Curious Case of Robert Hubbs III

IndianapolisVol

(Volunteer) Basketball Mod
Anyone else notice how underwhelming Hubbs was last year and now starting to play this year? This guy is a former 5 star recruit. I would love for another guard to step up and provide J Rich some help, and before the season had assumed it would be him.

The 3 fouls in 7 minutes against TX Southern has got me wondering. I hope it clicks for the kid, I think he has a TON of potential, I just think think right now he seems to be lacking confidence.

I will hangup and listen.

Reactions: 2 people
I think having an abundance of wings at Donnie's disposal doesn't help his confidence. Last year, he had more or less of a role. With so many guards, I think it's hard for Hubbs' to find an identity. He has enormous talent and potential, he just hasn't gotten there yet.

I think Kevin Punter and Detrick Mostella have together provided what we had hoped Hubbs would have provided by now. Mostella vs. VCU and Punter vs Texas Southern. Outside of JRich, I don't know that we will see consistent offensive output from any one particular individual night in and night out, at least early on. CDT still seems to be feeling out his lineup and allowing them to develop chemistry as separate groups. This will lead to erratic box scores for some guys early on. Once he pares the rotation down to 9 or so, you'll start to see more defined offensive roles established. Unfortunately for Hubbs, he is at risk of not making that 9-man rotation. Never thought I'd be saying that, but he needs to step up.

He's big enough that I would like to see him in a two man game with rich or punter in a pick and roll type play

In basketball, even more than in football, great players tend to have that "give me the freakin ball because I'm the freakin man" type attitude. The lack of that attitude was the biggest thing that held Scottie Hopson back for example. I don't believe Hubbs WANTS to be the man. You cannot be timid and play basketball.

He will be fine people said the samething about McRae his first year or so until the light turned on for him.

He will be fine people said the samething about McRae his first year or so until the light turned on for him.

It took 2+ years for McRae, and that is why I'm holding onto hope. Still, even when he struggled, McRae outwardly displayed that fire & emotion that is virtually absent from Hubbs.

Reactions: 3 people
He certainly hasn't been the savior of our program as you would normally expect from a five-star to some extent. So far, it doesn't look like he's ever going to live up to the hype.

Anyone else notice how underwhelming Hubbs was last year and now starting to play this year? This guy is a former 5 star recruit. I would love for another guard to step up and provide J Rich some help, and before the season had assumed it would be him.

The 3 fouls in 7 minutes against TX Southern has got me wondering. I hope it clicks for the kid, I think he has a TON of potential, I just think think right now he seems to be lacking confidence.

I will hangup and listen.
Just goes to show how much star rankings are hit and miss. He showed natural ability, explosiveness in HS against less talented players, and has been a complete bust thus far in college. He plays very timid, no confidence or aggressiveness whatsoever.

Reactions: 3 people
It seems pretty simple to me. Hubbs doesn't yet understand what giving effort really means. He played 19 minutes against VCU and had ZERO offensive or defensive rebounds, rebounding is all about attitude and effort.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, he was hurt last year. Also had a different coach and system. Maybe he's not 100% yet. Maybe he hasn't adapted to the new system as well. I believe he wishes he had transferred. Don't really know but something is definitely different in his attitude and demeanor.
Hope he comes around. :yes:

GO VOLS!

Guys, I will be HAPPY if this kid turns out like Hopson. Hopson averaged about 13 points per game.

This! Scotty Hopson had holes in his game, but his production was light years ahead of what we've seen from Hubbs in every season Hopson played.

He was second team All SEC as a junior, First team All SEC freshman and freshman of the week twice. Like the OP said, I'd love to have Hubbs have that kind of career.

Just looks like a kid with no confidence. All great players (jarnel stokes) have. All mediocre players "Scotty Hopson" don't.

I hope it clicks. He just doesn't seem comfortable or have that trigger that just clicks and he goes out and destroys his man. It's early tho and we have a new team trying to get comfortable. You have to remember.

Even tho he played 12 games last year. Look who he had around him there was little to no pressure on him to come in and be the man. To me this is still his freshman year in terms of getting comfortable. I think he'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 people
The kid played 12 games with a torn tendon in his shoulder and is 2 games into his career with a new coach. Yup, stick a fork in him, he's done.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back