VCU Postgame Thread

cncchris33

I thought ZJC had said he was going to do these, but here goes.

Sparty touched on a lot of the individual efforts tonight in another thread, so I won't spend a ton of time on that, unless to add to them.

1. I thought our trap and the zone was SUPER-effective at times. As with any young team, we got lost, didn't close out on shooters, failed to recognize Melvin Johnson as the hot hand (this is becoming a trend that I don't like), and got beat back after transition buckets. These are all focus-related issues that can be corrected. Mental errors lose ballgames, and we have to be better in those areas. Overall, the defense is very exciting and I love the press. Any combination of Richardson, Punter, Hubbs, & Mostella at the front of that press has me excited. Super-quick and athletic.

2. JRich looked very uncomfortable at PG. It almost forced him into too much one-on-one action in which he forced shots and tried to do too much, which led to the 7 TOs, 2 off of offensive fouls. Perhaps it was due to the nature of VCU's HAVOC defense on this particular night, but we really need someone to step up there and allow him to play off the ball. Ian Chiles suddenly breaking through would be a Godsend.

3. Detrick Mostella is everything offensively that we want so badly for Robert Hubbs to be. Aggressive. He never met a shot he didn't like or thought he couldn't hit. As a young freshman, that will lead to some TOs and poor shot selection, but with a little seasoning and discernment, he can be special. LOVED his play, passion, & heart in this game.

4. The rebounding, especially defensively, is goingvto be our Achilles heel if we don't learn to man-up and box out on every shot. We gave up 23 offensive boards, which is inexcusable. Hopefully experience is the missing ingredient, but man, that was so hard to watch us give them 22 second chance points.

5. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. They kill you, plain and simple. 19 TOs led to 26 points for VCU. In the halfcourt, we made them earn points on first looks, and they made some tough shots. But you can't give up a combined 48 points on second chances and TOs and expect to beat a top 15 team. We have to clean up the ball-handling and silly (sometimes lazy) passes.

6. Jabari McGhee looks to be apparently miles ahead of Owens (which makes sense physically) and Carmichael. Based on preseason reports, I assumed one of the three would likely redshirt, and I had penciled in McGhee for it based on glowing reviews for WC and the defensive presence of Owens. McGhee plays with a ton of passion and heart. He cleans up well around the basket when there is little competition for rebounds, and displayed a nice little baby hook-ish looking shot for his two buckets. Above all, he hustles and shows emotion. Having said that, every single one of his 5 fouls (save for the one he got dunked on) were silly fouls where he didn't have to commit one. One came wjen he had his man (who had just gotten a rebound) pinned on the baseline under his own basket, and he bailed him out with a hip check,and two others came as he rode the hip of a guard on the sideline. Just freshman mistakes, but we need him to stay in the game. His form on his FTs is a little strange too which led to some perfect makes, and some horrible misses. AuntieDee, be proud of his effort last night, and I believe with experience and some work on refining things, he is a solid contributor.

7. Derek Reese disappeared far too often, and will be unfortunately remembered for saving the ball under the opponent's basket twice in one possession. That is inexcusable at the college level. He did grab 6 boards and was efficient on 2-3 shooting, but he passed up at least one open 3, and he needs to take that shot. Not his finest effort, but not the abysmal performance some are calling it either.

8. FTs...we missed enough FTs to lose three games. That was one thing Zo's teams did pretty well, and we just pissed away 16 uncontested set shots from 15 feet. Most frustrating is that our two best shooters (Punter and Mostella) had 5 of those misses. Armani Moore, 2-7 from the line. Inexcusable.

9. Speaking of Moore, a stat line of 8 pts, 7 rebs, 2 steals, 1 asst, 2 TOs seems like a solid night, but I spent a lot of the night wondering if he was even out there. He just seemed quiet aside from his and-1 on the back-cut. 3-9 from the field and 2-7 from the line won't cut it though. We need more from him.

10. I thought we played well in spurts. First 10 minutes of the first half and the majority of the second half, we settled in and forced a good team that like to play fast into a bunch of TOs and we controlled tempo. Unfortunately, VCU was able to flip the script on us just as easily at times. We got a little ahead of ourselves and tried to play one-on-one too often after a TO and score for VCU, and that led to another TO or bad shot on our end, and before you know it, VCU has scored 7-8 straight points in no time. We won't play many teams that play that fast, and that is a tough test right out of the gate. A lot of positives to take away from this game, and a lot of things to work on. Good to see where we match up with one of the better teams in the country, albeit with their 3rd string PG. Hopefully, we can continue to improve on our areas of weakness and we definitely need to stop letting one person beat us. It has happened in both exhibitions and VCU. We have to identify the hot hand and get out on him. Look forward to Thursday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Nice man. I'll add this. IMO a few things need to change.

1. When we go small McGhee needs to be starting. He's going to get pushed around some until he gets stronger, but the kid is pure energy. I like him over Reese. I'm not saying bench Reese for good, but McGhee IMO should be starting when we play small like we did last night.

2. Punter needs to be the PG. Josh did fine there last night, but at times he tried to do way to much. We need his scoring, and asking him to score and play PG is to much.

3. Mostella needs to be starting. I said in the pre-VCU game thread that I thought Mostella was going to be a great scorer. Well, I think I finally may have got something right in my life :)

4. I really like Woodson. He's a monster. He plays hard, and he'll be a very good player for us in time if he keeps his head on straight.

5. Remember the VCU player that hit his head in your thoughts and prayers. That was a traumatic injury to that young man's head. I hope he fully recovers.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree on the VCU player. That was a sickening sight to see him convulsing and then not even be able to fully function his legs to walk off. I can't believe they even considered bringing him back in.

On Mostella, I have been a huge fan of his from the word go. He is so aggressive, and like I said, everything from that standpoint we want to see from Hubbs. That aggressiveness will lead to bad shots and silly TOs on occasion, but he plays with heart and effort.

The Hurt player is from Dickson,TN. Looked bad, I was thinking they should have put him on a stretcher and take him to the hospital. Instead they brought him back out, where he sat with his head in his hands. I really liked the way CDT had them hustling on D. CDT seemed very similar to the beloved BP on the sidelines. The way he put this team together in such a short time and the way the seemed to play over their heads at times (held VCU to 4 pts in the 1st 10 minutes of second half) felt good for the future. I like the look of CDT's first squad and hope they make some on here forget the Barn's coach! GO VOLS!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
the player will be ok. It wasn't seizures, or they would have taken him. He just truly got knocked out cold. That's what happens with the eyes sometimes and the body just freaks out, but I'm 99% sure he didn't start having seizures due to a head injury. OK qb got knocked out last week and had a similar look on his face and was taken off by stretcher. They wouldn't have brought him back out if there were seizure issues or concerns

I am really not sure how good this team can be on D. The refs really had a quick whistle last night. If we have refs who let them play a little more, they will look a lot better.

Rebounding is a concern, but offense looks decent without a true point. This is the best press we will face tho year.

Take away half of the silly turnovers and this was a close game.
2 more games and Tyndall will have his rotation down. Need to get Baulkman healthy.

I liked the passion and excitement last night even when we were down 17-18, guys looked engaged even the bench. I feel like with this D we will always have a punchers chance, it can create turnovers in a hurry. Granted some of that was VCU being PG light, but we'll also play only A handful of teams on their level.

Josh indeed looked uncomfortable, I'd still prefer Punter at PG just so Josh can fully be Josh.

Mostella has crazy potential, the kid can just ball. Like you said, he's going to have games where he drives you crazy. But he has some serious skills, he's going to be a really good player here. I'm excited to see him grow as a player.

Punter looked steady, hoping he can run the point more, and free up Josh.

I agree 100% on Armani.

I think Woodson is going to be really solid when he's in shape, he showed flashes last night. Has a bit of an attitude, which I like in a player.

Jabari is going to be a fan favorite and fast. Pure hustle And energy, reminds of Jerome Williams a lot.

Hubbs...timid lacking confidence, I just don't know about him at this point. He might get his minutes seriously limited when Baulkman gets back.

Overall a fun brand of basketball, sorry for the babbling, just excited basketball is back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I liked the passion and excitement last night even when we were down 17-18, guys looked engaged even the bench. I feel like with this D we will always have a punchers chance, it can create turnovers in a hurry. Granted some of that was VCU being PG light, but we'll also play only A handful of teams on their level.

Josh indeed looked comfortable, I'd still prefer Punter at PG just so Josh can fully be Josh.

Mostella has crazy potential, the kid can just ball. Like you said, he's going to have games where he drives you crazy. But he has some serious skills, he's going to be a really good player here. I'm excited to see him grow as a player.

Punter looked steady, hoping he can run the point soon, and free up Josh.

I agree 100% on Armani.

I think Woodson is going to be really solid when he's in shape, he showed flashes last night. Has a bit of an attitude, which I like in a player.

Jabari is going to be a fan favorite and fast. Pure hustle And energy, reminds of Jerome Williams a lot.

Hubbs...timid lacking confidence, I just don't know about him at this point. He might get his minutes seriously limited when Baulkman gets back.

Overall a fun brand of basketball, sorry for the babbling, just excited basketball is back.

You thought JRich looked comfortable? Or UNcomfortable?

You thought JRich looked comfortable? Or UNcomfortable?

Uncomfortable, my bad. Reminded a lot of Jordy having to play it a couple years back. I don't want my top offensive player out of position. He already has to do to much.

Uncomfortable, my bad. Reminded a lot of Jordy having to play it a couple years back. I don't want my top offensive player out of position. He already has to do to much.

Punter shows promise with 7 assists.
Really hoping Chiles can get it together.

Punter shows promise with 7 assists.
Really hoping Chiles can get it together.

I agree. I'd like to see a starting lineup of Punter, Mostella, Josh, Moore, and Woodson. Punter running PG with Mostella and Josh on the wings, could be a hard guard for teams. You need your 2 best scorers freed up. I'm excited to get Baulkman back too.

I agree. I'd like to see a starting lineup of Punter, Mostella, Josh, Moore, and Woodson. Punter running PG with Mostella and Josh on the wings, could be a hard guard for teams. You need your 2 best scorers freed up. I'm excited to get Baulkman back too.

That's the exact lineup I was calling for, with punter also at PG. Like Lappas kept saying last night, regardless of who you play there they're out of position, so play someone else and let josh be josh.

That's the exact lineup I was calling for, with punter also at PG. Like Lappas kept saying last night, regardless of who you play there they're out of position, so play someone else and let josh be josh.

He was turning it over excessively in practice but handled it well last night.....if he plays like last night, I would rather have him at the point too.

He was turning it over excessively in practice but handled it well last night.....if he plays like last night, I would rather have him at the point too.

Everyone was turning it over in practice, jobe of them looked good which is why Tyndall has said if eligible Bonds will play.

Regardless of Punter's assist line, Punter got clustered way too many times trying to run PG. I'm not sure what you guys saw, but Josh looked the most conifdent and poised bringing the ball up. Sure, I want Josh's SG/SF game but he brings some of that at PG anyway. Punter threw some really pathetic passes and though he only had 2 TOs, he wasn't the one to beat the press. Josh was, imo.

I agree. I get what CDT is probably thinking, let the steady Senior start the offense, but you are handcuffing your best player to a degree. You could almost tell Josh was thinking, attack...wait set up the offense. He's at his best catching it and attacking.

Regardless of Punter's assist line, Punter got clustered way too many times trying to run PG. I'm not sure what you guys saw, but Josh looked the most conifdent and poised bringing the ball up. Sure, I want Josh's SG/SF game but he brings some of that at PG anyway. Punter threw some really pathetic passes and though he only had 2 TOs, he wasn't the one to beat the press. Josh was, imo.

Just because josh beat the press doesn't mean he has to be our PG, Maymon was used to beat the press often, he wasn't our PG.

VCU presses and traps like no other team we will play, therefore I think you'll only see those guys get more comfortable bringing the ball up. I don't care if josh, or Armani, or whoever helps to get the ball across half court, Punter was better at facilitating our offense once into the half court.

I agree. I get what CDT is probably thinking, let the steady Senior start the offense, but you are handcuffing your best player to a degree. You could almost tell Josh was thinking, attack...wait set up the offense. He's at his best catching it and attacking.
They all seemed hesitant to set up the half-court offense, too many times I saw Punter/Mostella/Richardson look like they were about to attack when we had beaten VCU down the court, then turn away from the basket and start our half-court offense.

We won't play anybody that presses like that again. When teams do press, if we go half court offense, get Punter the ball at the top after we beat it and set up the offense. Even if Josh beats the press you can then slide him to the wing, where he is far more valuable. IMO

My key takeaway was that we have a coach that took this team and won the second half. Reminds me of the Tennessee-Alabama football game. Johnson had 20 for VCU in the first half, 3 in the second. The Vols outscored VCU by 3 in the second half. We had 15 turnovers in the first half, 4 in the second.

They all seemed hesitant to set up the half-court offense, too many times I saw Punter/Mostella/Richardson look like they were about to attack when we had beaten VCU down the court, then turn away from the basket and start our half-court offense.

Very true.

Just because josh beat the press doesn't mean he has to be our PG, Maymon was used to beat the press often, he wasn't our PG.

VCU presses and traps like no other team we will play, therefore I think you'll only see those guys get more comfortable bringing the ball up. I don't care if josh, or Armani, or whoever helps to get the ball across half court, Punter was better at facilitating our offense once into the half court.
Maymon was used like Reese is used. You have your big man start somewhere near half court line, then when the ball is in, the big man cuts towards the ball to catch the pass, then if the pass caught ended up breaking the press from the guards, push it up for an easy transition bucket.

Maymon never played Pg. Theres a HUGE difference between breaking the press using a set play or big man to do it and breaking the press because you have good handles and confident.

Josh broke it many times last night by breaking defenders and making the correct outlet pass.

My key takeaway was that we have a coach that took this team and won the second half. Reminds me of the Tennessee-Alabama football game. Johnson had 20 for VCU in the first half, 3 in the second. The Vols outscored VCU by 3 in the second half. We had 15 turnovers in the first half, 4 in the second.

We definitely settled down in the second half. With a team this young, we are going to have lapses in games. I'm cautiously optimistic going forward.

VN Store

Back