Our starting lineup

Stoked

After seeing our first game give your opinion on who you want to start.

If we play small

Punter
Mostella
Richardson
Moore
McGhee

If we go big then

Punter
Mostella
Richardson
McGhee
Woodson

I also wouldn't mind starting Hubbs and have Mostella come off the bench to give us a scoring spark. Woodson will help a lot when we play bigger teams. He didn't have a good match up at all last night.

I like

Punter
Mostella
Josh
Moore
Woodson

Side note: If Hubbs doesn't find his confidence and become more aggressive, he might get buried on the bench when Baulkman returns. Especially if Chile's gets healthy and starts contributing, our backcourt is too stacked for passive play.

Til Chile's is able to contribute minutes at the 1 I still like Rich there. I know Rich would be better receiving but his experience is needed under any kind of pressure. IMO

Woodson and Tariq need more minutes based off what I saw last night tho.

After seeing our first game give your opinion on who you want to start.

If we play small

Punter
Mostella
Richardson
Moore
McGhee

If we go big then

Punter
Mostella
Richardson
McGhee
Woodson

I also wouldn't mind starting Hubbs and have Mostella come off the bench to give us a scoring spark. Woodson will help a lot when we play bigger teams. He didn't have a good match up at all last night.

I must say that I agree! That McGhee guy brought energy and heart to the game! I look forward to seeing him blossom at Tennessee!

Til Chile's is able to contribute minutes at the 1 I still like Rich there. I know Rich would be better receiving but his experience is needed under any kind of pressure. IMO

Woodson and Tariq need more minutes based off what I saw last night tho.

That 1 steal in 1 minute impressed you huh? :)

We have a great group of freshman that I hope we can keep together for the next 4 years. Mostella could go down as a top 10 player in UT history if he puts in the work. He is super talented. Putting up 17 points in his debut is impressive against VCU's defense.

I like

Punter
Mostella
Josh
Moore
Woodson

Side note: If Hubbs doesn't find his confidence and become more aggressive, he might get buried on the bench when Baulkman returns. Especially if Chile's gets healthy and starts contributing, our backcourt is too stacked for passive play.

I have to agree Jerry. Lots of scoring punch and enough ball-handlers in that group to work with. Rebounding is probably an issue with that bunch, but it probably is for any combo you throw out there based on our limitations and learning curve to rebounding out of the zone defensively. On most nights, that gives us a lineup with four guys who can hit from outside, and three that could shoot 35%+ from 3 (Punter, Mostella, JRich). It is also a good group defensively for the trap after made baskets.

Reactions: 1 person
I have to agree Jerry. Lots of scoring punch and enough ball-handlers in that group to work with. Rebounding is probably an issue with that bunch, but it probably is for any combo you throw out there based on our limitations and learning curve to rebounding out of the zone defensively. On most nights, that gives us a lineup with four guys who can hit from outside, and three that could shoot 35%+ from 3 (Punter, Mostella, JRich). It is also a good group defensively for the trap after made baskets.

The only group I could see not getting beat bad on the boards would be...Josh, Mostella, Moore, Jabari, and Woodson. But that would limit us more offensively and would still probably lose the rebounding battle. As you said the scoring/shooting, ball handling and pressing of the other unit would be really good. Which would give it the best chance of covering our rebounding deficiencies. IMO

Hubbs needs to step up in a big way. He has so much raw talent so I'm not sure if something is in his head or what the deal is but he has all the potential to be a very special player.

Hubbs needs to step up in a big way. He has so much raw talent so I'm not sure if something is in his head or what the deal is but he has all the potential to be a very special player.
Does he? I'm not even being argumentative, but regardless of Hubb's 5* and enormous amount of athleticism, I haven't seen it to this point. I can't remember his name but Ex-Pearl and Ex-Cuonzo assistant talked about Hubbs "for sure" being a future NBA player.

I just haven't seen the offensive spark or that extra "can do anything with ball" spark from Hubbs. What are his strengths? I haven't been able to see yet. Jmo.

I agree that he hasn't shown much but I don't think he's been given enough time yet. He came in last year and never got the time to transition from HS to college with the injury. And now, he's got a brand new coach and a new system. I think by SEC play, he'll be force.

I agree that he hasn't shown much but I don't think he's been given enough time yet. He came in last year and never got the time to transition from HS to college with the injury. And now, he's got a brand new coach and a new system. I think by SEC play, he'll be force.

I hope that's all it is but usually u see a sort of fire from guys that are going to be stars and right now he is not sowing that at all.

Tyndall said that it would be McGhee, Carmichael, Moore, Punter, and Richardson starting game two so that is where we are right now. Hubbs and Woodson have to get more aggressive in their play or they are second team. Chiles is just here another injury for him toe so he is out. Baulkman is back and will come off the bench tomorrow. Looks like Reese is off the bench as well. Owens don't what his status is played one minute in the VCU game.

Of course each Volblogger has his/her preference for a starting lineup. I personally would prefer Punter, Mostella, Richardson, McGhee, and Woodson for starters. However, what we want doesn't matter one bit. Coach T knows what he's looking for to jump start the game. So, We'll just have to trust his judgement. His change in rotation energized the second half of the VCU game. Apparently he's looking for that same energy right out of the box this time.

That's a horrendous offensive lineup, pretty clear the thought process was how do we improve rebounding. I'm sure the hope is force some turnovers and get a few easy baskets, should be interesting.

Not any different than the last starting lineup bc Hubbs and Reese gave us nothing offensively and I would bet that these two will be better at giving us hustle baskets.....but its early and he is playing with lineups.....I just wish we weren't playing a team like Texas Southern.

I wish Dom would get in shape so he could start.

Punter
Richardson
Moore
McGhee
Woodson

Mostella for sure deserves to start but it would be better for the team if he came off the bench to add a scoring spark. He should be top 3 in minutes with Richardson and Moore. Hopefully Baulkman and Hubbs can provide some 2nd team scoring help too. I like Mcghee starting over Reese. Just like Krager has his man crush on Reese I have one on McGhee. I love his hustle. He is already a better rebounder, post player, pretty much everything but 3 point shooter than Reese.

Reactions: 2 people
Not any different than the last starting lineup bc Hubbs and Reese gave us nothing offensively and I would bet that these two will be better at giving us hustle baskets.....but its early and he is playing with lineups.....I just wish we weren't playing a team like Texas Southern.
Texas Southern should be a perfect fit for what we're trying to do. wish we'd played them before VCU.
Mike Davis coached team. They don't return much from last year's NCAA appearance.
Let's put two halves together and start from the tip off.

VN Store

Back