The NC State Postgame Report

cncchris33

I wasn't able to watch much of the Butler game because of family obligations. I only caught a couple minutes of the 1st half and the last 4 minutes of the 2nd.

Watching the NCSU game reminded me of just how maddening this bunch will be though. Everything they apparently did right vs Butler, they did wrong vs NCSU. As well-coached as the Butler game was, this game featured little in the way of adjustments. On the court, we are seeing players who are either slow to learn, or hard headed enough to keep making the same mistakes game after game.

The Good...(this won't take long)
1. Welcome back Detrick Mostella. You want to see better shooting numbers from him, but the aggression and killer instinct is very refreshing (ahem...R. Hubbs III). Mostella was active on both ends, and somehow managed to finish tied for 2nd in total rebs. as the smallest guy on the floor for us.

2. Josh Richardson is such a pleasure to watch, and I really feel bad for that kid having to spend his senior season on a rebuilding team. He really deserves better, but his leadership is invaluable and will be sorely missed next year. 17 pts, 3 rebs, 5 assts and 0 TOs.

3. Speaking of TOs, we only had 5, which is really nice to see for a team with no real PG. Some of our shot selection basically equated to additional TOs, but in the traditional sense, we took care of the basketball.

The Bad...
1. This just in; Ralston Turner is still open, and is still hitting shots from 27' out. The constant inability to locate and close out open shooters is troubling. Turner hit 4 open 3s in a span of 3:08 midway through the 1st half. That is inexcusable, but not nearly as inexcusable as the open looks he continued to receive in the 2nd half after that 3-minute barrage. Again, we let one player single-handedly beat us with complete indifference to whether he was defended or not. Turner shot 18 times, and 17 of them were from deep. How do you even allow a guy like that to get off 17 shots?!?!?!?

2. This will again be an unpopular opinion, but Armani Moore has to play better. 6-17 from the field (35%) from your "PF" is really inefficient. In the last two games, he is 8-25 from the field (32%). He contributes in so many other areas that it almost feels unfair to pick on his shooting percentage, but for a team that struggles to score, he simply has to provide more offense if he is going to shoot 17 times.

3. Defensive rebounding is an embarrassment. Not sure how else to say it anymore.

4. We still foul more than any team I can remember, and roughly 70%+ of them are lazy and careless reach-ins or blocks resulting from improper positioning and not moving their feet. 28 fouls led to 34 FT attempts.

5. Speaking of fouls, fair or not, the book is out on Tennessee with officials. We are seen as a team that fouls a lot (understandably so), and it garners us no favor from officials. Some of our players' reactions after even the most obvious fouls borders on hilarious. Derek Reese hip-checked a guy like a dog in heat, knocking him clear out of bounds on the baseline in front of the NCSU bench, and throws his hands up in the air with a look of disgust.

6. Interior defense looked lost at times, especially during the alley-oop fest where we seemed to be confused on how to protect the paint in a zone defense. Reese was responsible on two of those I'm pretty sure, but I could be wrong.

7. Kevin Punter has played well the past two games, but he goes quiet far too often after quick starts. His last two games are probably his best stretch of the season, and I'd like to see him continue to be aggressive offensively for 40 minutes.

8. I'm real close to giving up on Robert Hubbs. Jordan McRae has been the popular example of reasons not to bail on Hubbs just yet, but Hubbs has about one-hundredth of Jordy's passion and offensive aggression. If you don't want it for yourself, few are willing to just give it to you. Hubbs doesn't strike me as someone who wants it. I'd love to be wrong here.

9. The press isn't really working right now, and I'd personally like to see us abandon it if it simply leads to quick open looks in transition. I know it is a staple of Tyndall's philosophy, but we have to execute it better, or it results in easy/open looks for the other team. I only remember forcing 1 TO from it all game, and it was late in the game.

10. Jabari McGhee only played 6 minutes. Why?

Overall...
A really pitiful performance considering that we continue to allow the same mistakes to doom us (defensive rebounding, fouls, and an inability to locate shooters). I had really hoped that this team would rally around the win over Butler and use it as a catalyst. Instead, they reverted to their same bad habits from the first six games, and let a very winnable game slip through their fingers. Still a chance to go 8-4 out of conference, which is probably a net win for this bunch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Here's something to take from the game. Maybe the 3 ball has arrrived. Reese was 2 for 2, 100%; Punter was 2 for3, 67%; Baulkman was 2 for 3, 67%; Mostella was 3-6, 50%; and Moore was 1 for 3, 33%. The team shot 10 for 18, 55.6%. NC State was 11 for 26, 42.3% from beyond the arc with their 13 point average guy hitting 8. We shot 16 (12 for 15, 75%) free throws to their 34 (26 for 34-76.5%). Home cooking personified. How do you beat that? It totally changes the gameplan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Here's something to take from the game. Maybe the 3 ball has arrrived. Reese was 2 for 2, 100%; Punter was 2 for3, 67%; Baulkman was 2 for 3, 67%; Mostella was 3-6, 50%; and Moore was 1 for 3, 33%. The team shot 10 for 18, 55.6%.

3-point shooting definitely kept the game respectable. We shot 55.6% from 3, but only 35.7% from 2. We should win games where we shoot 55%+ from 3 on 18 attempts, but our inability to score in the paint and FT differential was costly.

We shot 16 free throws to their 34. Home cooking personified. How do you beat that? It totally changes the gameplan.

Hard to blame officials for foul differential. We don't play good defense because we simply (and blatantly) foul too much. Not many are debatable either. The few that are generally aren't going to go in the favor of a team with a reputation for fouling, like Tennessee. If we would be more disciplined in our on-ball defense, we'd see fewer fouls go against us.

Reactions: 4 people
Hard to blame officials for foul differential. We don't play good defense because we simply (and blatantly) foul too much. Not many are debatable either. The few that are generally aren't going to go in the favor of a team with a reputation for fouling, like Tennessee. If we would be more disciplined in our on-ball defense, we'd see fewer fouls go against us.
I thought there were quite a few debatable calls in that game. Maybe that's why NC State has played 11 of their first 12 games at home. Quite a scheduling coup and a good jump on the NCAA tourament. Screw those pre-season tournaments. College basketball is a big money sport and don't be naive enough to not think there is a little officiating hanky panky. We played an outstanding game. We even went man-to-man with Josh on Turner. He still knocked em down.

Last edited:
If our formulas for winning are limited to forcing turnovers and hoping for missed 3s, we'll struggle in all games that are not in TBA.

Not sure how I missed that little nugget in the broadcast. Unless it was mentioned at halftime when I was putting kids in bed.

Great news nonetheless. We have ample depth inside.

It was merely mentioned by the commentator that "McGhee is limping towards the sideline." They never came back and reported that he had sustained an injury.

We are praying nothing too serious. Waiting on UT Physicians to look at him this morning. Possibly a fracture on the side of the foot which would sideline him for about 6 weeks.

It was merely mentioned by the commentator that "McGhee is limping towards the sideline." They never came back and reported that he had sustained an injury. We are praying nothing too serious. Waiting on UT Physicians to look at him this morning. Possibly a fracture on the side of the foot which would sideline him for about 6 weeks.
All of us on VolNation are praying, too, Auntie Dee. You let Jabari know that! He is a key cog in this machine Coach T is building to roll over SEC opponents. We need him for four years for sure! We want an SEC and NCAA championship before he graduates!!

Reactions: 3 people
I thought there were quite a few debatable calls in that game. Maybe that's why NC State has played 11 of their first 12 games at home. Quite a scheduling coup and a good jump on the NCAA tourament. Screw those pre-season tournaments. College basketball is a big money sport and don't be naive enough to not think there is a little officiating hanky panky. We played an outstanding game. We even went man-to-man with Josh on Turner. He still knocked em down.

As much as you are trying, you can't blame our loss on the refs. This team has been a foul machine all year, so it's not like last night was some kind of weird night.

2. This will again be an unpopular opinion, but Armani Moore has to play better. 6-17 from the field (35%) from your "PF" is really inefficient. In the last two games, he is 8-25 from the field (32%). He contributes in so many other areas that it almost feels unfair to pick on his shooting percentage, but for a team that struggles to score, he simply has to provide more offense if he is going to shoot 17 times.

Simply put, Armani had 17 shots and Josh had 13. Armani can't be shooting more times than Josh. Josh needs 20 shots. Armani needs 10.

All of us on VolNation are praying, too, Auntie Dee. You let Jabari know that! He is a key cog in this machine Coach T is building to roll over SEC opponents. We need him for four years for sure! We want an SEC and NCAA championship before he graduates!!

Thanks SD. I surely will let him know.

He says he knows UT will have a NCAA championship before he leaves! That's his goal and he's determined to take us there.

Reactions: 3 people
As much as you are trying, you can't blame our loss on the refs. This team has been a foul machine all year, so it's not like last night was some kind of weird night.

Exactly. We foul more than almost anybody in the nation. At some point you have to realize it's our problem and not the officials

This is too negative of a recap in my opinion. The critique of the defense is spot on, in that they just refused to pay any attention to Turner and he burned us time and time again. And they let him get in a great rhythm and then he couldn't miss. Otherwise though, the Vols shot the ball a lot better from distance, didn't turn the ball over, and fought really hard late into the game. It's pretty impressive they were down 17 at one point I think and then had it within 6 with a minute left. This team really fights.

Richardson is still a stud, Moore plays with great effort but needs to finish around the basket, and I have no idea why Hubbs is even getting any minutes. Give Mostella his minutes and let him get more time to develop. Hubbs is a lost cause. I was at the game and you can almost feel his lack of confidence in the stands. It's just not there.

It was merely mentioned by the commentator that "McGhee is limping towards the sideline." They never came back and reported that he had sustained an injury.

We are praying nothing too serious. Waiting on UT Physicians to look at him this morning. Possibly a fracture on the side of the foot which would sideline him for about 6 weeks.

Foot injuries can be annoying. I broke my foot last year (playing basketball actually) and it was a pain to heal from. Also a bit of time easing all your weight and using it fully. Obviously not sure what Jabari's is like but hopefully it's minor and nothing serious. Hope he heals fast.

This is too negative of a recap in my opinion. The critique of the defense is spot on, in that they just refused to pay any attention to Turner and he burned us time and time again. And they let him get in a great rhythm and then he couldn't miss. Otherwise though, the Vols shot the ball a lot better from distance, didn't turn the ball over, and fought really hard late into the game. It's pretty impressive they were down 17 at one point I think and then had it within 6 with a minute left. This team really fights.

Richardson is still a stud, Moore plays with great effort but needs to finish around the basket, and I have no idea why Hubbs is even getting any minutes. Give Mostella his minutes and let him get more time to develop. Hubbs is a lost cause. I was at the game and you can almost feel his lack of confidence in the stands. It's just not there.

Too negative, yet you listed and agreed with almost every point I made.

I do agree this team has a lot of fight, but with more discipline (especially defensively), the fight would more often be to hold onto 2nd half leads instead of trying to erase double-digit 2nd half deficits.

Foot injuries can be annoying. I broke my foot last year (playing basketball actually) and it was a pain to heal from. Also a bit of time easing all your weight and using it fully. Obviously not sure what Jabari's is like but hopefully it's minor and nothing serious. Hope he heals fast.

Thanks LittleCat. The jury is still out on this one.

Played an outstanding game??? I guess I'm difficult to impress if that was the picture of outstanding. We did shoot the ball well from outside and fought to stay in the game, but that is where outstanding ends for me.

Officiating played a very small role, and perhaps there were some no-calls that went against us on the offensive end (to be expected on the road I guess), but I can't think of too many defensive fouls called on us that seemed to wreak of home-cooking.

Simply put, we foul too much. It isn't the officials fault that we reach in and don't move our feet. We make their jobs easy by being so deliberate in fouling.

Hate that for him. I hope the diagnosis is good. If he is to miss 6 weeks, I almost wonder if taking a medical redshirt isn't in his best interest? Foot injuries are tricky and easily re-aggravated, and 6 weeks knocks him out until near February. I'd hate to waste a year of eligibility with only a 75% healthy Jabari, only to further aggravate the injury to the point of requiring surgery in the offseason that could set him back.

Simply put, Armani had 17 shots and Josh had 13. Armani can't be shooting more times than Josh. Josh needs 20 shots. Armani needs 10.

Right. Armani can't shoot that many times and be that inefficient.

Too negative, yet you listed and agreed with almost every point I made.

I do agree this team has a lot of fight, but with more discipline (especially defensively), the fight would more often be to hold onto 2nd half leads instead of trying to erase double-digit 2nd half deficits.

You said it was a pitiful performance, yet we were in the game late on the road against a likely tournament team. I don't consider that pitiful with this team. They're getting better.

VN Store

Back