What's to come (Long)

keckjm

I had a chance to watch the vols play last night, and I thought some good and bad things stuck out. For those who didn't watch the game, cncchris33 broke it down nicely. Here's the link.

I want to add on to his thread with some items I think will be important moving forward.

The Good

1. The press. Our press is pretty dynamic. We will go from a full court press, to a 3/4 court press, etc. We like to change it up, and it's going to wear teams with little depth down come the second half.

2. We have a lot of guys who can play for us this year. For atleast the first half of the season I expect us to consistently play 9-11 guys every game. This should help us stay fresh when we press all game.

3. We are very athletic. Again, this should really help us in the press.

The Bad

1. We have no true PG. A few times during last night's game we became a 1 on 1 team in the half court on offense. We can't win doing that against good teams. The bright spot is, we seam to be a good passing team against the zone. Here's an offense similar to the one I saw us play against the 2-3 zone.

Zone1SC1.png

2. We have no scoring threat down low. It's really that simple.

3. We have no experience.

No PG + No Scoring Post Player + Little Experience = Hard Times To Come

If I Were Coach

Yea, yea, we are all coaches on here, right? However, if I were coach this is what I'd do:

My starting line up would be:

Josh, Mostella, Baulkman (when healthy, otherwise I'd start Hubbs), Moore, Willie

6th man: Punter
7th man: Hubbs
8th man: Owens
9th man: McGhee
10th man: Woodson
11th man: Reese
12th man: Chiles

Punter is a good scorer. He's also our best PG option at the moment IMO. So, why have him come off the bench? We need a leader for the second unit. Someone who can play with the backups and make them all better. We also need a scorer off our bench. Hubbs and Punter should provide a good scoring spark for us off the bench. Plus, Josh, Moore, and Mostella should be able to play PG by comity just fine. Yea, I did just say Moore. He'll have to help out against teams that press us, so will Baulkman and Hubbs.

Also, I feel as the season goes on Woodson's playing time will increase. You can see why Tyndall wants this guy to get in shape and play. He's a monster. He'd be a huge help on the boards and in defending bigger post players.

A few more tidbits of info to pay attention to:

I. Owens may be the first natural shot blocker we have had here in a very, very long time. He's going to be good once he adds some weight and works on his low post game.

II. McGhee and Owens play well together. These two guys may become something special off the bench for us in the coming years. McGhee can rebound pretty well already, and Ownes can block shots. If McGhee can develop a 12-15 foot jumper, and Ownes can bulk up and develop a few solid low post moves, we may have an electric post duo off the bench in a few years. I could easily see down the road a sitaution where Woodson and Willie start and every 4-5 minutes they sub out with McGhee and Ownes. This should help build chemistry between our post players, keep us fresh, and give us another spark off our bench.

III: Mostella looks like a very good scorer in the making. He'll be really fun to watch in a year or two.

IV: We need Tyndall to get cleared from the NCAA so he can recruit for us. I like Tyndall. I think he's what we need as a coach, but we also need a PG/low post scorer. Until the NCAA investigation goes away, it'll be a distraction, along with a recruiting obstacle.

V: A big key to our success will come in our ability to excute in the fast break. We need to obtain as many easy points as we can, and we have the athletes to be very good in break. We should push the ball as much as possible. This will wear teams down even more. It'll help create turnovers in the press late in games due to fatigue. It'll positively correlate with our atheltism and ability to rebound, and biggest of all, it'll mask our two biggest weaknesses, no PG and no low post scorer.

Go Vols:rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Reese isn't as bad as people label him. He's a role player. He can rebound on both ends and gives effort under the goal. He needs to take @ 3-4 three pointers on pick and pop or kickouts in rhythm per game and hit 1 or 2.
I don't know what your expectations are. And DT likes him, so he's not going to be #11 off the bench.

Reactions: 1 person
Could you see Woodson starting as the season progresses, or is he strictly back up this year?

He's really out of shape. I mean the guy plays a good 2 minutes and is gassed. I think he'll start come next year if he puts the work in. This year? IDK. He'd really have to get in shape. It'd be nice if he could start and we move Moore back to SF. The key for us this year will be limiting turnovers and creating easy baskets. We. Should be able to rebound and defend pretty well. Moore, Mostella, Punter, and Hubbs will either make or break us. Josh is going to do his thing, but everyone else has to help him out in all aspects of the game, especially bringing the ball up the floor. I'll say this, I think we should run break as much as possible, and that doesn't bold well for Woodson.

Reese isn't as bad as people label him. He's a role player. He can rebound on both ends and gives effort under the goal. He needs to take @ 3-4 three pointers on pick and pop or kickouts in rhythm per game and hit 1 or 2.
I don't know what your expectations are. And DT likes him, so he's not going to be #11 off the bench.

IMO Mustella, Punter, Hubbs, and Josh are all way better options in terms of shooting. Reese will play. I know he will. I simply was saying if it were me he'd be down near the bottom in terms of minutes. It's also why I said I felt we'd play 9-11 players all year. DT will use his bench.

IMO Mustella, Punter, Hubbs, and Josh are all way better options in terms of shooting. Reese will play. I know he will. I simply was saying if it were me he'd be down near the bottom in terms of minutes. It's also why I said I felt we'd play 9-11 players all year. DT will use his bench.

as a 4 stretching out the defense, he can help us. Mostella's release right now from 3 is worse than Reese's. He needs to pump and attack the rim everytime he gets a chance.

as a 4 stretching out the defense, he can help us. Mostella's release right now from 3 is worse than Reese's. He needs to pump and attack the rim everytime he gets a chance.

He had a sweet drive from the corner in the first half... and then he bricked the layup. He's going to be good in time. I think Punter is our best shooter right now. Josh can shoot it too when open.

I'm almost sure the first game starters will be Woodson, Reese, Richardson, Punter, and Hubbs. I expect we will see Carmichael, McGhee, Mostella, Moore, and maybe Owens who I think should redshirt and work on his weight and strength. I hope we see Chiles get healthy I like how he looked at point guard in limited time last night. Baulkman is injured don't know how much he will play if he can't practice.

on point IV: this is a huge distraction IMO. I'm waiting for the bad news. I'm a vol fan , so I expect bad news unfortunately. Until this is resolved, I have hard time getting excited knowing the program may take another punch to the gut.

on point IV: this is a huge distraction IMO. I'm waiting for the bad news. I'm a vol fan , so I expect bad news unfortunately. Until this is resolved, I have hard time getting excited knowing the program may take another punch to the gut.

And if nothing were to come of it, you will have wasted energy on waiting for bad news, instead of getting behind the team and enjoying games.
I'm the opposite. I'd rather enjoy today and handle down the line when/if it comes.

And if nothing were to come of it, you will have wasted energy on waiting for bad news, instead of getting behind the team and enjoying games.
I'm the opposite. I'd rather enjoy today and handle down the line when/if it comes.

The last few years of UT sports has me expecting the worst. I hope you're right about wasted energy.

E-f'n-xactly. Too many damn gloom and doomers and Debbie Downers on here. How do some of you people get through your everyday lives if you overreact to something like this? Prozac, valium, ganja, alcohol? Good Lord.

I had a chance to watch the vols play last night, and I thought some good and bad things stuck out. For those who didn't watch the game,

My starting line up would be:

Josh, Mostella, Baulkman (when healthy, otherwise I'd start Hubbs), Moore, Willie

6th man: Punter
7th man: Hubbs
8th man: Owens
9th man: McGhee
10th man: Woodson
11th man: Reese
12th man: Chiles

Go Vols:rock:

Not sure if you paid attention while watching the game. When Mostella, Moore, and Richardson were in the game, the other team had absolutely no trouble breaking our press. We might as well went into our zone defense. Hubbs, Punter, and Richardson in the second half were simply nasty. Created turn over after turn over. That is why Hubbs will start. He is big and quick on the front end of the press. He had a couple steals in the first half alone that led to easy baskets. Something this team will have to have in order to win. Hubbs will thrive in this defense.

Reese coming in as the 11th man is something you noticed also from Friday's game...you do know he was the leading scorer and player of the game, don't you?

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure if you paid attention while watching the game. When Mostella, Moore, and Richardson were in the game, the other team had absolutely no trouble breaking our press. We might as well went into our zone defense. Hubbs, Punter, and Richardson in the second half were simply nasty. Created turn over after turn over. That is why Hubbs will start. He is big and quick on the front end of the press. He had a couple steals in the first half alone that led to easy baskets. Something this team will have to have in order to win. Hubbs will thrive in this defense.

Reese coming in as the 11th man is something you noticed also from Friday's game...you do know he was the leading scorer and player of the game, don't you?

He was tied for the lead scorer. Per Tyndall, his rebounding was lacking late in the 1st half. That is the reason he didn't start in the 2nd half.

He was tied for the lead scorer. Per Tyndall, his rebounding was lacking late in the 1st half. That is the reason he didn't start in the 2nd half.

He did play more minutes than anyone else at the 4, so it wasn't like he was benched the second half. He will get more minutes than number #11 in the rotation (at least at the start of the season). Not many on this team that can knock down a 3 consistently. His stroke will at least get him some minutes.

He did play more minutes than anyone else at the 4, so it wasn't like he was benched the second half. He will get more minutes than number #11 in the rotation (at least at the start of the season). Not many on this team that can knock down a 3 consistently. His stroke will at least get him some minutes.

I am not disputing any of the things you mentioned. I never said he was benched. I just merely made an observation that was stated by the coach himself.

I am not disputing any of the things you mentioned. I never said he was benched. I just merely made an observation that was stated by the coach himself.

Maybe there were a few rebounds that he thought Reese should have gotten, but Reese has always been active around the basket. He tied for the most rebounds in the first exhibition game.

Thats something I thought I would never read on Volnation. Reese looked very good when had time to set up his shot, it looked rythmetic. Reese's skillset as an four is definitely unique and can be be undervalued if you don't watch him closely.

Whats to come........ A new system and a new Head Basketball Coach for Tennessee for the 2015-2016 season.

VN Store

Back