player breakdown, zone, etc, bored, jmo

Spartacavolus

Big Member
Just bored now watching Predator 2 for the 47th time and wanted to go over thoughts on the players. Trying to be objective.

Jrich--did his thing. Played hard. Got screwed on a couple calls. Playing out of position. He deserves to and will get to the ft line more as the season goes on. He was shoved basically everytime he got the ball tonight and for him to foul out with 5 fouls is a joke, as many calls were tonight. Credited for 7 turnovers, which should be his high for the year, and iirc, that 5th offensive fould counts as a turnover.

Moore--missed ft's kept him from having a solid game. All over the boards. Would like to see him take his man and dish more. Need more than 1 asst from him. Gotta make shots too though and 3 made shots on his passes makes 4 assists look good.

Reese--not as bad as some were dogging him. 2nd leading rebounder. Those 2 horrible plays under the basket just stick out, and hesitating on an open 3 when we were trying to make a run isn't good. He needs to pull the trigger on that shot, which is why he is out there. We ended up getting a horrible and late shot.

Punter--solid game. 7 assts, 2 to's. Looks like he's going to be fun to watch. That's a tough team to come out and have to shoot against in your first game.

Hubbs--just look at his stat line. I saw too many soft plays, including coming up short on a ball on the sideline while the opponent went after it at 100%. I know he's been hurt, still young etc, but only 1 ft attempt, no rebounds, no assists and 4 shots taken. 2 made were dunks. He just didn't look like he was giving 100%. I don't want to say he has effort issues, but is very hesitant and passive and needs to get to the rim. Pulling for him and expect to see him improve greatly

Mostella--exciting. Not mistake free, but my goodness, he's got some game.

McGhee-great effort. Got frustrated a couple of times and kindof had some body language stuff but played well and hit the boards hard. Also not afraid to go up with it and mix it up. I don't even think the nasty dunk was his fault. Iirc, we had 2 guys close out on the shooter and our 3 other guys boxed out their man, but that left a wing player untouched and McGhee was just caught coming off his boxout.

Willie--man, I heard about how we are going to enjoy watching him play, but he didn't play enough to tell much

Dom--hey, I liked what I saw. I didn't notice lack of effort plays. VCU was quicker off the floor and beat him to some balls, but I think we need to get the ball in his hands more. He made a nice kickout pass to Jrich in the 1st half and had a couple decent moves down low. Yeah, he does appear to play with a little attitude at times on the floor but I'll take that over passive and intimidated.

Zone Press--we caused a lot of problems with it tonight against a very athletic team with a bunch of ballhandlers and a couple future NBA players.

Zone--first half looked rough. VCU also hit some bombs. We played it better in the 2nd half and settled down a little. We only were outrebounded by 7, but gave up 23 offensive rebounds. VCU crashes the boards about as hard as anybody we will play, but as expected, this will be a battle all year, but will also improve, or should at least.

About as expected tonight. They hit 7 more 3 pointers and 7 more fts. We made a lot of mistakes, but showed some things. I'm still not expecting as bad of a year as many here. That was a ballgame with a few minutes to play and we had multiple chances to cut it to 6 or 7 and didn't make a play or had a tough call.
I thought DT could've called a timeout a couple of times and didn't like getting caught repeatedly in the corner against their press, but for the most part, they played well and adjusted. Seems like 15-20 second spurts of bad decision making and passes happened 3-4 times during the game and led to big momentum swings. Again, we won't play anyone that presses like that the rest of the year, unless Arkansas is on the schedule, and they don't do it as well.

On the road to Neyland tomorrow. Go Vals

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
Love our defense and I'm excited to see it progress as the year goes by. It should help with our offense too.

Just bored now watching Predator 2 for the 47th time and wanted to go over thoughts on the players. Trying to be objective.

Jrich--did his thing. Played hard. Got screwed on a couple calls. Playing out of position. He deserves to and will get to the ft line more as the season goes on. He was shoved basically everytime he got the ball tonight and for him to foul out with 5 fouls is a joke, as many calls were tonight. Credited for 7 turnovers, which should be his high for the year, and iirc, that 5th offensive fould counts as a turnover.

Moore--missed ft's kept him from having a solid game. All over the boards. Would like to see him take his man and dish more. Need more than 1 asst from him. Gotta make shots too though and 3 made shots on his passes makes 4 assists look good.

Reese--not as bad as some were dogging him. 2nd leading rebounder. Those 2 horrible plays under the basket just stick out, and hesitating on an open 3 when we were trying to make a run isn't good. He needs to pull the trigger on that shot, which is why he is out there. We ended up getting a horrible and late shot.

Punter--solid game. 7 assts, 2 to's. Looks like he's going to be fun to watch. That's a tough team to come out and have to shoot against in your first game.

Hubbs--just look at his stat line. I saw too many soft plays, including coming up short on a ball on the sideline while the opponent went after it at 100%. I know he's been hurt, still young etc, but only 1 ft attempt, no rebounds, no assists and 4 shots taken. 2 made were dunks. He just didn't look like he was giving 100%. I don't want to say he has effort issues, but is very hesitant and passive and needs to get to the rim. Pulling for him and expect to see him improve greatly

McGhee-great effort. Got frustrated a couple of times and kindof had some body language stuff but played well and hit the boards hard. Also not afraid to go up with it and mix it up. I don't even think the nasty dunk was his fault. Iirc, we had 2 guys close out on the shooter and our 3 other guys boxed out their man, but that left a wing player untouched and McGhee was just caught coming off his boxout.

Willie--man, I heard about how we are going to enjoy watching him play, but he didn't play enough to tell much

Dom--hey, I liked what I saw. I didn't notice lack of effort plays. VCU was quicker off the floor and beat him to some balls, but I think we need to get the ball in his hands more. He made a nice kickout pass to Jrich in the 1st half and had a couple decent moves down low. Yeah, he does appear to play with a little attitude at times on the floor but I'll take that over passive and intimidated.

Zone Press--we caused a lot of problems with it tonight against a very athletic team with a bunch of ballhandlers and a couple future NBA players.

Zone--first half looked rough. VCU also hit some bombs. We played it better in the 2nd half and settled down a little. We only were outrebounded by 7, but gave up 23 offensive rebounds. VCU crashes the boards about as hard as anybody we will play, but as expected, this will be a battle all year, but will also improve, or should at least.

About as expected tonight. They hit 7 more 3 pointers and 7 more fts. We made a lot of mistakes, but showed some things. I'm still not expecting as bad of a year as many here. That was a ballgame with a few minutes to play and we had multiple chances to cut it to 6 or 7 and didn't make a play or had a tough call.
I thought DT could've called a timeout a couple of times and didn't like getting caught repeatedly in the corner against their press, but for the most part, they played well and adjusted. Seems like 15-20 second spurts of bad decision making and passes happened 3-4 times during the game and led to big momentum swings. Again, we won't play anyone that presses like that the rest of the year, unless Arkansas is on the schedule, and they don't do it as well.

Thanks for the summary. On vacation in SC and did not get CBSS over here. Appears it went as expected. Will see how it develops, the second half gave us some hope.

Thanks for reformatting OP lol. Was a little hard on the eyes at first.

Sloppy game from UT at times. Some really bad shots taken, but VCU at the same time was getting some ugly shots to go in from deep. 2nd half was better, and defensively I think UT has a lot of potential. Game was rough because of foul calling, but it showed some good things from the team.

I have more excitement to watch the next game and season than dread. As a matter of fact, I wish we played tomorrow against not quite as good of a team.

One thing's for sure, we won't finish 13th in the SEC there's no way. Also don't forget about Devon Baulkman, he got injured before the second exhibition game but he should help us with the scoring frustration too. Good writeup Sparty

Reactions: 4 people
Good writeup. I saw a lot of good things tonight also. Obviously a lot that needs to get cleaned up, but I saw real flashes of promise on both ends of the floor. The defense should steadily improve as the year goes on and everyone settles in and better learns their roles. I'm excited to see the offense against a team without such a high pressure defense.

Reactions: 1 person
One thing's for sure, we won't finish 13th in the SEC there's no way. Also don't forget about Devon Baulkman, he got injured before the second exhibition game but he should help us with the scoring frustration too.

and I totally forgot about him. That's how new this team is. We went 4-17 from 3 tonight and he will help that part of the game. That's a potentially double digit scorer missing for this team tonight

Make half those free throws and VCU make one less 30 footer in the 1st half and its a different game. I would also love to see Armani, with all those hops, try to yam it rather than float it. That shot gets blocked more times than not, so why not try to throw it down. Jmo

and I totally forgot about him. That's how new this team is. We went 4-17 from 3 tonight and he will help that part of the game. That's a potentially double digit scorer missing for this team tonight
And steals, he's long and quick from what I understand. But for sure, he's another key piece to this team.

Make half those free throws and VCU make one less 30 footer in the 1st half and its a different game. I would also love to see Armani, with all those hops, try to yam it rather than float it. That shot gets blocked more times than not, so why not try to throw it down. Jmo

It was like we were playing against Lofton in the first half. Some of those 3s were ridiculous.

Crazy. Almost wish we wouldn't have even contested. I used to hate that more than a hand in the face.

I remember right after dude hit one of those crazy long contested threes, VCU got a steal and kicked it out to him for a WIDE open look from the wing which he bricked. You may be onto something.

Nice write up Sparty - thank you.

I have more excitement to watch the next game and season than dread. As a matter of fact, I wish we played tomorrow against not quite as good of a team.

Ahree on the excitement. Definitely an entertaining brand of basketball, and if Tyndall and staff can develop these guys talents, they will only improve. Most of our deficiencies were focus-based, and I expect those to improve with experience in this system. We will struggle to beat teams when we shoot that poorly from the field, the 3, and the stripe. You have to win at least one of those, two against good teams. You won't win many games struggling from all three.

I can't wait for sant Clare or whoever they are lol ESPN2!! Then hopefully we get a shot at showing Kansas what we got

VN Store

Back