If you're forcing teams to shoot 40%+ of their shots from 3 and they're only hitting 32-34%, that's a great strategy. If you do that same thing and teams are shooting 38-40% from 3 against you, some adjustments obviously need to be made.

Let me be clear I'm not saying the defense doesn't work, absolutely it does and its a huge weapon, but much like Boeheim's patented defense, it does require some tweaks year to year and even game to game sometimes. I think the fact we don't have developed rim protectors is something Tyndall is having to compensate for, and the fact that Punter is still learning the defense, isn't known as a defender, as are the all the other guys...so a lot of the traps and rotations result in open 3's when if ran properly they may not.

I think with the development of Carmichael, McGhee and Owens inside you'll see the defense extend a little further out next year, this year we largely will just have to take our chances with opponents getting quality looks from deep.

I looked back through tyndalls USM teams and last couple MSU teams, none of them gave up the 3 ball at a percentage like this Tennessee team does. If you're forcing teams to shoot 40%+ of their shots from 3 and they're only hitting 32-34%, that's a great strategy. If you do that same thing and teams are shooting 38-40% from 3 against you, some adjustments obviously need to be made. Let me be clear I'm not saying the defense doesn't work, absolutely it does and its a huge weapon, but much like Boeheim's patented defense, it does require some tweaks year to year and even game to game sometimes. I think the fact we don't have developed rim protectors is something Tyndall is having to compensate for, and the fact that Punter is still learning the defense, isn't known as a defender, as are the all the other guys...so a lot of the traps and rotations result in open 3's when if ran properly they may not. I think with the development of Carmichael, McGhee and Owens inside you'll see the defense extend a little further out next year, this year we largely will just have to take our chances with opponents getting quality looks from deep.
Nice commentary. All I can say is , "Watch out for the Bucs!", for reasons in another thread! This will be an extremely tough game. It would have been much tougher if ETSU had not lost their big inside presence for the year!

Nice commentary. All I can say is , "Watch out for the Bucs!", for reasons in another thread! This will be an extremely tough game. It would have been much tougher if ETSU had not lost their big inside presence for the year!

This is still a game Tennessee and Tyndall can not afford to lose, especially being at home.

Longer and faster than Richardson and Punter? I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Reactions: 2 people
This is still a game Tennessee and Tyndall can not afford to lose, especially being at home.
Check my stats, but this is a team(ETSU) that already takes 48% of their shots from beyond the arc.
With 4 or 5 guys that can light it up from deep, our defensive strategy should play right into their scheme.
This will be a very tough game for us.

Check my stats, but this is a team(ETSU) that already takes 48% of their shots from beyond the arc.
With 4 or 5 guys that can light it up from deep, our defensive strategy should play right into their scheme.
This will be a very tough game for us.

If you and I can see the problem I'm hoping Tyndall isn't too stubborn to sit there with 4 days to game plan and rolls out something that falls right into their hands. Like I said in another thread, Borheim plays a 2-3, but he tweaks it and makes adjustments, if we have issues giving up the 3 and that's the only way ETSU can beat us than adjustments need to be made.

This is not a game that acceptable to lose, plain and simple.

If you and I can see the problem I'm hoping Tyndall isn't too stubborn to sit there with 4 days to game plan and rolls out something that falls right into their hands. Like I said in another thread, Borheim plays a 2-3, but he tweaks it and makes adjustments, if we have issues giving up the 3 and that's the only way ETSU can beat us than adjustments need to be made.

This is not a game that acceptable to lose, plain and simple.
Pretty sure Donnie knows and as SD has said we can match up with them inside.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Wille and Tariq on the floor at the same time and a lot of Baulkman and Hubbs on extended defense in place of Punter.
With Armani at the 3 and Josh at PG we have a significant height advantage in the back court. Contest those 3s.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Donnie knows and as SD has said we can match up with them inside.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Wille and Tariq on the floor at the same time and a lot of Baulkman and Hubbs on extended defense in place of Punter.
With Armani at the 3 and Josh at PG we have a significant height advantage in the back court. Contest those 3s.

I hope to see that, shut them down from 3 and it should be a easy W

VN Store

Back