Texas Southern Postgame Report

cncchris33

1. Great to get a win at home on opening night for the Vols at home and Tyndall's forst home game. However, this game is an example of why those with the most positive mindsets need to temper expectations, at least until January. Offensively, that Tennessee basketball team lpoked like a lost ball in high weeds for much of the game, and nearly the entire first half. Maybe it is these week-long layovers between games that isn't allowing them to get in the flow, but I saw a lot of dribbling 30-35 feet from the basket, and no real urgency to get the ball inside the three-point arc for large portions of the shot clock. Sound familiar?

2. Continuing with the offensive woes, 7 assists on 25 made baskets is pretty awful. A product of no real PG most likely, but that is bad. By contrast, TSU had 13 assists on 18 made baskets. I can't help but wonder what an elite PG would mean to this team with Punter and JRich on either side of him.

3. We won nearly every facet of the game, FG%, 3-point %, FT%, TO battle, REB battle, steals, blocks, and only managed a 12-point win. Not real sure how to explain that other than we did give them several second-chance points and they seemed to win most every 50-50 ball.

4. Defensively, there were some breakdowns, but the press looked good again, and the halfcourt defense looked smothering at times. 17 steals in two games is impressive. I do wish it had led to more fast break points last night. Perhaps it was an anomally, but last night at least, it felt like our defense may be ahead of our offense at this point (sans the breakdowns), which I find surprising.

5. MVP goes to...JRich. If there is a prettier mid-range game in America, I'd have to see it. That guy makes more 12-15 foot jumpers/floaters than anyone I ever remember at Tennessee, and he makes it look so easy. 19 pts, 8 rebs, 2 assts, 2stls, 0 TOs. Player o' the Game for my money. He can do it all.

6. LVP...Armani Moore. Probably an unpopular choice, and I want to commend him for his defense and rebounding. Having said that, through one full game and 30 of last night's game, he has been awful offensively. 3-9 from the field and 2-7 from the line against VCU, and through 30 minutes last night, he was 0-6 from the field. Thank God for his offensive spurt in the final 10 minutes. Last year, Armani could get by on hustle, defense, & rebounding. But, if he is going to average 10.5 FG attempts per game this year, then he has to be more consistent. This team needs his offense and he needs to be more efficient in providing it. Really needs to improve at the FT line too. 3-11 through 2 games. His stat line from last night looks good across the board, but if you watched the game, then you know every bit of his offense came in the last 10 minutes. Maybe he was working through a slump, and he found his way out. Let's hope so because we need him offensively this year in addition to his trademark hustle and rebounding.

7. Robert Hubbs looks like a defeated player right now. His body language says it all. If he decided to transfer, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. The light just isn't going on for him. Only played 7 minutes last night, and just never got going. He looks like he is miserable too every time he heads to the bench. 2 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asst, 3 fouls in 7 minutes.

8. Speaking of fouls, we foul WAAAAY too much, and it seems through two games, that many tend to be a product of not moving our feet. Their were several reach fouls too, and a couple bad calls, but we have to learn to establish better position and play defense without fouling. We played great defense for 30+ seconds at times last night, and bailed TSU out with a cheap reach-in or block.

9. Willie Carmichael came on last night like many of us imagined he would. He probably did the best job of any of our players in terms of boxing out on missed shots, and he seems to have a physicality that endears him to fans. He needs to continue to gain weight, but I like what I saw. Seems like a longer version of Armani Moore. Loved his hustle on that posterizing block on the dunk attempt in the first half.

10. An uninspiring win vs a team they should have handled by 20+. Some new guys regressed a little, and some stepped up. Same with the vets. A bit ofa mixed bag when contrasted with the VCU game. I think it could remain that way until CDT settles on a 9-man rotation. Woodson didn't play with a hand injury, so, when healthy, he is going to take some minutes from Owens and/or McGhee and Reese if Carmichael continues to play like he did last night.

Extra Nugget: TSU's Chris Thomas is a former 5*, top-20 player who named Tennessee his leader as a HS sophomore when Pearl was coaching. For several reasons, his career has taken a rocky road that has led him to Nebraska, Marshall, and now TSU. A shame, because he has worlds of talent. Scored 11 in the 1st half last night and then went scoreless in the 2nd and was clearly frustrated.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with the Hubbs point. He also limped off the court in the 2nd half and looked like he was in pain. Don't think he returned either.

Thanks.

So, a win, and not much else? Long season, huh?
Around and around we go. :thud:

GO VOLS!

Good assessment. I would not be that hard on Armani but your view is reasonable. As for Hubbs, we have to remember he's been sitting for a year and (hopefully) he's just starting to get his feet wet at the college level.

Thanks.

So, a win, and not much else? Long season, huh?
Around and around we go. :thud:

GO VOLS!

I wouldn't take an extreme depressed view on it. Just know that getting this many new guys to come together and learn a new system in addition to learning to play together without a true PG will take some time. This team will take some lumps early, but I expect them to improve. I'll withhold ultimate judgement until season's end, but what I'm really looking for is improvement, and signs that we are building on this foundation.

My expectations weren't that high to begin with at .500.
However I'm seeing a team that is a lot farther behind on the offensive end than I expected.
Too much individual effort and not much team play to date.

Good assessment. I would not be that hard on Armani but your view is reasonable. As for Hubbs, we have to remember he's been sitting for a year and (hopefully) he's just starting to get his feet wet at the college level.

Re: Armani...
Like I said, probably an unpopular opinion/choice because he is a fan favorite, but just trying to be objective. We need more from him offensively if he is going to attempt to affect the game from a scoring standpoint with 10+ shots/gm. He has to be more efficient.

Re: Hubbs...
I have preached patience with him too. I just need to see a flash of that potential to keep myself from believing that he may never realize it. I have rarely seen that in 14 reg season and 4 exhibition games, amd right now, he just looks totally dejected. Hope he finds it though. We could really use him, especially beyond this season.

My expectations weren't that high to begin with at .500.
However I'm seeing a team that is a lot farther behind on the offensive end than I expected.
Too much individual effort and not much team play to date.

I'm seeing the same thing, which surprises me because I thought our defense would be further behind. The absence of a true PG is weighing heavy on them thus far. JRich is doing a good job at acting like a PG, but he is what he is.

The offense is looking scarily Zo-like in these first two games. Giving benefit of the doubt at this point due to lack of PG

Why all the negative depressing attitudes about the offense?

I have been pleasantly surprised with the offense thus far considering the situation.............

Why all the negative depressing attitudes about the offense?

I have been pleasantly surprised with the offense thus far considering the situation.............

Yes considering we are two games in with a new system and 8 new players.

Punter has the potential to be the best of the new recruits IMO.

Carmichael reminded me of Duke Crews last night.

As for Hubbs, I think he is at a major crossroads. Basketball has always been easy for him with no thought or effort. just go out and beat people strictly on talent. Now he just cannot do that at this level, so he is either going to crumble under that reality or he will use that to work harder and become and even better player. Unfortunately it looks like the former is happening.

I would like to see us score more easy buckets out of the regular offense. Find more good looks. It seems like even most of the shots that go in were a real struggle.

I think 6 of Josh's point came basically 3v1. That one play where he was trapped up around mid court, got out of it and busted a mid range shot in the face of a help defender kind of epitomizes what I am talking about.

It was an awesome play, but jesus, let's get that man a little help.

The offense is looking scarily Zo-like in these first two games. Giving benefit of the doubt at this point due to lack of PG

That was expected by anyone who really knows basketball. His teams historically score the same or a little less than Martin's teams. His teams have avg over 70 only a few times in his career.

I have no idea why people thought he had a high scoring o. I tried telling everyone. As long as he wins I'll be happy. I wonder if the Zo's offense was too boring guys are gonna turn on CDT too?

Reactions: 1 person
I would like to see us score more easy buckets out of the regular offense. Find more good looks. It seems like even most of the shots that go in were a real struggle.

I think 6 of Josh's point came basically 3v1. That one play where he was trapped up around mid court, got out of it and busted a mid range shot in the face of a help defender kind of epitomizes what I am talking about.

It was an awesome play, but jesus, let's get that man a little help.

A combination of no natural PG and no experience in the post makes life difficult in that regard. I hope CDT sees this and at least offers Dequan Miller. He seems like our most likely solution at PG, even if he isn't ideal. He's better than anything we currently have. Next year we will have the experience in the post and hopefully those guys add some weight as well (and Dom loses it). If we have someone that can get them the ball consistently and we work inside out, then those baskets should become more available in the post, on cuts to the basket, and open looks from outside of contested ones.

2 things that stuck out to me offensively that I thiught hurt us...

1. We missed a ton of bunnies, especially in the first half. Seems like at times that could possibly be just so much youth and inexperience and guys rushing things, did the same early against VCU also, settled down in the second half.

2. This may be a product of number 1, but it seemed like Carmichael and Owens both passed up pretty decent 5 foot looks to kick thit ball back outside to a covered guard and let him dribble around for 10-15 more seconds.

Hubbs taking spots? That is only if he is consistent! Loosing weight, good practice habits, etc.... We will see! I dont think dt will have the same starting lineup each game.

VN Store

Back