Recruiting Attack

SeniorDrill

This is my opinion of this entire out of the blue unfolding scenario. Some person or persons with an agenda has been able to directly attack Donnie Tyndall's first basketball recruiting class and the University of Tennessee with unsubstantiated allegations and both universities and Coach Tyndall have been put in a position where they cannot comment on the situation for months. The timing is incredible. What has really struck me is the viciousness of the attack! There are reporters out there who are saying the immediate solution is for Tennessee to fire Coach Tyndall before it gets any worse based on nothing but allegations. They have immediately tied the decision of Chris Clarke to move closer to home so his family can watch him play as a result of the "breaking news". This, even though, his decision was announced one hour after the "story" broke. Virginia Tech was in the final list he had. He lives in Virginia and his dad said they had been discussing it as a family ever since he committed.
Let me ask you to use a little common sense here. Coach T has stated numerous times that his goal was to win a national championship here at Tennessee. He has worked his way into his "destination job" in a program where he has the resources to do just that. Evidently, that has alarmed some unknown entity, and with the big money involved, it has been decided to put a stop to it. In the Morehead State incident these were his comments. "I certainly learned from it. I did. It was a growing experience. My athletic director and president and I worked hand in hand with the NCAA. I'm one of those guys that I don't shy away from responsibility. I learned from it, I grew from it and I certainly never expect to go through it again." Donnie Tyndall is a smart man and a basketball genius. I ask you, does it even make any sense that he would jeopardize his career goal in life with another violation of coaching ethics, even in the ludicrous Prop 48 guidelines?
I honestly believe that, seeing the return of Tennessee greatness on the football field, some enemy of the Vols is trying to stop the same thing from happening in basketball. The University of Tennessee needs to make sure that does not happen. It really reminds me of political attacks that have no basis in reality but get the job done. I think we need to give the head coach of the University of Tennessee the benefit of the doubt and not let him be convicted before even having a trial. In the meantime, our recruiting suffers and the attack has been successful even if nothing comes of it, which I believe is what will happen. I believe in Coach T and what he is trying to build in our basketball program, brick by brick!
It is very interesting that his other two recruits are sticking by him and after the initial flood of stories nothing new has been added in the past 24-48 hours. VolNation should do the same!

Reactions: 13 people
http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1146276/ncaa-self-report-on-morehead-state-violations-in.pdf

From the fall of 2006 through April 2009, the head men's basketball coach, ("the head coach"); an assistant men's basketball coach ("former assistant coach 1");
and other members of the men's basketball staff had knowledge of and at times directed or encouraged the impermissible recruiting activities of a representative of the institution's athletics interests ("the representative"). The representative was involved in the recruitment of numerous men's basketball prospective student-athletes, arranged workouts, assisted in the arrangement of official and unofficial visits, and offered improper recruiting inducements to prospective student-athletes. As a result, the representative became a countable coach by participating in recruiting activities resulting in the men's basketball program exceeding its countable coach limit by one.

From Coach Tyndall's Introductory Press Conference:

Tyndall Press Conference Transcript - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

(On NCAA issue with probation at Morehead State)

"It was isolated to one booster situation. It involved a gentleman who meant no harm or ill will but because he was a graduate of Morehead State University and was contacting some players without our knowledge he became quote unquote and extra coach. My staff had a relationship with this guy it wasn't ever proven and it wasn't the case that we ever asked him to do these things he was just a guy who loved basketball and wanted to help get these people into school. It was a learning experience. My athletic director and I worked hand in hand with the NCAA, it went to committee infractions, we lost scholarships for a year, I'm one of those guys that doesn't shy away from responsibility I learned from it and certainly don't ever expect it to happen again."

From the Infractions Report (first link)

During the three academic years that the representative was involved in recruiting efforts for the men's basketball program, the head coach and the representative had 87 telephone calls and text messages in which information was exchanged, most of which included information regarding prospective student-athletes. Additionally, the two exchanged over 200 e-mails, some in which the representative provided details of his evaluations and contacts with prospective student-athletes. The head coach reported that he understood that NCAA legislation prohibits any involvement of a representative of the institution's athletics interests with the recruitment of prospective student-athletes; yet, for three academic years, the head coach stated that he never recognized that the representative's activities were contrary to NCAA legislation.

Reactions: 3 people
I try and give the benefit of the doubt before passing judgment! However if we wanted an NCAA violator sorry but I prefer pearl 100 percent of the time. I am fed up with the misadventures of this AD.

Reactions: 7 people
UTAD got duped. It's become standard operating procedure up there. The common denominator in these decisions is Jimmy Cheek.

Reactions: 8 people
Regarding the summary of the situation at Morehead, do you not think he learned his lesson just like he said he did? I mean this stuff was routine at the time. It was even in one article stated that currently many schools tell these Prop 48 athletes to max out theirstudent loans and let a booster pay them 5 or 10 years down the road. This is a setup by a reporter who for three months investigated on his own and then reported it to the NCAA trying to further his career. Regarding Morehead, this was also in the infractions report. The report said Tyndall "mistakenly thought that as long as the representative interacted with prospects and Morehead State's coaching staff as a talent evaluator, then his activities and his interaction with the coaching staff were permissible" and "never recognized" that the booster's activity "were contrary to NCAA legislation." The case ended in a summary disposition, which meant Morehead State didn't have to go before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions for a formal hearing.

Regarding the summary of the situation at Morehead, do you not think he learned his lesson just like he said he did? I mean this stuff was routine at the time. It was even in one article stated that currently many schools tell these Prop 48 athletes to max out theirstudent loans and let a booster pay them 5 or 10 years down the road. This is a setup by a reporter who for three months investigated on his own and then reported it to the NCAA trying to further his career. Regarding Morehead, this was also in the infractions report. The report said Tyndall "mistakenly thought that as long as the representative interacted with prospects and Morehead State's coaching staff as a talent evaluator, then his activities and his interaction with the coaching staff were permissible" and "never recognized" that the booster's activity "were contrary to NCAA legislation." The case ended in a summary disposition, which meant Morehead State didn't have to go before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions for a formal hearing.

I'm making no comment other than he misrepresented himself.

In addition I've spent about 5 hours going over the roster at USM...it's not exactly Watergate.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm making no comment other than he misrepresented himself.

In addition I've spent about 5 hours going over the roster at USM...it's not exactly Watergate.

5 hours? I think you need a girlfriend.......or just a friend period.

SD, I believe you are mostly correct on your post, but to say Clarke leaving has nothing to do with this investigation is ridiculous. You believe Clarke's father is telling the truth. What do you expect him to say?

Reactions: 4 people
FREE DONNIE! FREE DONNIE! FREE DONNIE!

:machgun::gun::machgun::gun::machgun::gun:

GO VOLS!

SD, I believe you are mostly correct on your post, but to say Clarke leaving has nothing to do with this investigation is ridiculous. You believe Clarke's father is telling the truth. What do you expect him to say?
I keep saying timing. He de-commited one hour after the story broke. He didn't even have time to discuss that with his parents. The decision was already made.

College basketball might be the dirtiest sport around. Controlled by just a hand full. The Dukes, Kentuckies, North Carolinas, Kansas and a few others.

The whole Pearl thing almost seems like a set up from the get go by Ohio State. That story broke essentially after UT beat Oh State in the tourny. What about the timing of that?

Plus you had people out to get Pearl for all the past stuff he was involved in. Coaching is a fraternity and many hated Pearl for years after what he did way back in the day.

I wouldn't put it past any of those big schools just rolling it out there like throwing a dog bone. I'm not really a conspiracy theorist type. But college basketball is like the mafia

Reactions: 2 people
College basketball might be the dirtiest sport around. Controlled by just a hand full. The Dukes, Kentuckies, North Carolinas, Kansas and a few others.

The whole Pearl thing almost seems like a set up from the get go by Ohio State. That story broke essentially after UT beat Oh State in the tourny. What about the timing of that?

Plus you had people out to get Pearl for all the past stuff he was involved in. Coaching is a fraternity and many hated Pearl for years after what he did way back in the day.

I wouldn't put it past any of those big schools just rolling it out there like throwing a dog bone. I'm not really a conspiracy theorist type. But college basketball is like the mafia

Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.
Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentavirate?
Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"
Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?
Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!

Reactions: 1 person
This is my opinion of this entire out of the blue unfolding scenario. Some person or persons with an agenda has been able to directly attack Donnie Tyndall's first basketball recruiting class and the University of Tennessee with unsubstantiated allegations and both universities and Coach Tyndall have been put in a position where they cannot comment on the situation for months. The timing is incredible. What has really struck me is the viciousness of the attack! There are reporters out there who are saying the immediate solution is for Tennessee to fire Coach Tyndall before it gets any worse based on nothing but allegations. They have immediately tied the decision of Chris Clarke to move closer to home so his family can watch him play as a result of the "breaking news". This, even though, his decision was announced one hour after the "story" broke. Virginia Tech was in the final list he had. He lives in Virginia and his dad said they had been discussing it as a family ever since he committed.
Let me ask you to use a little common sense here. Coach T has stated numerous times that his goal was to win a national championship here at Tennessee. He has worked his way into his "destination job" in a program where he has the resources to do just that. Evidently, that has alarmed some unknown entity, and with the big money involved, it has been decided to put a stop to it. In the Morehead State incident these were his comments. "I certainly learned from it. I did. It was a growing experience. My athletic director and president and I worked hand in hand with the NCAA. I'm one of those guys that I don't shy away from responsibility. I learned from it, I grew from it and I certainly never expect to go through it again." Donnie Tyndall is a smart man and a basketball genius. I ask you, does it even make any sense that he would jeopardize his career goal in life with another violation of coaching ethics, even in the ludicrous Prop 48 guidelines?
I honestly believe that, seeing the return of Tennessee greatness on the football field, some enemy of the Vols is trying to stop the same thing from happening in basketball. The University of Tennessee needs to make sure that does not happen. It really reminds me of political attacks that have no basis in reality but get the job done. I think we need to give the head coach of the University of Tennessee the benefit of the doubt and not let him be convicted before even having a trial. In the meantime, our recruiting suffers and the attack has been successful even if nothing comes of it, which I believe is what will happen. I believe in Coach T and what he is trying to build in our basketball program, brick by brick!
It is very interesting that his other two recruits are sticking by him and after the initial flood of stories nothing new has been added in the past 24-48 hours. VolNation should do the same!

images
IMO

Money is changing hands in this one! Could it be a Kentucky booster? Tennessee used to be a pain in their behind in the day!

I keep saying timing. He de-commited one hour after the story broke. He didn't even have time to discuss that with his parents. The decision was already made.

Coach T had already advised him that there was a story about to break. Things like that go on behind the scenes all the time. He was trying to prepare Clarke for the news in advance. Clarke just used the time to commit to VaTech. I am already feed up with this new coach. UT deserves better than this for a coach.

Reactions: 2 people

We will know the answer one day. If the students in question loans have been repaid then Tyndall is in trouble whether he was involved or not. If it was a booster and not the parents. If they still owe the loans this is going no where and it will become evident that someone out there is trying to kill Tyndall's recruiting. There were some rumors that he was making some inroads in Memphis and a lot of his success was not being made public. It was all going to happen on signing day.
Let's hope nothing comes of this except what it was intended to do slow down Tyndall's recruiting.

Money is changing hands in this one! Could it be a Kentucky booster? Tennessee used to be a pain in their behind in the day!

SD I do not know what you are taking or drinking this morning, but I feel real safe in saying that KY with all their Natty's in Bball do not feel treatened in the least by UT mens bball program right now. They have an NBA feeder program going up there right now. They do not have a booster stupid enough to risk what they have going over an unproven coach. Wake up and smell the coffee, T is more than likely dirty. "LEOPARDS DON'T CHANGE THEIR SPOTS"

VN Store

Back