The Official Tennessee vs. Mercer Game Thread, 7:00pm ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Tennessee Volunteers: 5-4 (0-0 SEC)

635546256998270273-USATSI-8279448.jpg

vs.

Mercer Bears: 6-5 (1-0 Southern)

1eLNWI.AuSt.71.jpeg

7:00 PM ET, December 22, 2014
Thompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville, Tennessee

Line: UT -12.5
O/U: -

TV: SEC Network
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: N/A
Online: WatchESPN

12.5 seems like a loooooot. I'd just be happy with a w. This is an experienced Mercer squad, I'm sure their gonna try to get the taste of last yr out of their mouth.

Reactions: 1 person
12.5 seems like a loooooot. I'd just be happy with a w. This is an experienced Mercer squad, I'm sure their gonna try to get the taste of last yr out of their mouth.

Lefteye I believe Mercer is only a shell of itself from the last 2 years. I believe they lost their Top 8 players and all of their starters are brand new. They are in a rebuilding year much like UT.

Lefteye I believe Mercer is only a shell of itself from the last 2 years. I believe they lost their Top 8 players and all of their starters are brand new. They are in a rebuilding year much like UT.

Oh gotcha, thanks. This morning on my way to work I heard doc and Jeff say they had 3 seniors and 2 juniors starting.

And I know better thank to listen and especially repeat anything I hear on that show. Lol

Oh gotcha, thanks. This morning on my way to work I heard doc and Jeff say they had 3 seniors and 2 juniors starting.

And I know better thank to listen and especially repeat anything I hear on that show. Lol

Didn't know they talked about men's basketball? I thought all they talked about was the Lady Vols, and Doc's golf swing. Lol.

Didn't know they talked about men's basketball? I thought all they talked about was the Lady Vols, and Doc's golf swing. Lol.

True. Funny enough their talk about the men was carryover from a lady Vol discussion.

I think it's 4 juniors and 1 senior, but that part is true, those guys just didn't play much at all last year.

Couple things stand out that are a bit worrisome about this matchup:

- they're a very good 3 point shooting TEAM, not just 1 or 2 guys, their starting 5 shoots 25%, 33%, 33%, 38% and 42% from deep, their big man who's 6'10" 220lbs is a 33% perimeter shooter.

- they don't turn the ball over much, averaging 11topg and 12apg, a better than 1:1 a:to indicates they're a well coached team (most know this about Hoffman) and that they don't get flustered.

- they're a good free throw shooting team, averaging better than 70% from the free throw line. So if we have one of our foul prone games and put them in the bonus, they've got the guts to make us pay from the line.

They're also a methodical team, they're not gonna let us get them into a shoot out much the way TTU kept things slowed down against us. They really rely on their starting 5 as all 5 starters average over 28mpg, so our press could definitely take its toll in the 2nd half like it has done many times.

I think this game is close at the half, quite possibly even with Mercer leading, but that tired legs set in during the 2nd half and Tennessee ends up winning 65-58.

Reactions: 2 people
Couple things stand out that are a bit worrisome about this matchup:

- they're a very good 3 point shooting TEAM, not just 1 or 2 guys, their starting 5 shoots 25%, 33%, 33%, 38% and 42% from deep, their big man who's 6'10" 220lbs is a 33% perimeter shooter.

- they don't turn the ball over much, averaging 11topg and 12apg, a better than 1:1 a:to indicates they're a well coached team (most know this about Hoffman) and that they don't get flustered.

- they're a good free throw shooting team, averaging better than 70% from the free throw line. So if we have one of our foul prone games and put them in the bonus, they've got the guts to make us pay from the line.

They're also a methodical team, they're not gonna let us get them into a shoot out much the way TTU kept things slowed down against us. They really rely on their starting 5 as all 5 starters average over 28mpg, so our press could definitely take its toll in the 2nd half like it has done many times.

I think this game is close at the half, quite possibly even with Mercer leading, but that tired legs set in during the 2nd half and Tennessee ends up winning 65-58.

It will be a close game for sure. We will need to speed up the pace of the game to win. Make it into a track meet. Butler was very methodical as well but idk if they had 5 good 3 point shooters or not. Hope we get the W!

Hopefully we can actually come out and play two complete halves for once. Punter has stepped up his game here lately and been giving us some solid production, we need that to continue. We all know Josh will do his thing. I'm hoping for a 25+ scoring performance by him tonight. It would be nice for Hubbs to come out of his shell tonight too.

VN Store

Back