Putting It All Together!

SeniorDrill

This team is a work in process. It will probably take until the SEC season starts for the team to start to gel and correct the mistakes this young, inexperienced team is making. We have the coach who will do that. How do we out rebound a team by 17 with Armani getting 13 along with 18 points and lose? Simple answer. We shoot 4 of 6 from free throw line and Marquette shoots 15 of 23. Makes you wonder about the refs doesn't it. Anyway they played very well 2 of the 3 games. Armani said they lost focus and had a week to work on it. Coach T says they will work on penetrating the zone and Josh needs to be more vocal as the leader. So it's really not saying much when some Vol fans take cheap pot shots at a work in progress. It just shows the limited depth of their basketball knowledge in my opinion. Had the football team lost to Vandy, those same folks would have been calling for Butch's head. Butch always says it's a game of inches! Guess what, basketball is also!

Reactions: 3 people
This team is a work in process. It will probably take until the SEC season starts for the team to start to gel and correct the mistakes this young, inexperienced team is making. We have the coach who will do that. How do we out rebound a team by 17 with Armani getting 13 along with 18 points and lose? Simple answer. We shoot 4 of 6 from free throw line and Marquette shoots 15 of 23. Makes you wonder about the refs doesn't it. Anyway they played very well 2 of the 3 games. Armani said they lost focus and had a week to work on it. Coach T says they will work on penetrating the zone and Josh needs to be more vocal as the leader. So it's really not saying much when some Vol fans take cheap pot shots at a work in progress. It just shows the limited depth of their basketball knowledge in my opinion. Had the football team lost to Vandy, those same folks would have been calling for Butch's head. Butch always says it's a game of inches! Guess what, basketball is also!

I agree with you, I'm impressed with Coach T and his system. Our guys look much more organized and focussed on the gameplan than I can ever remember under coach Martin and reminds me of the intensity which Pearl instilled into the program. We could be a dangerous team come tourney time if we can make it in!

Appreciate your enthusiasm SD...but while I certainly hope DT is the guy (mainly bc I don't want to see another hiring search led by Hart)...I'm not ready to jump in with both feet just yet.

His teams play hard and the guy coaches with a lot of energy. I hope DT is "the guy" to lead this program for several years, mainly bc it needs some consistency. However, as many have said, recruiting ballers to Knoxville is tough enough without the NCAA breathing down your neck.

Hopefully a few years from now we'll be a regular in the tourney and you can be telling us all "I told you so!"

I hate to say it, but we may see a team finish 15th in a league with 14 teams this season.

You can put any spin you want to on it This Team will struggle to finish with a .500 record because of the inexperience. The NCAA mess doesn't help.

Hasn't ever team lite it up from behind the arc vs. us this season? Leaving people wide open for 3s seems to be a trend for us.
The new twist was us chucking them because our guys didn't know how to attack a zone.
Donnie must have called Zo at half time. Wasn't that his answer?

Reactions: 1 person
The new twist was us chucking them because our guys didn't know how to attack a zone.
Donnie must have called Zo at half time. Wasn't that his answer?

He must have watched highlights of last season and thought it worked well lol

This team is neither the team that played Kansas or Marquette. But somewhere in between. We are lacking in several areas, interior defense, consistent shooting etc... Many of which will improve with experience. I can easily see Jabari coming in at 240 and Willie 225 next year. Size and experience should help in playing D without so many fouls. Not worried about the system it is a proven winner but am more worried about a lack of pg & pure shooters next year.

Reactions: 1 person
This team needs to start taking more mid range shots instead of settling for a quick three point attempt as they did today against Marquette but I liked the way they outrebounded Marquette and now comes a tough test Saturday against Kansas State.

The fouls had nothing to do with the refs, it had to do with our being out of position and stupidity such as reaching in 85 feet from the basket after Marquette secured a rebound. We are one of the most foul prone teams in the country, Wojo said their game plan was to just attack us because they knew they'd get fouled and live at the line.

The fouls had nothing to do with the refs, it had to do with our being out of position and stupidity such as reaching in 85 feet from the basket after Marquette secured a rebound. We are one of the most foul prone teams in the country, Wojo said their game plan was to just attack us because they knew they'd get fouled and live at the line.
But Wojo is a much more experienced coach.

I suppose one could make the argument that 15 years as Coach K's assistant is as good experience as being a mid major head coach for 9 years.

I like your enthusiasm, SD. Hoping the season turns out okay like you say it will.

VN Store

Back