What do you think?

SeniorDrill

Coach T has a reputation for being a very good floor coach. What do you think about his ability to take this young inexperienced team that had a terrible first half, was down by 18 points, and actually win the second half by 3 points against the #15 ranked team in the country despite having 3 of our players foul out?

We gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there

JR

Reactions: 3 people
Coach T has a reputation for being a very good floor coach. What do you think about his ability to take this young inexperienced team that had a terrible first half, was down by 18 points, and actually win the second half by 3 points against the #15 ranked team in the country despite having 3 of our players foul out?

I just hope they don't have too many losses when late January gets here. I think if they still have something to play for they will be a team that no one wants to have to play.

I appreciate the post game interview by DT. Seemed very factual about what his team did and did not do. When you look at that particular game, you can't help but get excited about the possibilities that exist for this program. My only concern is this NCAA albatross that seems to be hanging around his neck. I hope with all sincerity that this can be resolved in a positive manner for DT!

Reactions: 1 person

The problem with this sort of analysis is that it ignores the reality of the situation. Maybe VCU, having an 18 point lead and seeing an easy path to victory, changed things up by extending their poses sion time forcing some errant shots as the shot clock wound down? Or maybe they gave some bench players minutes? Or maybe they just took a breather because we didn't scare them?

The problem with this sort of analysis is that it ignores the reality of the situation. Maybe VCU, having an 18 point lead and seeing an easy path to victory, changed things up by extending their poses sion time forcing some errant shots as the shot clock wound down? Or maybe they gave some bench players minutes? Or maybe they just took a breather because we didn't scare them?
And maybe their starters, who all played more than 30 minutes except for the injured kid, including the 20 point scorer who only had 3 in the second all just laid down or got wore out trying to play their pressing defense and score against ours! Stats don't lie!

Reactions: 2 people
Why no mention of VCU missing their starting PG who's also their best player, no mention of their backup PG leaving the game with an injury, or their 3rd string PG being in foul trouble.

Why no mention of VCU missing their starting PG who's also their best player, no mention of their backup PG leaving the game with an injury, or their 3rd string PG being in foul trouble.
Why no mention of Tennessee missing their starting PG, no mention of Tennessee's backup PG fouling out, or their 3rd string PG coming off an injury? :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
jrich is playing pg. He isn't a pg, so technically, he would be 4th string if we had 3 pgs and would be playing his correct position.

Reactions: 1 person

Iirc we'll be missing a starting pg all year.

One thing I do believe is if Martin took this very team to that game we lose by 30 points or more. There is no comeback in the second half we fold and they win both halves by at least fifteen per half.
This game came down to a guy bombing NBA three pointers in the first half at an unusual percentage. In the second half he cooled off we get it down to 8 and the Refs take over. Two very bad calls on Richardson and a mysterious call inside when we looked to have two and a free throw.
This team can win Tyndall has to figure out his rotation and stick with it. He has to let these guy play repetition after repetition at their position so they can understand their role on the team. We have to quit quick shooting the ball get it inside more to Dom. I still think we win 17 to 19 games the SEC is awful.

Since you don't want to give the coach any credit, let me refer you to a post Patrick made about yours truly in another thread, "Weren't you one of the people on this board who said we should give 100% support o Butch Jones when he was hired as the football coach???"

I'm a retired HS basketball coach FWIW, and I saw some things I was really impressed with, and some things that really concern me going forward. I love the effort the kids put forth. Battling back in the second half showed a lot of guts. I like the aggressiveness on defense, this roster is well suited to DT's defensive philosophy. I am very concerned about the defensive rebounding. Man or zone, you have to put bodies on bodies and go get the ball. That didn't happen consistently. Second and third shots will get you beat every night. Our shot selection concerns me a little, and we seem a little loose with the ball. These, however, can be fixed. Overall, if the NCAA storm passes, this could be the start of something special in Knoxville. Defensive intensity will win you a lot of games.

VN Store

Back