Troubling trend...

bleedingTNorange

Tennessee is having a lot of trouble identifying shooters and leaving the wrong guys open way too much, between three pointers and free throws Tennessee is being out scored by an average of 17 points a game (-5 ft line & -12 3pt line). This was mentioned early in the season by me that if Tyndall's goal of his defense is to force teams to shoot 40% of their shots from 3, those were his words, then they have got to be better defensively from behind the arc.

Below is a game by game breakdown of the teams we've played, the top number is their season average and the bottom number was their percentage against us, 6 out of 8 teams shot better than their season average against us.

VCU
avg: 34.8
Tenn: 37.9

TSU:
avg: 26.0
Tenn: 33.3

Santa Clara:
avg: 36.6
Tenn: 37.5

Kansas:
avg: 37.3
Tenn: 42.1

Marquette:
Avg: 35.9
Tenn:42.9

Kansas State:
Avg: 40.5
Tenn: 38.1

Butler:
avg: 35.8
Tenn: 34.5

Nc State:
avg: 36.5
Tenn: 42.3

Also worth pointing out, at least to me, is our inability to identify the hot hand and make the proper adjustments quick enough. We have had multiple guys just go off from 3 against us, Turner last night, Johnson in the VCU game, the guard Wilson iirc against Marquette.

It's something that definitely needs fixed, because right now we are not a good enough team offensively to allow teams to shoot so well from 3, we rank 313/350 in 3pt field goal defense.

Reactions: 4 people
We actually defended the 3 better than NC State did. They hit 11 of 26 for 42.3%. We hit 10 of 18 for 55.6%. We went man with Josh on Turner and he still knocked it down. According to Coach T, 6 of the 8 shots he made were contested. What beat us in this game was the 26 for 34 freethrows compared to our 12 for 16, a 14 point difference that will destroy any game plan. (Home Cooking personified!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
We actually defended the 3 better than NC State did. They hit 11 of 26 for 42.3%. We hit 10 of 18 for 55.6%. We went man with Josh on Turner and he still knocked it down. According to Coach T, 6 of the 8 shots he made were contested. What beat us in this game was the 26 for 34 freethrows compared to our 12 for 16, a 14 point difference that will destroy any game plan. (Home Cooking personified!)

News flash!!!!! We foul, A LOT!

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee is having a lot of trouble identifying shooters and leaving the wrong guys open way too much, between three pointers and free throws Tennessee is being out scored by an average of 17 points a game (-5 ft line & -12 3pt line). This was mentioned early in the season by me that if Tyndall's goal of his defense is to force teams to shoot 40% of their shots from 3, those were his words, then they have got to be better defensively from behind the arc.

Below is a game by game breakdown of the teams we've played, the top number is their season average and the bottom number was their percentage against us, 6 out of 8 teams shot better than their season average against us.

VCU

TSU:

Santa Clara:

Kansas:

Marquette:

Kansas State:

Butler:

Nc State:

Also worth pointing out, at least to me, is our inability to identify the hot hand and make the proper adjustments quick enough. We have had multiple guys just go off from 3 against us, Turner last night, Johnson in the VCU game, the guard Wilson iirc against Marquette.

It's something that definitely needs fixed, because right now we are not a good enough team offensively to allow teams to shoot so well from 3, we rank 313/350 in 3pt field goal defense.

Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: 1 person

If Donnie considers "contested" letting the hot guy catch and shoot the ball cleanly with a defender in the neighborhood getting a hand up as the guy is releasing the ball then I guess he's right.

No we didn't. Turner was wide open early and often. Then he got in a groove and was hitting with guys in his face. You can't let a shooter like that get in a rhythm, or he'll drop 30 on you, which he did.

And I was at the game and I thought it was called pretty evenly. We just foul too much.

Last night NC State was bigger than UT inside and they had a guy who couldnt miss, so to me theres no way Tennessee could have won that game with that recipe. Hey BTO how come you never made these type of threads when CCM was here? Because then I recall you saying everyone was being overcritical of the program but now I see you are here to nit pick everything now that he's gone.

Reactions: 8 people
No we didn't. Turner was wide open early and often. Then he got in a groove and was hitting with guys in his face. You can't let a shooter like that get in a rhythm, or he'll drop 30 on you, which he did. And I was at the game and I thought it was called pretty evenly. We just foul too much.
'Bout the only way to stop that dude was to tackle him before he shot! Can't do that in basketball!

Does going from 19 fouls in our last game to 34 in this one seem a little skewed to you? You did watch the game???

Stats

We foul at the third highest rate in the country. You can blame the refs all you want but we consistently commit bad fouls at a pretty high rate.

Turner and Lacey have killed us pretty much every time we have played them. Lacey was Bama and Turner was TAMU right? That's the same Turner that went into Rupp and dropped like 40 points isn't it? I guess that's what it felt like to other teams when we had Lofton.

StatsWe foul at the third highest rate in the country. You can blame the refs all you want but we consistently commit bad fouls at a pretty high rate.
OK, here's the question everybody keeps avoiding. If you watched the NC State game, did you not see "several" questionable fouls called against us? Simple question, simple answer. Yes or no.

OK, here's the question everybody keeps avoiding. If you watched the NC State game, did you not see "several" questionable fouls called against us? Simple question, simple answer. Yes or no.

I felt that there were 2 or 3, but there are 2 or 3 every game. We foul a lot. In fact, we foul more than every team except 2 in the entire nation. Water is wet. You're making excuses.

'Bout the only way to stop that dude was to tackle him before he shot! Can't do that in basketball!

After he hit his first 4 or so, how about changing the defense and trying to deny him touches? We let a guy who averages 13ppg go for 33 .... a guy that normally hits about 2 3ptrs a game hit 8, because we chose not adjust and I guess just hope he started missing. If we hadn't seen other guys kill us and have career nights from 3 earlier in the season, I'd probably just consider last night an anomaly or fluke. But it wasn't.... it was a continuing trend.

It doesn't matter.....my daughter plays competitively and I teach her that u don't blame the refs.....the weaker minded players worry about the officials.

VCU

TSU:

Santa Clara:

Kansas:

Marquette:

Kansas State:

Butler:

Nc State:

I WANT KONZO.:cray: Bad "trend" here. Bad slant there. Bad coaching everywhere.

I guess we will have to go through your rants and "analysis" all season even if we win.

Yeah, this team fouls way too much. They don't shoot 3s very well. They don't shoot well period. They don't have a big man who controls the glass. They ran into a hot shooter last night and lost. They are a rag tag bunch pulled together at the last minute when Konzo ran out of town. But they do compete. DT does make good adjustments and he can coach. They are maybe a .500 team this year. Konzo is gone. Live with it.

Reactions: 6 people
Turner and Lacey have killed us pretty much every time we have played them. Lacey was Bama and Turner was TAMU right? That's the same Turner that went into Rupp and dropped like 40 points isn't it? I guess that's what it felt like to other teams when we had Lofton.

No, Elston Turner was at TAMU. He finished his eligibility. Ralston Turner, an LSU transfer, was the guy that lit us up last night. Elston had the sweet mid range game that kept his team in the game in our OT win a few years back.

I had no idea Trevor Lacy transferred from Bama. I think I thought he was Trevor Releford when we played them last year. But now I remember how much that guy has been a thorn in our side. If he was a few inches taller he'd make a good pro. He can finish around the rim, defend, and I doubt the ball has ever even grazed the rim when he shoots a J. Makes me sick.

Turner was at LSU. And Lacey was ok at Bama, but I wouldn't say he ever "killed" us.

VCU

TSU:

Santa Clara:

Kansas:

Marquette:

Kansas State:

Butler:

Nc State:

To add to those numbers, TSU, Kansas, Marquette, and NCSU didn't just shoot better against us, they shot SIGNIFICANTLY better against us than their season average. An average of 6.25% better.

Turner was at LSU. And Lacey was ok at Bama, but I wouldn't say he ever "killed" us.

Agree on Lacey. He had 15, 11, and 6 in three games against Tennessee in his only season at Bama. Was a combined 11-33 shooting and 5-14 from 3. He was very average against us.

No we didn't. Turner was wide open early and often. Then he got in a groove and was hitting with guys in his face. You can't let a shooter like that get in a rhythm, or he'll drop 30 on you, which he did.

And I was at the game and I thought it was called pretty evenly. We just foul too much.

Bingo

The stats don't tell the whole story on Lacey. He was an and+1 SOB in at least one of those games in 12-13. He's part of the reason we couldn't get over the hump against Anthony Grant his first few seasons at bama.

There are questionable calls every game. Come watch my son's highschool games in Williamson Co. They happen in evey game, oftentimes on both sides of the court. Most of the time, the more aggressive team gets the benefit of the doubt and majority of the calls. The foul disparity last night imo, had to do with just that. UT certainly received some poor calls last night including a few no calls (Richardson's dunk when he was pushed while hanging on the rim for example). However, I don't think refs cost us the game last night. Letting a guy with a hot hand continually get open catches and shots to the tune of 8 three pointers and 33 pts was the more important factor IMHO.

VN Store

Back