Jabari McGhee's Injury Update

AuntieDee

First let me say thank you to Volnation for all of Jabari's well wishes and support. We have just gotten word from UT's doctors. He does have a fifth metatarsal fracture.

Jabari is unsure how this all happened. But this type of fracture is usually the result of an injury in which the ankle rolls.

The doctors have concluded that the quickest and safest way to recovery is to repair the bone through surgery. Therefore, Jabari will undergo outpatient surgery tomorrow and they will place a small pin in his foot.

He will require some therapy and is expected to be off the court for the next 6-8 weeks. All decisions concerning his future after this period will be made at a later date. When I know something other than what I am telling you here I promise you guys will hear it first.

Jabari is upbeat and in good spirits. He said to thank you for support and that he will still be on the sideline cheering...Go Vols!

Reactions: 32 people
Thanks for the update. Best of luck to Jabari for a very speedy recovery. Tell him to hit the books and we will be looking for him back on the court.

Reactions: 3 people
Hoping for a complete and speedy recovery. I love the guy he has more hustle than any player I have seen. I hope to see him back on the court hopefully this season but certainly next year.

First let me say thank you to Volnation for all of Jabari's well wishes and support. We have just gotten word from UT's doctors. He does have a fifth metatarsal fracture.

Jabari is unsure how this all happened. But this type of fracture is usually the result of an injury in which the ankle rolls.

The doctors have concluded that the quickest and safest way to recovery is to repair the bone through surgery. Therefore, Jabari will undergo outpatient surgery tomorrow and they will place a small pin in his foot.

He will require some therapy and is expected to be off the court for the next 6-8 weeks. All decisions concerning his future after this period will be made at a later date. When I know something other than what I am telling you here I promise you guys will hear it first.

Jabari is upbeat and in good spirits. He said to thank you for support and that he will still be on the sideline cheering...Go Vols!

Here's hopes for a speedy recovery, it takes a strong individual to not break down after a event like this. #21 FTW

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for the speedy update. Doesn't sound like a terrible injury, but they can be nagging. Biggest hurdle is mental though, and from what I've heard Jabari sounds like a motivated individual. Hope he recovers, and remind him to take it easy. Don't wanna aggravate it anymore, I learned the hard way.

Auntie Dee,
I had similar fracture in August when I rolled my ankle. Since I am not an athlete, doctor put me in walking boot for 8 weeks. I still have soreness after four months. He should heal much quicker. He is a lot younger and he has the very best doctors at UT. I am praying for a speedy recovery.

I think of Jabari like I did a few yrs back when McRae was a freshman. He has All-SEC written all over him. Hope the injury doesn't set him back too much - what potential!! Best of luck to him.

Deff going to be a big loss, since we are already very thin and inexperienced in the post! Willie seems to be a walking foul machine and Owens just doesn't have the body to be a big presence in sec play then Reese doesn't know what the post is. But if he can hit the 3 ball consistently then that will help draw his man our which cold open up the middle more. Hopefully they just medical redshirt McGhee, as he will be very valuable here the next 4 years!
Hope he has a speedy recovery tho!

Damn. I feel like he was just starting to get comfortable competing on the college level.. Best wishes to Jabari!

Hate to hear this news... prayers sent for a successful surgery and quick recovery. Going to miss watching Jabari play.

He should take a medical redshirt. A fifth year would be far more valuable than returning after nearly two months for a handful of games.

No doubt they'll get his foot repaired. I hope JMac II stays focused and turns the set back into a positive in the long run.

Ts and Ps to Jabari and his Vol family.

First let me say thank you to Volnation for all of Jabari's well wishes and support. We have just gotten word from UT's doctors. He does have a fifth metatarsal fracture. Jabari is unsure how this all happened. But this type of fracture is usually the result of an injury in which the ankle rolls.
AuntiDee, I think it would do Jabari a world of good to have some talks with Brandon. VolNation loves Jabari and we want him to sail through his rehab! Heck, who knows, Brandon might even join him on the team if he ends up red-shirting! I did see a tweet from Brandon that it was hard to learn to run again for him, but his injury was much more serious! Thank God Jabari's was not as serious!

Reactions: 1 person
Hate to hear this as he is such a high energy player and will be missed greatly. Hopefully he gets a redshirt and still has 4 years to play. He's going to be a great one before he leaves Rocky Top!

With the loss of McGhee for a while, maybe CDT might use a 4 guard lineup on occasion depending on the game situation.

Reactions: 1 person
AuntiDee, you and JabbyCus keep his spirits up knowing that all of the Vol nation is wishing him well. I know that he will attack his rehab as hard as he does the boards.

VN Store

Back