About Our Zone Defense

SeniorDrill

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Okay dude whats your point? You create new threads all the time with just a quote and not much else. Whats your question or your point?

How do you expect us to respond?

Reactions: 6 people
Well, it eliminates criticism no matter what I post, doesn't it? It's really quite simple. We have a unique defense that opponents have trouble figuring out just like Coach Tyndall says. This is confirmation of that from Kansas State's best player. He got hot and hit four threes in the last 57 seconds. It had nothing to do with them figuring out the defense. This was the first time I have seen an opponent say how good our defense was. That would be interesting to most people who read it, no?

Reactions: 1 person
Well, it eliminates criticism no matter what I post, doesn't it? It's really quite simple. We have a unique defense that opponents have trouble figuring out just like Coach Tyndall says. This is confirmation of that from Kansas State's best player. He got hot and hit four threes in the last 57 seconds. It had nothing to do with them figuring out the defense. This was the first time I have seen an opponent say how good our defense was. That would be interesting to most people who read it, no?

Good point, SD. They scored 17 points in the last 1:35 thanks to 5 three pointers. I don't think they "learned how to attack the zone" in the second half. They just hit some prayers down the stretch and our play in the last minute and a half didn't help us any. The final score really doesn't tell the whole story. Regardless, we won and K State seemed frustrated by our zone. Held them to 17 points in the first half.

Its nice to read a quality player like Foster commenting on how effective our zone can be. Now if we can find an identity on offense we might have something.

Definitely worth a thread...no one questions the whining about coaching versions.

They scored 47 points in the second half so I'm pretty sure they figured it out. Even if you take away the barrage of 3s at the end they still almost doubled their scoring in the second half. At least it limited them enough in the first half for us to snag the victory. Hoping the zone can be just as effective against Butler.

They scored 47 points in the second half so I'm pretty sure they figured it out. Even if you take away the barrage of 3s at the end they still almost doubled their scoring in the second half. At least it limited them enough in the first half for us to snag the victory. Hoping the zone can be just as effective against Butler.
Just a difference of opinion on whether they figured it out or not. 17 of those 47 points were on 5 threes in the last 1:35 as was observed by another.

It does seem to be really effective....Butler scares me bc they seem really efficient......Im curious if the zone will be as effective with teams that we see a second time during this season.

Just a difference of opinion on whether they figured it out or not. 17 of those 47 points were on 5 threes in the last 1:35 as was observed by another.

And that's fine. Even if you take away the 15 points from the 3s they still scored 32 which is about double what they scored in the first half. In my eyes that means they figured something out. Looks like both teams did since we increased our scoring as well.

It does seem to be really effective....Butler scares me bc they seem really efficient......Im curious if the zone will be as effective with teams that we see a second time during this season.

Butler worries me. Gotta find Dunham or it could get ugly. Kid is lights out from 33.

They scored 17 in the last 1:35. Hit 5 3's. They didn't figure it out. Scoring 30 points in almost 19 minutes of a half before going on a miracle run of 3 pointers is not "figuring it out."

Reactions: 3 people
And that's fine. Even if you take away the 15 points from the 3s they still scored 32 which is about double what they scored in the first half. In my eyes that means they figured something out. Looks like both teams did since we increased our scoring as well.

You can't use our first half success against us. That's bull. Before their miraculous 17 point run in the last 1:35, they were held to 47 points in 38:25. That's playing D.

They scored 17 in the last 1:35. Hit 5 3's. They didn't figure it out. Scoring 30 points in almost 19 minutes of a half before going on a miracle run of 3 pointers is not "figuring it out."

Yes, I've been told 3 times they scored 17 in the last 1:35. I'm aware. Marquette scored 32 in 20 minutes against us. People were complaining about the D after the Marquette game. What's the difference in your eyes?

FWIW I think the zone is really effective. I just happen to believe if you've almost doubled your scoring from one half to the next you've figured out some better way to attack it, regardless of what happens in the last 1:35.

Last edited:
You can't use our first half success against us. That's bull. Before their miraculous 17 point run in the last 1:35, they were held to 47 points in 38:25. That's playing D.

He's comparing their success in the second half versus their success in the first half. What else do I have to compare?

Just how good did we play? Tennessee scored 21 points off of 22 turnovers (K state's season high). Tennessee had a 28-14 advantage in the paint and a 26-8 advantage in bench points. K-State's 17 first half points was a season low. We ended their streak of 5 consecutive road wins in December. Foster leads the Big 12 in threes with 28 and had 7 in this game tying his record. •
“You have to give credit to Tennessee. They play hard, and we told our guys that. They don't let you run your stuff. You have to play basketball. You can't win games on the road with 22 turnovers. We missed some shots early, but I thought we guarded well early. I think our offensive struggles got to us mentally, and then we broke down. In the second half, we started well by cutting it to two. Then we broke down again. You have to give our guys credit for continuing to play. They competed, but we have to play better to beat a team like that on the road.” said head coach Bruce Weber.

Yes, I've been told 3 times they scored 17 in the last 1:35. I'm aware. Marquette scored 32 in 20 minutes against us. People were complaining about the D after the Marquette game. What's the difference in your eyes?

FWIW I think they zone is really effective. I believe if you've almost doubled your scoring you've figured out some better way to attack it, regardless of what happens in the last 1:35.

Holding a team to 30 points for 18:25 is not something to sneeze at.

I was most disappointed in our play during the last 1:35. And that doesn't really have to do with KSt figuring anything out but more to do with us playing some really sorry basketball.

He's comparing their success in the second half versus their success in the first half. What else do I have to compare?

Well, you're using the success in the first half against us in the 2nd. They "doubled" their output. Well, yeah, they did. They only scored 17 freakin points in the first half. What if we held them to 5 points in the first half and allowed 20 points in the second half. Would you complain that they "quadrupled" their production in the second half and really figured out our zone?

Well, you're using the success in the first half against us in the 2nd. They "doubled" their output. Well, yeah, they did. They only scored 17 freakin points in the first half. What if we held them to 5 points in the first half and allowed 20 points in the second half. Would you complain that they "quadrupled" their production in the second half and really figured out our zone?

Obviously not. My point is that they had better offense in the second half than in the first. So they figured out a better way to attack us. I'm not discrediting anything they did offensively or we did defensively, but I think they did figure it out to a certain degree. Not enough to win, but enough to almost double their scoring output and give themselves a chance to win. The zone is effective and I'm a fan of the Tyndall system. I just disagree with the assertion that they didn't figure out a better way to attack it in the second half.

Obviously not. My point is that they had better offense in the second half than in the first. So they figured out a better way to attack us. I'm not discrediting anything they did offensively or we did defensively, but I think they did figure it out to a certain degree. Not enough to win, but enough to almost double their scoring output and give themselves a chance to win. The zone is effective and I'm a fan of the Tyndall system. I just disagree with the assertion that they didn't figure out a better way to attack it in the second half.

My point is that I doubt they would be saying they figured it out without that run at the end becaus up until that point they weren't exactly setting the world on fire.

And I don't consider 5 threes during the last minute and a half to be figuring out a defense.

My point is that I doubt they would be saying they figured it out without that run at the end becaus up until that point they weren't exactly setting the world on fire.

And I don't consider 5 threes during the last minute and a half to be figuring out a defense.

I'm just gonna agree to disagree. I even said the zone was effective. I'm not going to clog up this thread any more. I was making a small point and it's turned into an argument.

Go vols.

Holding a team to 30 points for 18:25 is not something to sneeze at.

I was most disappointed in our play during the last 1:35. And that doesn't really have to do with KSt figuring anything out but more to do with us playing some really sorry basketball.
Or the Big 12's leading 3 point guy launching from anywhere on the court before the K-State offense even sets because they were so far behind.

I'm just gonna agree to disagree. I even said the zone was effective. I'm not going to clog up this thread any more. I was making a small point and it's turned into an argument.

Go vols.

Yeah, I'm with you.

VN Store

Back