Statement from UT Athletics Department

SeniorDrill

UT statement. "We are aware of the situation at Southern Miss and will not comment further until there is a resolution. We have an extensive vetting process with all potential coaching candidates, including very specific conversations with the NCAA and school officials at Southern Miss regarding compliance during Coach Tyndall's tenure there, during which no issues were brought to our attention."

Reactions: 1 person
UT statement. "We are aware of the situation at Southern Miss and will not comment further until there is a resolution. We have an extensive vetting process with all potential coaching candidates, including very specific conversations with the NCAA and school officials at Southern Miss regarding compliance during Coach Tyndall's tenure there, during which no issues were brought to our attention."

Does UT have a legal department that checks this stuff out prior to the hirings? I still think Pearl would have been here had we had one. Well I mean, one that was worth a crap.

Last edited:
Does UT have a legal department that checks this stuff out prior to the hirings? I still think Pearl would have been here had we had one. Well I mean, one that was worth a dam.

If you read the University's statement, it will answer your question. In a nut shell Tennessee was aware of the issues, asked the appropriate questions of the NCAA, vetted the circumstances, came to a conclusion that Tyndall was fine and made the hire. Sounds like they did what they should have done. Based on the information provided by Southern Miss and the NCAA. If UT was lied to or mislead, then they won't and can't be held responsible....

Or, that there was absolutely nothing suspected when Tennessee hired him or the process leading up to it. Either way, the Vols are in the clear.

The AA is so mad at Miss St and Ole Miss they are taking it out on little ole southern miss

Last edited:
It appears that this "breaking story" has been published to make money by the ones who "broke it". For all we know it is being way over blown due to little facts being known. Actually no facts being known.

This is pathetic, simply pathetic, embarrassing & I hate to say it well deserved. Our athletic director, the boosters, & the petition fans ran off Cuonzo, some of our players, & all of Zo's recruits & that is after that awesome tournament run to the SWEET 16 & a questionable call away from the next round. There are 3 people laughing right now that is Hamilton (former AD) Cuonzo, & Bruce the Auburn Tiger Pearl!

Reactions: 5 people
This is pathetic, simply pathetic, embarrassing & I hate to say it well deserved. Our athletic director, the boosters, & the petition fans ran off Cuonzo, some of our players, & all of Zo's recruits & that is after that awesome tournament run to the SWEET 16 & a questionable call away from the next round. There are 3 people laughing right now that is Hamilton (former AD) Cuonzo, & Bruce the Auburn Tiger Pearl!

Go away.

Reactions: 34 people

I seriously doubt they are laughing. Both Zo and Pearl wouldn't be where they are if it weren't for UT. I just wonder when universities are going to realize it's the NCAA that needs them, not the other way around. I just worry since it is a school like S. Miss instead of a KY, Kansas, or Louisville that they might make an example out of S. Miss and it trickle down to Tyndall.

The NCAA should be investigated. There should be no reason for them to wait over a year to come to start questioning a school. If Tn asked the NCAA these questions, then the NCAA should have no right to now say something a year later!!! That would be like setting a school up when you hire him or any coach in similar position to be punished!!!

Reactions: 4 people
The NCAA should be investigated. There should be no reason for them to wait over a year to come to start questioning a school. If Tn asked the NCAA these questions, then the NCAA should have no right to now say something a year later!!! That would be like setting a school up when you hire him or any coach in similar position to be punished!!!

Agree. Remember when Tyrelle Pryor's tattoo issues were magically resolved within 36 hours before a big bowl game?

Look at Penn St I cannot think of worse violations, but the NCAA is caving beccause of the PSU administration. Look at Miami and the booster paying for player girlfriend abortions and and kind of financial benefits, not much in the way of sanctions that I can see. Look at FSU four years ago or over 70 athletes caught cheating on an online test where is the sanctions? tOSU got away with huge violations, what did they get Urban as coach and a great recruiting class. Couch gets kicked the team Gurly get a suspension. It is the Adminstrations job to fight for the university not for the 'AA

Reactions: 2 people
To me the statement means at the time of the hiring process, the NCAA had no knowledge of questionable benefits for the Prop48 kids and SMiss was honest because nothing was wrong or didn't know anything was wrong. I am a wait and see guy but sometimes with allegations of wrong doing your reputation is tarnished immediately. Lets all hope everything checks out as on the level and we bounce back with solid spring recruiting because it wouldn't suprise me if one of the other commits decided to not sign during the early period. What I never understood about coaches who cheat (not saying Tyndall did) is that you are handing over a large amount of leverage to a 18-22 yrd old. If that player doesn't pan out and you wash your hands of him, he still has a show cause stack worth of evidence to bury you someday.

Reactions: 4 people
I seriously doubt they are laughing. Both Zo and Pearl wouldn't be where they are if it weren't for UT. I just wonder when universities are going to realize it's the NCAA that needs them, not the other way around. I just worry since it is a school like S. Miss instead of a KY, Kansas, or Louisville that they might make an example out of S. Miss and it trickle down to Tyndall.

What scares me a little bit is Tyndall recruited a lot of players very fast.

Look at Penn St I cannot think of worse violations, but the NCAA is caving beccause of the PSU administration. Look at Miami and the booster paying for player girlfriend abortions and and kind of financial benefits, not much in the way of sanctions that I can see. Look at FSU four years ago or over 70 athletes caught cheating on an online test where is the sanctions? tOSU got away with huge violations, what did they get Urban as coach and a great recruiting class. Couch gets kicked the team Gurly get a suspension. It is the Adminstrations job to fight for the university not for the 'AA

I agree, Auburn showed what you can do when you hire a lawyer to fight the NCAA.

UT did not run off Zo. He choose to go to Cal after stating he was happy at TN, went on a recruiting trip out west on UT's dime, interviewed for the Cal job, was hired . That was very unethical on Zo's part.

Reactions: 13 people
This is code for again in our search for a coach we did not do our due diligence. Personally wouldn't it be nice for people to be held accountable.

Didn't that start after we hired Zo?

Excatly. If people want to b@@@@ about Zo leaving then you must be content with being a tournament team every 4 years. Pearl proved we can be a contender in basketball year in and year out. Shame on our fan base and boosters for running a coach off that couldn't hold Pearl's jockstrap.

Reactions: 5 people
I would derive from that statement , that if anything does happen to UT because of this , it was and is a setup. During the Vetting process with the NCAA, any information regarding this should have come out. If it did not UT should be in the clear , other than, baggage Tyndall will carry and a tarnished reputation. Tough break all around here, but this tells me also that the NCAA is not doing their due diligence. They should really stop embarrassing themselves. They are developing a really bad track record for dropping the ball on issues.

I would derive from that statement , that if anything does happen to UT because of this , it was and is a setup. During the Vetting process with the NCAA, any information regarding this should have come out. If it did not UT should be in the clear , other than, baggage Tyndall will carry and a tarnished reputation. Tough break all around here, but this tells me also that the NCAA is not doing their due diligence. They should really stop embarrassing themselves. They are developing a really bad track record for dropping the ball on issues.

The NCAA is corrupt and it's time for them to go away. UT needs to grow a pair like other schools have done and tell the NCAA to pound sand.

Reactions: 3 people
This is code for again in our search for a coach we did not do our due diligence. Personally wouldn't it be nice for people to be held accountable.

I do not agree with this. There is only so far into the bag you could vet a person and their background. NCAA should have dirt on their hands here too. Don't let them off the hook so easy.

Also this Clarke kid flipped faster than a Wendy's Hamburger. He in my opinion is dripping wet with "academically Ineligible". He knows something, I would at least make it a point to stop by his place on the investigation tour.

VN Store

Back