Bernard King B-Day/video

What a monster. I'm old enough to remember him playing some at the end of his NBA career, and he was who I looked up to as a sports "role model" at that time (along with MJ, of course). :)

It was his birthday yesterday, according to NBA.com, and they posted this highlight video. I figured it was worth sharing. Crazy to think what he might have accomplished had he stayed healthy.

Hall of Fame: Bernard King | NBA.com

staying healthy and staying away from cocaine (huge in the NBA in the 80s). Bill Simmons has a wonderful section about King in the Book of Basketball. It details some of his problems

Regardless, as the ICE MAN saith, He was a bad man. He was worth the price of admission.

The best I ever saw wearing Orange. Not all that close, either.

Was a teenager when Ernie and Berie played. Best tandem ever in Orange and add Mike Jackson and Reggie Johnson and its amazing they never made a Final 4. I seem to recall King was injured his Soph and Jr. seasons during NCAA tourney time. I don't think there will ever be another player as great as Bernard King to play for the Vols, at least not in my lifetime. He only averaged 20+ points and 10+ rebounds per game as a freshman. He was unstoppable

VN Store

Back