The Kansas State Postgame Report

cncchris33

I feel like I could just copy/paste the Orlando Classic report here, but here goes...

The Good...
1. Hubbs looked engaged and active again, and gave another glimpse of trying to become an offensive difference-maker. I want to see it for longer stretches.

2. Armani Moore with another solid all-around game. 6 pts, 5 rebs, 5 assts, 5 blks.

3. JRich is still JRich.

4. Maybe our best all-around game against decent competition all year. Struggled from outside (again), but we caused a lot of TOs while protecting the ball ourselves (22-10 TO differential), passed really well (15 assts on 22 makes), and didn't wilt under pressure in the 2nd half.

5. Willie Carmichael's best game of the year. Real aggressive on both ends, and finishes with 9 pts and 6 rebs.

The Bad...
1. We still foul way too much because we don't move our feet and we reach too much. We did take a couple nice charges today that had been blocks earlier this season, so there is improvement.

2. Kevin Punter needs to affect the game more and become more efficient offensively.

3. Loss of Woodson hurts because Tariq Owens doesn't look ready (not surprised).

4. McGhee and Carmichael play with a lot of passion and intensity, but they are going to have to rein in the fouls. We need them on the court, and they can't help from the bench in foul trouble.

5. Killed on the boards again.

6. Terrible outside shooting again.

Bottom Line...
Good performance against legit competition while not having a lot of positive news going for them lately. Most complete game of the year on both ends and hopefully it builds momentum and confidence heading into Butler game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Not being able to close is worrisome but when you have a team this young hopefully they improve. I'm going to watch the game when I get home but getting a win over a team that was picked to finish 4th in a very good conference gives you some hope. GBO!

Reactions: 1 person
Fouls are definitely a problem but we avoided the reaching fouls today. And at least they usually come from being aggressive. We will likely struggle scoring all year without a consistent inside scoring presence. Imo

I wanna give props to the free throw shooting today. Another facit we keep improving

Good stuff. I would add that our defensive rotation looked noticeably better today. Better positioning on the weak side and better closeout on three point shooters. There was only one time I remember our post drifting too high and giving up an easy layup.

Fouls are definitely a problem but we avoided the reaching fouls today. And at least they usually come from being aggressive. We will likely struggle scoring all year without a consistent inside scoring presence. Imo

I wanna give props to the free throw shooting today. Another facit we keep improving

Re: fouls, I'll add that it seems that Tennessee's reputation as a high-percentage foul team worked adversely against them today. The officials were quick with the whistle on several questionable calls against Tennessee while allowing KSU to play rather aggressively at times.

I noticed less of those pointless fouls swatting at the ball after the other team secured a defensive rebound.

Re: fouls, I'll add that it seems that Tennessee's reputation as a high-percentage foul team worked adversely against them today. The officials were quick with the whistle on several questionable calls against Tennessee while allowing KSU to play rather aggressively at times.

Especially early

Good stuff. I would add that our defensive rotation looked noticeably better today. Better positioning on the weak side and better closeout on three point shooters. There was only one time I remember our post drifting too high and giving up an easy layup.

We did defend the paint significantly better, though several fouls came as a result. However, we did let a single player destroy us from outside, and that is becoming a theme. Again, that is partially a product of a zone defense, but it is concerning that we are allowing individuals to have huge games against us from deep. Not sure how you defend it and perhaps it is partially bad luck.

I noticed less of those pointless fouls swatting at the ball after the other team secured a defensive rebound.

Guards did a good job of not trying to force the turnover when it wasn't there. Just kept their man in front of them.

Edit. I realize we play a zone but I was referring to man assignments.

We did defend the paint significantly better, though several fouls came as a result. However, we did let a single player destroy us from outside, and that is becoming a theme. Again, that is partially a product of a zone defense, but it is concerning that we are allowing individuals to have huge games against us from deep. Not sure how you defend it and perhaps it is partially bad luck.

We held him in check for most of the game. It made me wonder if Tyndall told the team to ease up in their closeouts to avoid fouling a three point shooter late. I say that knowing that Moore got away with a potentially killer foul at the very end though.

We held him in check for most of the game. It made me wonder if Tyndall told the team to ease up in their closeouts to avoid fouling a three point shooter late. I say that knowing that Moore got away with a potentially killer foul at the very end though.

Agree on the late no-call on Moore. Not sure we contained Foster so much for most of the game as much as he just missed the open looks for much of it. He caught fire late, but was open much of the time.

I thought Tariq looked ready. He got what 1-2 blocks and had a few good offensive shots, they just werent falling.

Good win! Another game where we beat the odds and overachieved! We did close the game because we won. We gotta do a better job of it. Could have won by 10. Our shooting is inconsistent....ok just bad. Therefore we need to attack the rim more to get us to the line or dish the ball off in the paint for an easy lay-up. We have had a few fastbreak siuations where it was a one man show. Gotta give up the ball. Offensively, we have some work to do. Thank goodness for JRich and is scoring ability. Defensively we are team that will give most a lot of trouble. This game was won by our defense. Go Vols!

Yes! That would have been a game changng foul...and clearly it was.

I thought Tariq looked ready. He got what 1-2 blocks and had a few good offensive shots, they just werent falling.

Wanna see him spot up from 15 more. Bigs will give him that shot til makes a few. I think he has a decent mid range jumper and if he misses it should pull his man away from the basket for a better opportunity to rebound.

I about lost it when Armani threw the ball away at the end, but other than that he played another good game. The defense really seemed to have K-State confused for a lot of the game. I am hoping that some more guys settle in and start to find the range on their shot. I would really like to see Hubbs begin to get uncorked. He can look so smooth and then completely blow a shot.

I've been pleasantly surprised by McGee's offensive game. It only shows in spurts, but he's got some nice post moves and a good touch around the basket.

He just looks really undersized. Had 1 blk, 1 reb, 1 asst, & 1 stl in 11 minutes. It's not that he did anything to get us beat, but you can just tell that he will be grossly ineffective at his current weight outside of his athletic ability to block a few shots. He needs another 30 lbs like a fish needs water.

Owens will be a solid offensive player when he adds some more weight and Armani Moore impacts a game without scoring a lot of points.

he just looks really undersized. Had 1 blk, 1 reb, 1 asst, & 1 stl in 11 minutes. It's not that he did anything to get us beat, but you can just tell that he will be grossly ineffective at his current weight outside of his athletic ability to block a few shots. He needs another 30 lbs like a fish needs water.

x100

I loved how Owens was able to back down hurt,showed his hard work and makes me
Confident in my prediction for him

Decent game from the Vols today. Rebounding was a bit better, but still needs improving. Getting the win was everything. CDT knows this will be a long season. Recruiting more essential than ever. If this team can make the NIT would be a great accomplishment.

Decent game from the Vols today. Rebounding was a bit better, but still needs improving. Getting the win was everything. CDT knows this will be a long season. Recruiting more essential than ever. If this team can make the NIT would be a great accomplishment.

This butler game is huge we need to really get everybody in there,anybody who has a chance please go to this game

VN Store

Back