The Mercer Postgame Report

cncchris33

For my friend, Kentucky Sucks, Tennessee wins 64-54. Another game where I'd have liked to see us close out an inferior opponent, but you take the win. We were up 15 with under 2 minutes to play.

The Good...
1. Obviously, Devon Baulkman. 22 pts, 6 rebs, 2 stls, 1 blk, and only 1 TO. Like I have been saying in recent reports, he plays better, and I like him more and more each time I see him. This was a culmination of the glimpses we have seen leading up, and a testament to his reputation as a high-level scorer. Sure, it was Mercer, but 7-9 (4-6 from 3) is efficient regardless of opponent.

2. 9 total steals in this game from 5 different players. All from the guards too sans Armani (technically), so the press and backcourt defense appear to be active.

3. JRich with a nice "point guard" performance. 11 pts, 6 assts, 3 stls, and 3 TOs. He focused less on scoring and more on setting up the hot hand in this game.

4. We started out aggressive and took the reins from the outset for once. We didn't allow ourselves to get down in the 1st half, forcing a needed 2nd half comeback. We shot 57.9% in the 1st half and held Mercer to 18.2%.

5. Robert Hubbs is getting there. This was the most engaged and active I can remember him being this year. 9 pts and a couple rebounds and steals on 3-6 shooting. I'd almost like to see CDT force RH3 to attempt 12 shots against Tennessee St. just to see what is reaction would be to being forced to engage himself. I want him to be more selfish and build some confidence.

The Bad...
1. A single player (another guard) once again has a field day against us from outside. Granted, Nwamu is a fine player, but he hung 30 on us. The book is out on our defensive weakness.

2. Armani Moore finally reeled in the shot attempts, but still committed 6 TOs. As a team, we committed 16, which is well above our average.

3. We are still fouling a lot, and even the close ones that are probably no-calls vs other teams are going against us because of our reputation for fouling. That was evident on some really questionable calls last night, but we aren't going to get the benefit of doubt with our reputation.

4. Mostella made no impact, and maybe that was partly to do with Baulkman. His defense is improving and his offense is hit or miss. He needs more consistency, but his talent is undeniable.

Overall...
A good game overall. Better 1st half than 2nd half obviously, and you would like to put away an opponent who shoots 18% for a half, but I am seeing strides by several players in small doses. Hopefully we get them all firing in time for conference play. The top 2 spots in the SEC are likely locked down, but the rest is wide open for the taking if we can adjust to playing shorthanded in the post and knock down some shots while playing better perimeter defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
For my friend, Kentucky Sucks, Tennessee wins 64-54. Another game where I'd have liked to see us close out an inferior opponent, but you take the win. We were up 15 with under 2 minutes to play.

The Good...
1. Obviously, Devon Baulkman. 22 pts, 6 rebs, 2 stls, 1 blk, and only 1 TO. Like I have been saying in recent reports, he plays better, and I like him more and more each time I see him. This was a culmination of the glimpses we have seen leading up, and a testament to his reputation as a high-level scorer. Sure, it was Mercer, but 7-9 (4-6 from 3) is efficient regardless of opponent.

2. 9 total steals in this game from 5 different players. All from the guards too sans Armani (technically), so the press and backcourt defense appear to be active.

3. JRich with a nice "point guard" performance. 11 pts, 6 assts, 3 stls, and 3 TOs. He focused less on scoring and more on setting up the hot hand in this game.

4. We started out aggressive and took the reins from the outset for once. We didn't allow ourselves to get down in the 1st half, forcing a needed 2nd half comeback. We shot 57.9% in the 1st half and held Mercer to 18.2%.

5. Robert Hubbs is getting there. This was the most engaged and active I can remember him being this year. 9 pts and a couple rebounds and steals on 3-6 shooting. I'd almost like to see CDT force RH3 to attempt 12 shots against Tennessee St. just to see what is reaction would be to being forced to engage himself. I want him to be more selfish and build some confidence.

The Bad...
1. A single player (another guard) once again has a field day against us from outside. Granted, Nwamu is a fine player, but he hung 30 on us. The book is out on our defensive weakness.

2. Armani Moore finally reeled in the shot attempts, but still committed 6 TOs. As a team, we committed 16, which is well above our average.

3. We are still fouling a lot, and even the close ones that are probably no-calls vs other teams are going against us because of our reputation for fouling. That was evident on some really questionable calls last night, but we aren't going to get the benefit of doubt with our reputation.

4. Mostella made no impact, and maybe that was partly to do with Baulkman, but I have high hopes for Baulkman too. His defense is improving and his offense is hit or miss. He needs more consistency, but his talent is undeniable.

Overall...
A good game overall. Better 1st half than 2nd half obviously, and you would like to put away an opponent who shoots 18% for a half, but I am seeing strides by several players in small doses. Hopefully we get them all firing in time for conference play. The top 2 spots in the SEC are likely locked down, but the rest is wide open for the taking if we can adjust to playing shorthanded in the post and knock down some shots while playing better perimeter defense.

Man chris you're slacking haha jk it's forgiven though great job

Last edited:
Not sure why, but I really enjoy watching these guys play. Maybe it reminds me of the Lofton, Smith teams.

Reactions: 1 person
LOVE watching these guys play. Had to go to high school games last night so set the DVR. I was going to watch first half last night before going to bed - could not stop watching (yawn) until completely over. Would not have happened last year.

Coach T worth fighting for - ready for all this NCAA crap to be over. I can just imagine by watching him coach this piece mill team up to playing like they are, what we could possibly look like in a couple years with his recruits. Love the energy and think we are going to surprise some people before this year is over.

4. Mostella made no impact, and maybe that was partly to do with Baulkman, but I have high hopes for Baulkman too. His defense is improving and his offense is hit or miss. He needs more consistency, but his talent is undeniable.

Tennessee State seems like the perfect game for this experiment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but hasn't Baulkman gone 4-5, 4-5, 4-6 from long the last three games? I'll grant you the rest of the year, thus far, wasn't as good, but he may just be coming out of his shell. I want the other team to look at JRich and Devon and say, 'hmm, who do I want to try to shut down from 3?'

Edit: I looked it up, Baulkman hasn't done near that well in the last three games. I just thought I heard one of the announcers say that. :mega_shok:

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying following this team. Agreed on Baulkman. He caught my eye early on this year and it's nice to see him put a big game like this together.

I'm not sure what the problem is with Hubbs. I think Tyndall knows if the light comes on for him, our whole season could change. He hasn't made as big of an impact as some other guys at his position, but you can see the talent is there. He reminds me so much of Scotty Hopson his first couple years it's unreal.

I think we have a chance to really give some teams in the conference some problems. We're going to be a handful and I don't see us backing down from anybody. Really starting to believe in Tyndall more and more every game. You just get this feeling watching the games that we're going to fight. I feel like we have a coaching advantage for once.

Reactions: 2 people
Random little detail that I noticed from the game last night: Carmichael has a nice stroke from the foul line. In the next few years, I'd expect him to turn that jumpshot into a weapon for us. We have an athletic group of guards, and anything that creates more space for them to drive will help our halfcourt offense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but hasn't Baulkman gone 4-5, 4-5, 4-6 from long the last three games? I'll grant you the rest of the year, thus far, wasn't as good, but he may just be coming out of his shell.

That was poorly worded on my part. The 'He' in that sentence referred to Mostella.

I'm sorry, but consistently getting phantom fouls called against us "based on reputation" is not an acceptable excuse for the refs, especially at home. They also aren't calling clear fouls on the other teams. Someone in our AD needs to communicate this with the NCAA. While I agree that in our first few games we had consistently bad fouling, but we have improved in that department, yet haven't seen any results because of the horribly one-sided officiating.

That was poorly worded on my part. The 'He' in that sentence referred to Mostella.

Well, I pulled up the stats from last three games and it doesn't look like Devon did as well as I thought, anyway. I just could've sworn that's what one of the announcers said.

The Good...

The Bad...

4. Mostella made no impact, and maybe that was partly to do with Baulkman. His defense is improving and his offense is hit or miss. He needs more consistency, but his talent is undeniable.

Overall...

Thanks coach! :yes:

GO VOLS!

Speaking of the announcers, I thought Bradshaw did a great job. I hope the SEC Network puts him on all of our games that they cover.

I thought Carmichael looked very good down low in the few attempts I noticed. He has a real nice touch on the ball. I wonder why it's not fed to him more often?

I'm sorry, but consistently getting phantom fouls called against us "based on reputation" is not an acceptable excuse for the refs, especially at home. They also aren't calling clear fouls on the other teams. Someone in our AD needs to communicate this with the NCAA. While I agree that in our first few games we had consistently bad fouling, but we have improved in that department, yet haven't seen any results because of the horribly one-sided officiating.

Tyndall needs to stick up for his players and get a T

Reactions: 3 people

Tennessee is #338 (of 345) in fouls committed with 22.9 per game. How much improvement has there really been in that category to still be eighth-to-last in the entire nation? We committed 23 last night, right on our average. To Tennessee's credit, I did notice several fouls called as a result of hustle last night as opposed to laziness and lack of discipline but I also saw several lazy over the back fouls and reach-ins.

As for the calls themselves, officials are human, and you can't remove the human element out of officiating. During the pregame discussion, I'm sure one of their topics is Tennessee's propensity for fouling, fair or not. Your team reputation, like in life, isn't changed over night.

I thought Carmichael looked very good down low in the few attempts I noticed. He has a real nice touch on the ball. I wonder why it's not fed to him more often?

His low post moves seem to improve every game. He had a really nice up and under move in the first half. Missed the layup, but the move was nice. lol

Tennessee is #338 (of 345) in fouls committed with 22.9 per game. How much improvement has there really been in that category to still be eighth-to-last in the entire nation? We committed 23 last night, right on our average. To Tennessee's credit, I did notice several fouls called as a result of hustle last night as opposed to laziness and lack of discipline but I also saw several lazy over the back fouls and reach-ins.

As for the calls themselves, officials are human, and you can't remove the human element out of officiating. During the pregame discussion, I'm sure one of their topics is Tennessee's propensity for fouling, fair or not. Your team reputation, like in life, isn't changed over night.

Weren't we averaging something like 27 per game over the first 5 games? I'm just commenting on the improvement I've personally noticed while watching the games. The human element should show up both ways, and I'm just not seeing it. I could be wrong, though. There were 3 in a row last night in the 2nd half that should have gone the other way. Also, I'm not asking for overnight changes, but that it should be addressed. I'm also just sick of seeing the same excuse of "calling fouls based on reputation." This isn't something that has only been mentioned about the Mercer game, and IMO the statistics are being skewed by the phantom calls.

Last edited:
We sat behind CDT at the Butler game and I thought the gray-haired ref was going to T him up more than once.

Don't worry. Soon..

He's not quiet with the refs...if he can cuss em WITHOUT a T?...that's better IMO.

But it doesn't appear to be working, Hoffman got a T and the whistle turned in his favor, gotta have your players back. If Tyndall wanted to get a T he could, time to show he's got his players back imo

VN Store

Back