Wednesday Basketball Media session 11/12

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Haven't watched these yet, but thought I'd share for those interested.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr5Rlsu0fJM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aaB3htcLJU[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qhK7Nna6qo[/youtube]

I like what I'm hearing. It's the first time I've heard Donnie say we were ready for a game. I know Donnie wouldn't say that unless we were truly ready imo.

I like what I'm hearing. It's the first time I've heard Donnie say we were ready for a game. I know Donnie wouldn't say that unless we were truly ready imo.

I have my orange toilet paper ready we win Friday night and this uk town gonna be all orange

Wow this will be on CBS Network and I don't have it. I hope the game is on the watchespn app.

So if we lose by double digits...
Then what? A score (as you know) doesn't depict what actually happened in the game. If we look very lost and can't find any rhythm at all, then Donnie was full of sh%# and didn't prepare our team well enough. If we go out there, play hard and don't GIVE the game away, I'll be satisfied.

Same with last year's @Xavier game. Our players looked and played unmotivated and looked clustered against Xavier; so regardless of the four point loss, we didn't show much promise to compete night in and night out

Reactions: 1 person
So if we lose by double digits...

You know you used to be alright. But lately it seems you are looking for a fight in every thread. Just let it go.

This team can be ready to play and still lose by double digits to VCU. The thing I want to see is if Tyndall gets the most out of the talent he has. Something Martin struggled with at times.

Reactions: 2 people
You know you used to be alright. But lately it seems you are looking for a fight in every thread. Just let it go.

This team can be ready to play and still lose by double digits to VCU. The thing I want to see is if Tyndall gets the most out of the talent he has. Something Martin struggled with at times.

If we get smoked then we weren't "truly ready", simple as that.

If we get smoked then we weren't "truly ready", simple as that.

Talent and experience plays into that as well. There will be plenty of teams that play UK this year that are "ready" but are still gonna end up getting "smoked". UT might be "ready" for VCU but when the lights come on UT will still have 8 new players, no true PG, and no real depth in the post. UT could play a good game and still get "smoked" with those 3 things working against them.

Either way, I am excited about BB season (as I always am) and can't wait to see how the Tyndall era is going to play out.

I'm never embarrassed by a Tennessee team disappointed hell yeah but not embarrassed jmo

I'm never embarrassed by a Tennessee team disappointed hell yeah but not embarrassed jmo

For it being our first game of the season after having weeks to prepare, the game plan and execution for Xavier were embarrassing given year 3 in the same system with a majority of the team being seniors/returnees.

For it being our first game of the season after having weeks to prepare, the game plan and execution for Xavier were embarrassing given year 3 in the same system with a majority of the team being seniors/returnees.

Yes it was embarrassing but I still wore Tennessee the next day,i will admit I kinda was hoping my friend who came from cinci wasn't at school the next day he's a big Xavier fan

Talent and experience plays into that as well. There will be plenty of teams that play UK this year that are "ready" but are still gonna end up getting "smoked". UT might be "ready" for VCU but when the lights come on UT will still have 8 new players, no true PG, and no real depth in the post. UT could play a good game and still get "smoked" with those 3 things working against them.

Either way, I am excited about BB season (as I always am) and can't wait to see how the Tyndall era is going to play out.

to me I don't think VCU, without their best player, is a team that should smoke us. Jmo

to me I don't think VCU, without their best player, is a team that should smoke us. Jmo

Maybe, maybe not, but a loss, even a bad one, doesn't mean a team wasn't ready. Sometimes the other team is just better. That's what we find out Friday. If UT comes out playing good D, making shots, but turnovers in the backcourt because of not having a true PG against VCU's pressure cause them to lose by 15, that's not a product of being "ready" that's about talent at key positions.

If however they go 1-19 from 3pt land, stand around on offense, and blow assignments on defense and lose by only 5, then I would argue they weren't ready.

Losing to UK in football is the only time I have ever been embarrassed for UT.

Maybe, maybe not, but a loss, even a bad one, doesn't mean a team wasn't ready. Sometimes the other team is just better. That's what we find out Friday. If UT comes out playing good D, making shots, but turnovers in the backcourt because of not having a true PG against VCU's pressure cause them to lose by 15, that's not a product of being "ready" that's about talent at key positions.

If however they go 1-19 from 3pt land, stand around on offense, and blow assignments on defense and lose by only 5, then I would argue they weren't ready.

Agree to disagree then, there's plenty of coaches who have had their undermanned teams ready to play against superior teams and have won or played close games.

Agree to disagree then, there's plenty of coaches who have had their undermanned teams ready to play against superior teams and have won or played close games.

Actually, those rarely happen and that's why we celebrate them as a big deal. Everyone loves an upset but to pretend they are the norm devalues them. For every underdog that goes in and is "ready" and pulls the upset there are many more that are "ready" but just don't have the horses or get the breaks to pull it off. Margin of victory does not equal whether a team was ready to play or not.

Now we can agree to disagree.

Its impossible to tell, too many question marks about Tennessee and it depends if someone can take over Briante Weber's spot as a team leader in steals.

Margin of victory does not equal whether a team was ready to play or not.
Exactly what I said.

This.

But but them running a wr at qb made it 10x worse, for me.

UK game wasn't embarrassing for me because the defense showed up and played. And the offense was just inept coaching trying to play with a still injured, sick, disinterested QB.

The Vandy game the next year, they all just quit.

This.

But but them running a wr at qb made it 10x worse, for me.

That's the main reason they won. We weren't ready for it. They did what UF did to ga this year. If their 1st or 2nd string qb plays, we don't lose. Dooley could've Dooleyd it, but when I saw the wr was going to qb, my stomach dropped. I immediately worried about the game that I wasn't worried about.

VN Store

Back