Moore - Vol Defense Never Rests!

Good article. They also made it very clear it is in fact a zone.
That's what the reporter calls it for lack of a better term. It is not a 1-3-1. Ever seen a 1-3-1 switch to man when the ball goes to the high post? There is not another defense like it, maybe similar, but not like it. It is the "Tyndall defense". Even Tyndall calls it a match-up zone with man principles. Why do you think most of Vol Nation thinks it is great. They have never seen one work quite so well?

Last edited:
That's what the reporter calls it for lack of a better term. It is not a 1-3-1. Ever seen a 1-3-1 switch to man when the ball goes to the high post? There is not another defense like it, maybe similar, but not like it. It is the "Tyndall defense". Even Tyndall calls it a match-up zone with man principles. Why do you think most of Vol Nation thinks it is great. They have never seen one work quite so well?

I think you're fishing quite a bit with that statement, and speaking for a lot of people. I would say a large majority of this board would say that Pearl's controlled chaos defense was better and more effective at its peak than "the Tyndall defense" we are seeing.

Reactions: 3 people
I think you're fishing quite a bit with that statement, and speaking for a lot of people. I would say a large majority of this board would say that Pearl's controlled chaos defense was better and more effective at its peak than "the Tyndall defense" we are seeing.
Depends on the players! Pearl's were quite different than Tyndall's. And vastly more experienced. Judging by the posts in this forum, don't you think VolNation is quite amazed by our defense. That seems to be the consensus from what I've read. Caveat - "at its peak" for Pearl's. Tyndall's has hardly reached its peak.

Last edited:

Agree completely. Tyndall's Defense isn't that great. Not a fan of a team playing zone and still struggles with rebounding. No matter what kind of principles are added in.

Reactions: 2 people
Depends on the players! Pearl's were quite different than Tyndall's. And vastly more experienced. Judging by the posts in this forum, don't you think VolNation is quite amazed by our defense. That seems to be the consensus from what I've read. Caveat - "at its peak" for Pearl's. Tyndall's has hardly reached its peak.

Start a poll and ask who's defense was better and more fun to watch, I think you'll be surprised at the result :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person

With the trouble we’ve had fouling, the trouble guarding the dribble and people getting inside our zone, we backed it up one big step,” Tyndall explained.

Zone out of Tyndall's own mouth.

This d is not some magical zone no one has ever seen. Its OK. I would prefer man to man with trapping and pressing personally.

With the trouble we’ve had fouling, the trouble guarding the dribble and people getting inside our zone, we backed it up one big step,” Tyndall explained. Zone out of Tyndall's own mouth. This d is not some magical zone no one has ever seen. Its OK. I would prefer man to man with trapping and pressing personally.
Also out of Tyndall's mouth, "Not trying to say I invented the wheel or anything but it is unique. It is different."
"Jay Bilas went on to say that he likes the way Donnie Tyndall's teams play, and he thinks the zone defense the Volunteers will play can give them an advantage against opponents this season. If I were a coaching in college now I would give an awful lot of consideration to playing a zone as a primary defense. When you play man-to-man, unless your personnel is superior, you spend so much time preparing for your opponent that you might not be as proficient in doing what you do."
Kansas State star guard Marcus Foster had this to say about our zone defense. ''I felt their zone was something I'd never seen before,'' Foster said. ''It was a really good zone. It felt like it spaced us out. It felt like I was shooting 30-footers out there. ... It was a very good zone."

Last edited:
Also out of Tyndall's mouth, "Not trying to say I invented the wheel or anything but it is unique. It is different."
"Jay Bilas went on to say that he likes the way Donnie Tyndall's teams play, and he thinks the zone defense the Volunteers will play can give them an advantage against opponents this season. If I were a coaching in college now I would give an awful lot of consideration to playing a zone as a primary defense. When you play man-to-man, unless your personnel is superior, you spend so much time preparing for your opponent that you might not be as proficient in doing what you do."
Kansas State star guard Marcus Foster had this to say about our zone defense. ''I felt their zone was something I'd never seen before,'' Foster said. ''It was a really good zone[/ab]. It felt like it spaced us out. It felt like I was shooting 30-footers out there. ... It was a very good zone."

how many time was the phrase "zone" used, how about "man to man"?

Reactions: 3 people
how many time was the phrase "zone" used, how about "man to man"?
This seems to be once again projecting that I have ever said this is not a zone defense. Have no idea how you followed that logic. What I have said and continue to say is Tyndall's brilliant basketball mind has created a unique and different zone defense by his own personal tweaks that other teams have a big problem with especially if they are playing against it for the first time. It creates problems for teams no matter how much they play against it as does any team that presses the whole game. What is unique is that they fall back into a pressure half court zone also that puts just as much pressure as the full court does. Kansas State committed 22 turnovers of which the Vols scored 21 points. This is a cobbled together at the last minute team competing against a top Big 12 squad. This is a home court advantage good enough that we are favored over the #15 team in the country. What more can we ask? Kansas State star guard Marcus Foster, who scored 20 in an upset win over #7 Kansas last year as a freshman and their leading scorer this year, says it best: ''I felt their zone was something I'd never seen before. It was a really good zone. It felt like it spaced us out. It felt like I was shooting 30-footers out there. ... It was a very good zone."

This seems to be once again projecting that I have ever said this is not a zone defense. Have no idea how you followed that logic. What I have said and continue to say is Tyndall's brilliant basketball mind has created a unique and different zone defense by his own personal tweaks that other teams have a big problem with especially if they are playing against it for the first time. It creates problems for teams no matter how much they play against it as does any team that presses the whole game. What is unique is that they fall back into a pressure half court zone also that puts just as much pressure as the full court does. Kansas State committed 22 turnovers of which the Vols scored 21 points. This is a cobbled together at the last minute team competing against a top Big 12 squad. This is a home court advantage good enough that we are favored over the #15 team in the country. What more can we ask? Kansas State star guard Marcus Foster, who scored 20 in an upset win over #7 Kansas last year as a freshman and their leading scorer this year, says it best: ''I felt their zone was something I'd never seen before. It was a really good zone. It felt like it spaced us out. It felt like I was shooting 30-footers out there. ... It was a very good zone."

Tyndall didn't invent the match up zone.
John Chaney was best known for it, but even he didn't invent it.
The biggest reason you don't see it more is because it is so hard to learn.
That's why the kids keep saying we're starting to understand it.
And you're also seeing one of the by products of not understanding it. The wide open 3.
Can they get better as the season goes on? Hope so.

Tyndall didn't invent the match up zone.
John Chaney was best known for it, but even he didn't invent it.
The biggest reason you don't see it more is because it is so hard to learn.
That's why the kids keep saying we're starting to understand it.
And you're also seeing one of the by products of not understanding it. The wide open 3.
Can they get better as the season goes on? Hope so.
Nobody said he invented the matchup zone.
No other team in college basketball runs it exactly the way Tyndall runs it. Here's how it is described by 247 sports.
"And when they do that, Tyndall said they’ll be in one of the nation’s more unique defenses. The Vols will show plenty of full-court pressure on made baskets and free throws, but Tyndall said they’ll spend much of their half-court time in a modified, 2-3 zone — a system that Tyndall first picked up from legendary Louisville coach Rick Pitino and has tweaked along the way.
"I never want to sound like I’ve invented anything here, but it’s a very unique zone,” Tyndall said.
“The basis of it is Coach Pitino’s zone at Louisville. I had a guy at Morehead State from Louisville on my staff, and it started there. And then we’ve kind of tweaked some things over the years.”
Obviously Tyndall didn’t have much interest in being overly specific, but he unveiled one of the most important tweaks in his zone — it’s not just a zone. Sometimes, depending on the situation, it’s a man-to-man."
“It’s not totally a zone,” Tyndall said. “When the ball goes to the high post, we matchup and go man-to-man for the rest of the possession. It’s very unique. It’s different."
Hope you understand what I am saying now.

VN Store

Back