Question about Tyndall investigation...

ChiroVol

...Maybe I'm missing the obvious but if this Tyndall investigation goes south, how can Tennessee be punished? The allegations occurred at a different school. Seems to me a suspension for Tyndall could happen but restricting our scholarships or recruiting seems COMPLETELY illogical buuuuuuuuut....we are talking about the NCAA here. Any thoughts or actual knowledge on said topic? :wavey:

UT will not be punished, however if CDT is, we will be on yet another coaching search...also, hard to lock down stud recruits while this is going on.

They can be punished by having to fire the coach...that's pretty huge since the season starts tomorrow.

...Maybe I'm missing the obvious but if this Tyndall investigation goes south, how can Tennessee be punished? The allegations occurred at a different school. Seems to me a suspension for Tyndall could happen but restricting our scholarships or recruiting seems COMPLETELY illogical buuuuuuuuut....we are talking about the NCAA here. Any thoughts or actual knowledge on said topic? :wavey:
Yeah, Calipari paid for all of his transgressions at Memphis when he went to Kentucky. The Kentucky program really suffered!

Reactions: 6 people

It really depends on what they find. Worst case scenario is that Tyndall receives a show cause penalty and UT is on the hunt for another coach. Pearl had restricted recruiting at Auburn originally even though Auburn had nothing to do with Pearl's issues.

Also let's say if CDT gets off the hook some how, the NCAA will be watching him like a hawk. He'll have to walk a straight line for a good while.

That's what I was thinking...the whole situation sounds like a bunch of butthurt babies who got mad cause Donnie left and didn't invite them to the party and tattled. ALL programs operate in some sort of gray area but it all comes down to who gets caught and if the NCAA decides, by some magical and illogical standard, to do anything about it.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, Calipari paid for all of his transgressions at Memphis when he went to Kentucky. The Kentucky program really suffered!

We're talking about UK. If UK suffers, the NCAA suffers. All about the money, and we are small fish compared to them.

Also let's say if CDT gets off the hook some how, the NCAA will be watching him like a hawk. He'll have to walk a straight line for a good while.

Yup, no BBQ's for Donnie if he can make it past this. The NCAA really loves to go after guys who seemingly skate on problems. Unless of course that coach has awesome Nike connections and coaches at a premier school. Then they look the other way.

The biggest penalty that UT is having to pay for this is that their name is in the media in connection with an investigation. That is the worst part of it, very difficult to get any decent recruits to look at a school while they are being probed by the NCAA, even if the investigation has nothing to do with the university directly, it puts us in a bad light with prospective recruits and their parents. FWIW.

That's what I was thinking...the whole situation sounds like a bunch of butthurt babies who got mad cause Donnie left and didn't invite them to the party and tattled. ALL programs operate in some sort of gray area but it all comes down to who gets caught and if the NCAA decides, by some magical and illogical standard, to do anything about it.

If you're going to cheat, don't make enemies. Everyone talks about how direct Donnie Tyndall is, and how it might rub some people the wrong way. That might come back to bite him in this case

Disclaimer: I have no idea if he cheated or not.

Really, it maybe nothing that will effect anyone but SMU. So lets wait to figure out what direction we would go, one thing I know is HART will take care of the issue.

And the next failed hire for men's basketball at the University of We Can't Seem to get this Right is???????????

The thought that the ncaa would offer immunity to an Athletic dept and skip over the whole institutional control deal to nail a coach helping a kid nobody wanted makes zero common sense to me and I don't think that's accurate.

Being serious here, but when or where was it stated that they are offering that? Link?

Reed Carringer from RTI said it on the radio yesterday...In print today...

NCAA Investigation Turns to Donnie Tyndall | RTI

We’ve heard from multiple independent sources that the NCAA is offering Southern Miss players, administrators and coaches immunity in exchange for their testimony. In addition, multiple sources have indicated that at least one former Tyndall assistant is believed to be cooperating with the investigation and that another is considering doing the same.

The thought that the ncaa would offer immunity to an Athletic dept and skip over the whole institutional control deal to nail a coach helping a kid nobody wanted makes zero common sense to me and I don't think that's accurate.

Take it up with Reed Carringer and his sources. I'm not the source of the rumor.

Who are these "independent sources"?
No way to know how credible they are unless and until they're identified.

VN Store

Back