The Orlando Classic Post-Tournament Report

cncchris33

My apologies for not being able to do individual postgame reports. Travelling and family obligations led to busy weekend and I only caught parts of each game. Following three games vs quality competition, these are my thoughts...

The Good:
1. Armani Moore has stepped it up. I was critical after an 8-21 start from the field and 3-10 from the line in two games (#s that were much worse than they looked). He was 13-23 from the field and 15-21 from the line in the tournament, & collected 20 rebs to go with 41 points. KU game was a dud because of foul trouble that limited him to 16 minutes.

2. The effort and intensity are there in spurts. The press is very effective and leads to easy point opportunities.

3. Jabari McGhee has been veey efficient offensively. 8-9 from the field for 17 points and 14 rebs in an average of 16 mpg. I see freshman mistakes and defensive lapses, but he is a contributor much earlier than I imagined. Maybe that is his talent, and maybe it's an indictment of where we are at this point. You can't fault his hustle though.

4. Robert Hubbs; at one point I thought I was watching him take over a game against Marquette, if even for one fleeting moment. Then like a fart in the wind, it vanished. Perhaps some confidence is welling up inside somewhere though.

The Bad:
1. JRich is a steadying influence on the court, but his usage is robbing him of his ability. He isn't a PG and never will be. 11 TOs and only 8 FT attempts is testament to that. His FG% is suffering and he can't pass it to himself. I feel like him playing PG is akin to Kentucky playing a WR at QB against us two years ago.

2. We. Cannot. Play. Defense. Without. Fouling. Tennessee is dead last, dead freaking last in the nation in fouls committed. #345 out of 345 teams!!! Move your dad-gum feet and stop reaching!!! We have committed a season's worth of hip-check blocks and reach-in fouls in 5 games. Unreal, absolutely unreal. 26.8 fouls per game.

3. Along the defensive lines, we are allowing our opponents to shoot almost 42%. That is way too high for a team that struggles to score themselves. We are allowing teams to hit 37.5% from 3. Conceding looks from deep is a concern of running a zone defense, and you just have to hope that your opponent misses them, so maybe we have just been unlucky in this regard.

4. We are being outrebounded consistently. This has to change. We miss way too many easy looks and haven't shot well from deep yet, so we have to give ourselves more opportunities and limit the opportunities for our opponents.

5. I see no one ready to step up offensively on a consistent basis to help JRich and Armani. He cannot do anymore than he is, and is honestly trying to do too much, leading to way too many TOs. We see flashes from Mostella and Punter (even Hubbs in short flashes), but they vanish as quickly as they appear. We need aome offensive consistency.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I'm displeased with the results, especially of the Marquette game because I felt we started strong, and then looked lackadaisical and uninterested. We have yet to play a 40-minute game where we put it all together mentally, which is disheartening. Maybe it is the NCAA distractions, maybe they need time to become more cohesive as a team on the court, and maybe they just aren't any good. Lots of unanswered questions that I was hoping to see ironed out to some extent this weekend. Going into the Tennessee Tech game, we stand a strong chance of being 2-6. Not where I had hoped to be, but I am staying patient and looking for improvement, both individually, and as a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Good report! I agree with you on your points. I think a win Saturday's vs K State at home would be huge and would get us back to 500

My apologies for not being able to do individual postgame reports. Travelling and family obligations led to busy weekend and I only caught parts of each game. Following three games vs quality competition, these are my thoughts...

The Good:
1. Armani Moore has stepped it up. I was critical after an 8-21 start from the field and 3-10 from the line in two games (#s that were much worse than they looked. He was 13-23 from the field and 15-21 from the line in the tournament, & collected 20 rebs to go with 41 points. KU game was a dud because of foul trouble that limited him to 16 minutes.

2. The effort and intensity are there in spurts. The press is very effective and leads to easy point opportunities.

3. Jabari McGhee has been veey efficient offensively. 8-9 from the field for 17 points and 14 rebs in an average of 16 mpg. I see freshman mistakes and defensive lapses, but he is a contributor much earlier than I imagined. Maybe that is his talent, and maybe it's an indictment of where we are at this point. You can't fault his hustle though.

4. Robert Hubbs; at one point I thought I was watching him take over a game against Marquette, if even for one fleeting moment. Then like a fart in the wind, it vanished. Perhaps some confidence is welling up inside somewhere though.

The Bad:
1. JRich is a steadying influence on the court, but his usage is robbing him of his ability. He isn't a PG and never will be. 11 TOs and only 8 FT attempts is testament to that. His FG% is suffering and he can't pass it to himself. I feel like him playing PG is akin to Kentucky playing a WR at QB against us two years ago.

2. We. Cannot. Play. Defense. Without. Fouling. Tennessee is dead last, dead freaking last in the nation in fouls committed. #345 out of 345 teams!!! Move your dad-gum feet and stop reaching!!! We have committed a season's worth of hip-check blocks and reach-in fouls in 5 games. Unreal, absolutely unreal. 26.8 fouls per game.

3. Along the defensive lines, we are allowing our opponents to shoot almost 42%. That is way too high for a team that struggles to score themselves. We are allowing teams to hit 37.5% from 3. Conceding looks from deep is a concern of running a zone defense, and you just have to hope that your opponent misses them, so maybe we have just been unlucky in this regard.

4. We are being outrebounded consistently. This has to change. We miss way too many easy looks and haven't shot well from deep yet, so we have to give ourselves more opportunities and limit the opportunities for our opponents.

5. I see no one ready to step up offensively on a consistent basis to help JRich and Armani. He cannot do anymore than he is, and is honestly trying to do too much, leading to way too many TOs. We see flashes from Mostella and Punter (even Hubbs in short flashes), but they vanish as quickly as they appear. We need aome offensive consistency.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I'm displeased with the results, especially of the Marquette game because I felt we started strong, and then looked lackadaisical and uninterested. We have yet to play a 40-minute game where we put it all together mentally, which is disheartening. Maybe it is the NCAA distractions, maybe they need time to become more cohesive as a team on the court, and maybe they just aren't any good. Lots of unanswered questions that I was hoping to see ironed out to some extent this weekend. Going into the Tennessee Tech game, we stand a strong chance of being 2-6. Not where I had hoped to be, but I am staying patient and looking for improvement, both individually, and as a team.

Yep very disappointing tournament

Very good, and accurate write up IMO, agree completely with it. Marquette game was definitely a huge disappointment, how we looked outside of the first 5 minutes was inexcusable.

Tyndall has his work cut out, 6-6 OOC is very realistic, and then you're looking at possibly a 14 maybe 15 win season, that would beyond suck.

Very good, and accurate write up IMO, agree completely with it. Marquette game was definitely a huge disappointment, how we looked outside of the first 5 minutes was inexcusable.

Tyndall has his work cut out, 6-6 OOC is very realistic, and then you're looking at possibly a 14 maybe 15 win season, that would beyond suck.

15 wins was my prediction.

Reactions: 1 person
Good report.

You know, it doesn't do a lot of good to play this pressing zone defense when we are committing fouls at a record clip and letting our opponents score from the foul line. We are going to have to start moving our feet

Josh Richardson wishes he was playing anywhere but point guard and I don't blame him.

Reactions: 2 people
Good post Chris. The Marquette game was a disappointment.

I mean, it's not any more disappointing than traveling to a tournament and only winning against something called Chaminade or...getting flat out embarrassed by the only good team we play in the tourney (Ok State in 2012) or... losing an opening round game to UTEP. But I was still really hoping for a win there.

Hopefully, Tyndall doesn't come home from the trip and really lay an egg by doing something similar to the last head coach did in his first year when we lost 4 straight after Maui including losses to juggernauts like Oakland, College of Charleston and Austin Peay.

Reactions: 4 people
Good post Chris. The Marquette game was a disappointment.

I mean, it's not any more disappointing than traveling to a tournament and only winning against something called Chaminade or...getting flat out embarrassed by the only good team we play in the tourney (Ok State in 2012) or... losing an opening round game to UTEP. But I was still really hoping for a win there.

Hopefully, Tyndall doesn't come home from the trip and really lay an egg by doing something similar to the last head coach did in his first year when we lost 4 straight after Maui including losses to juggernauts like Oakland, College of Charleston and Austin Peay.

That's what I keep telling myself....at least it's a name school lol

Thanks! Good post.

Josh is frustrated and doesn't like his role. Hubbs looks like he's lost and doesn't know what his role is...on, and on.
No leadership. No bigs in paint. Stupid Fouls. No true point guard.
Good luck, Donnie. I'm still pulling for you. If you win more than you lose it would be a great season, and as always...

GO VOLS! :clapping:

I think its time to force Punter to run the point and hope the production we get from Rich moving back to his natural position more than offsets the negative that may come from having Punter being the primary ball handler. Also wouldn't mind seeing Baulkman get a look at the 1, if for no other reason than to give the other 2 a blow. Jmo

:3cheers: Awesome post Chris!!! I felt they were very sluggish after that beginning run! McGhee should have played more to provide the energy. Yes, Richardson is becoming quite frustrated with playing PG. DOM...ugh...I barely remember him going in the game. He is a bit of a softy but I LOVED those two post moves in the Kansas game. He need to do that more often. We definitely could have beat MARQ but that is water under the bridge. Hopefully, they will GEL and lets start beating some assets!! Can u say.....GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!

:3cheers: Awesome post Chris!!! I felt they were very sluggish after that beginning run! McGhee should have played more to provide the energy. Yes, Richardson is becoming quite frustrated with playing PG. DOM...ugh...I barely remember him going in the game. He is a bit of a softy but I LOVED those two post moves in the Kansas game. He need to do that more often. We definitely could have beat MARQ but that is water under the bridge. Hopefully, they will GEL and lets start beating some assets!! Can u say.....GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!

Been wondering for a few days, maybe someone asked and I missed it. Are you related to Jabari also? Jabby makes me think Jabari so possibly his cousin?

Nice breakdown.

IMO, this is a very undisciplined team on offense. CDT either gives the green light way to much or they are just lazy on offense. Either way, itÂ’s not a disciplined half court offense. IÂ’m sure some of it was fatigue but during the Kansas game, way to many ill-advised shots but we still battled. Marquette was just horrible. The half court offense was basically nonexistent for long periods of the game. We simply settled against the zone and got beat. Defense was lazy and when someone tore thru the middle of that zone, no one was there to help or help was too late. Tennessee is a better team than Marquette but CDT got out coached. This is a perfect learning game and thatÂ’s what these early tournaments are about. Game film will really help the zone and I believe our defense will get a lot better from it. As for offense, it showed how not having a PG hurts. Richardson is NOT a PG and I feel sorry for the guy. Hubbs showed a little bit and I think heÂ’ll continue gaining confidence. Too much raw talent to not get it going.

Been wondering for a few days, maybe someone asked and I missed it. Are you related to Jabari also? Jabby makes me think Jabari so possibly his cousin?

OH MY! I have been REVEALED!!!! Yes... I am! LOL! He is my JABBY! However, carry on as if I am invisible! LOL!:rock:

Reactions: 1 person
Can't believe I'm asking, but since I can't find a solid answer, how many wins to get an NIT bid? at least 16 or 17, right?

Good post Chris. You have dissected this situation thoroughly. I might reinterate on the rebounding and lack there of. This is an area (among many others) that has to get cleaned up. Watching the opponent get second and third shots is painful to watch. More reason to give appreciation for what Stokes provided during his tenure at UT. Moving forward Tyndall has lots to work on, but if he doesn't recruit any better than what he has coming in not sure if this team will be able to compete against the upper echelon of the SEC or better OOC teams.

Good post Chris. You have dissected this situation thoroughly. I might reinterate on the rebounding and lack there of. This is an area (among many others) that has to get cleaned up. Watching the opponent get second and third shots is painful to watch. More reason to give appreciation for what Stokes provided during his tenure at UT. Moving forward Tyndall has lots to work on, but if he doesn't recruit any better than what he has coming in not sure if this team will be able to compete against the upper echelon of the SEC or better OOC teams.

On the flip side seems like we were pretty good on the offensive glass yesterday

Lol man I feel like a detective. Glad to have you on board

THANKS! I am glad to be here! I AM A VOLNATION ADDICT! The McGhee Family is very happy about being a part of the VOL WORLD! GO VOLS!:eek:k:

Last edited:
THANKS! I am glad to be here! I AM A VOLNATION ATTIC! Our family are very happy about being a part of the VOL WORLD! GO VOLS!:eek:k:

Just saw the highlights vs Kansas (been out of the country for a week and a half). I liked Jabari's moves in the post. Am I remembering correctly that he was playing an old high school friend of his that game? I thought AuntieDee said something like that. He needs to keep using those moves every game. They were nice.

Just saw the highlights vs Kansas (been out of the country for a week and a half). I liked Jabari's moves in the post. Am I remembering correctly that he was playing an old high school friend of his that game? I thought AuntieDee said something like that. He needs to keep using those moves every game. They were nice.

That's his favorite move...THE SPIN MOVE! LOl! THANKS! He was playing against a high school rivalry team member of Tift Co. High School (Tifton, Ga.) named Brennen Greene. They have a LOVE/HATE relationship. They played on the same AAU team during his 11th grade year. Now, CAVOL, can you figure out who AUNTIEDEE is to me?:)

Seriously folks - a winning record would be a tremendous accomplishment for this group. When you pull together 8 new bodies so late in the recruiting cycle anything better than .500 would be remarkable.

VN Store

Back