Good piece on Tyndall

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Good read from Mike Strange

N.C. State coach Mark Gottfried was effusive in praising Tyndall’s work at UT, first assembling a roster and then coaching it up. I doubt Gottfried is out on a limb here among the coaching fraternity.

It would be too bad for all parties if Tyndall doesn’t get the time to build on the foundation he is laying.

The NCAA investigation into alleged misdeeds during his two years at Southern Mississippi hangs over the UT program. Don’t expect a quick resolution.

If Tyndall’s adherence to the rule book is open to question, his coaching acumen stands for itself.
To be clear, I’m not predicting 15-3, nor anything like it. But I’m not buying any 13th-place finish prediction either.

As long as Tyndall keeps these guys playing this hard, they’ll take a few wins away from somebody.
Mike Strange: Donnie Tyndall will get the most out of Vols - GoVolsXtra Story

Reactions: 4 people
Good read! I'm glad to see more Vol fans supporting Coach DT! It makes his job a lot easier, I suppose! #GOVOLS

Seems like all the sportswriters have now jumped on Donnie's bandwagon. I guess this segment from Chris Dortch says it all, "Passing through the crowd at Thompson-Boling Arena on my way to the media workroom after Tennessee’s come-from-behind victory over then-No. 15 Butler on Sunday, I’m sure I heard this comment at least 20 times:
“The guy can really coach.”
In the media room, the refrain was the same among the gathered scribes and broadcasters."

From Bleacher Report: "Even though they weren't on scholarship, the player(s) in question enrolled in classes at Southern Miss, lived in off-campus apartments and spent a year earning enough academic credits to make them eligible the following season, when they were placed on scholarship."
Is it me or is there anything wrong with above?

From Bleacher Report: "Even though they weren't on scholarship, the player(s) in question enrolled in classes at Southern Miss, lived in off-campus apartments and spent a year earning enough academic credits to make them eligible the following season, when they were placed on scholarship."
Is it me or is there anything wrong with above?

What is in question is "by living at a local housing they where able to get local cost of education" I cant see this ever becoming an issue as long as CDT didn't pay for the player rooms...But give me a break...day and night difference between NC and this issue....they probably will only get a hand slap...

I wonder if NCAA realizes there are grads from NC that are really not grads...

Reactions: 1 person
Yes I hope Tyndall is as slippery as Calipari. I want an "ethical" program but the guy can coach basketball. This is pretty obvious and a good replacement of Pearl. Hart just keeps stumbling into these hires- first Jones, now Tyndall. I might have to change my avatar. I want to wait and see what the NCAA does first.

Reactions: 1 person
...they probably will only get a hand slap...

I doubt it. Two staff members have already been fired (if you buy the narrative on these firings, then you need help) on the basis of the initial investigation and whatever was disclosed by the NCAA to Hart.

Look I don't want to make this about Pearl or Martin. But one thing I get excited about is the way you see CDT jumping up and down. Pointing and directing. Maybe he gets over excited with his word choices. But I'm ready to over look that. He is freaking wild on the sideline. How many warnings did Martin get last year. 0 that I remember. Against Butler there must have been 3 or 4 for Coach T. Get on board and support this guy. We can't lose another good coach.

Reactions: 4 people
Look I don't want to make this about Pearl or Martin. But one thing I get excited about is the way you see CDT jumping up and down. Pointing and directing. Maybe he gets over excited with his word choices. But I'm ready to over look that. He is freaking wild on the sideline. How many warnings did Martin get last year. 0 that I remember. Against Butler there must have been 3 or 4 for Coach T. Get on board and support this guy. We can't lose another good coach.

Agree. It's nice to see a coach who at least acts like he gives a damn.

Here's another great piece from the news called "keeping the faith "

Donnie Tyndall: Keeping the Faith, Past to Present

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- He's only been here for a few games, but Donnie Tyndall has shown Vol fans that he can coach.

But to Tyndall, success is not just wins on the basketball court.

I caught up with Donnie about his life many of you have never seen or heard -- the positive things he was taught as a boy that are now transforming his players and coaches into responsible men. It's part of what “keeping the faith” means for him.

“I think a lot of times people only get to know me from what they see on TV or what they see on the basketball court,” says Donnie Tyndall.

“But I think when people get to know me away from the basketball floor, away from my profession – they would find a very laid-back guy that enjoys spending time laughing and cutting up with people.”

At home, it all begins in the kitchen, where UT players and coaches often stop by. They’re family to the Tyndalls.

And the kitchen has always held a special significance in Donnie Tyndall’s life: It’s where his mom taught him life lessons.

“She would come home from a full day of teaching, cook dinner and get everything ready for my sister and I, and she would be on the road an hour each way.”

Tyndall’s mom, Judy Lightfoot, and his stepdad say Donnie was tough to raise -- not because he was trouble, but because he was a perfectionist.

“The first word he ever said was ball,” his mother recalls. “Not mamma. Ball.”

Tyndall wanted to play division one basketball and lack of size wasn’t about to get in his way. He made it to Morehead State, and to Athletes in Action, a group dedicated to using sports as a platform to help people discover God’s purpose for their lives.

It’s a philosophy his mother says she sees reflected in his daily life.

“He will say God has a plan for me; I don’t know for sure where I’m going, but whatever that plan is, I’ll go.”

I notice tears in her eyes as she tells me this and ask about them.

“Why does that make you tear up?” I ask.

“Just my pride for him,” Lightfoot says.

“I don’t try to overstep my bounds, if you will,” says Tyndall, “But if you pray and ask God for help, to me it’s been more important to ask to serve God’s will. And there's many times when things aren't going well and the first thing you want to do when you're leaning on your relationship with the Lord is to ask for help."

Those life lessons made their way to Donnie's players and coaches, too – that’s part two of “Donnie Tyndall: Keeping the Faith.”

VN Store

Back