Lenoir-Rhyne Postgame Report

cncchris33

This will be abbreviated because I had to listen to the game vs watching it. Those who watched, feel free to add/amend anything that I may have lost by not being able to watch.

1. Derek Reese. I'm going to eat some crow here, and admit that he may be a bigger part of the gameplan this season than I originally anticipated. Bad preseason reports led me to believe he may be lost in the shuffle, but he is far too often around the ball and may prove to be one of our more versatile players. Need to see it consistently, but two games/two starts, and he's played well. Is that a credit to him, or an indictment of the rest of the team? Time will tell.

2. Hubbs seems more aggressive. 8 pts, 7 rebs, 3 stls, 1 asst, 1 TO in 20 minutes. He needs some more confidence, but he as definitely looked more aggressive.

3. Woodson sounds great in spurts, and he seems to be playing defense well in the press.

4. Mostella is exciting. He needs to learn control and needs to learn the defense and play better on that end, but man he's exciting.

5. McGhee is a hustler. Offense needs refining, 4 pts, 5 rebs, 3 stls, & a block are a nice start. He energized the team it seemed like in the 2nd half.

6. I love the continuation of balanced scoring. 14, 14, 12, 10, 8, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3. As of now, JRich isn't having to shoulder a big load there, but we'll see when the competition gets tougher if that continues.

7. We need better production (efficiency) from the post. Not going to count Reese because he is more of a hybrid. Woodson, Carmichael, McGhee and Owens were a combined 5-15 from the field. That wont cut it. 15 pts and 15 rebs from the four combined. If they are all going to play significant minutes, that needs to be 25 & 15 for us to be a threat inside. They all play hard, which is good, but the offense needs some refining and/or focus. Maybe a bit of nerves early on too.

8. When was the last time we saw a Tennessee team have 18 steals, regardless of opponent. Very refreshing to see an aggressive defense that forces TOs instead of waiting on them to happen.

9. Polar opposiste halves, and it was nice to see them come out strong after an abysmal opening 10 minutes. If we aren't making shots, we'll have some long nights ahead of us. Defense kept us in this one, and put them away in the 2nd half.

10. Glad to get back to some basketball on the court after the past few days of misery off of it.

Reactions: 6 people
I stopped after point number one. Chris let me ask you, did you ever read any preseason reports on Reese or just the comments BTO stated?

Reactions: 3 people
Hubbs is great on the front end of the press. Him, Richardson, and Punter will turn the other teams over many times this year. They work well together. There is a huge drop off when Moore and Mostella come into the game. The other team tonight broke the press with ease when they entered the game.

Richardson had a wrist brace on his right hand after the game.

Reactions: 1 person
I stopped after point number one. Chris let me ask you, did you ever read any preseason reports on Reese or just the comments BTO stated?

Please don't hijack this thread and make it a bickering match between yourself and BTO.

Reactions: 11 people

At this point, I can't remember the source of the alleged reports. It was mildly debated here over the summer/fall. Regardless, I was personally skeptical of how Reese fit into the new system because I see him as a tweener with no clearly defined position. In addition, he wasn't a "Tyndall guy", which seems to work against marginally talented players in a coaching change far too often.

Having said that, did I not admit that I may have been hasty in thinking that? Did I not give him credit for playing well? You clearly have a pro-Reese agenda, and credit to you for sticking with him, but...

Last edited:
Reese is a role player and can play his role by hitting the boards and knocking down a couple of shots. He need not try anymore bounce passes as his passing needs work and to be simple.
Regarding rebounds, we go after them hard, but run into each other often or rush the shot back up. That'll improve as they play get used to each other.

Saw the whole 1st game and the last couple of minutes of the 1st half and the whole 2nd half of this game. What I remember thinking while watching was I wish the NCAA thing hadn't happened or will blow over because this team seems tough and well coached. Sure they are young and will lose some games but they hustle, the press and zone look good for how little they've played, substitutions made sense, and some adjustments seemed to be made mid game. I hope to see good coaching through whatever growing pains that happen (and they will) to see a team by late December or early January can be decently competitive. The 2 exhibition games were lesser teams and no conclusions should be drawn from them but bottom line I enjoyed watching this team more than the UT teams of the last few years and it makes me wish Donnie T would somehow work out ( and not embarrass us).

Last edited:
Rebounding will be an issue for several reasons. Rebounding out of a zone is more difficult to begin with because you aren't guarding a particular man, and so box-out assignments aren't clearly defined defensively. In addition to that, we lack the size/girth inside we had last year with Stokes and Maymon as well as their natural knack and ability for gobbling up rebounds.

In two exhibition games, we are +12.5/game in total rebounding and +3.5/game on the offensive glass, so it's not a huge concern yet for me. We had 20 second chance points last night, which was an improvement from 6 vs UPIKE. Of course, the number of missed shots last night helped that cause. The number of TOs we force, and points off TOs will help to balance out our rebounding deficiency.

I remember that this team beat Tusculum twice last season by seven and three. Our sweet sixteen team beat Tusculum by 37 so a 28 point win is a good effort by our present team against them. The first half was awful and I'm sure we'll play more halves like that. I think I counted ten missed layups in that first half. The second was about playing the Tyndall system and 12 steals and forcing 22 turnovers will keep you in any game with any team.

I remember that this team beat Tusculum twice last season by seven and three. Our sweet sixteen team beat Tusculum by 37 so a 28 point win is a good effort by our present team against them. The first half was awful and I'm sure we'll play more halves like that. I think I counted ten missed layups in that first half. The second was about playing the Tyndall system and 12 steals and forcing 22 turnovers will keep you in any game with any team.

I agree. Clean up the misses in the paint, and our defense in the 2nd half will keep us in games and marginalize (to an extent) any rebounding deficiency.

VN Store

Back