UPike Postgame Report

cncchris33

1. A definite work in progress. You see the potential in a lot of players and in the system. There is going to be an adjustment period for 4 returning players in a new system, 8 newcomers, and new offensive AND defensive systems.

2. JRich looks good at PG in game 1. Punter looked predictably uncomfortable at times. Mostella was as well.

3. Balanced scoring across the board and everyone who played scored. 17, 15, 11, 8 , 7, 6, 6, 4, 2, 2, 2. They shared the ball and dished out 17 assists on 31 made baskets. Good to see from a group of relative strangers.

4. We shot well. 61% from the field, 36% from 3 on only 14 shots, 68% from the line.

5. Defense is a work in progress obviously. Still, the second half was MUCH better and we held them to 35% shooting. We only forced 11 TOs and got beat back on defense a few times. The press and zone didn't force a lot of TOs, but it did force several low-percentage shots and a couole shot clock violations. Again, this will take time for all the guys.

6. We will struggle with bigger teams on the boards, but we dominated tonight 40-24. Only 9 offensive rebounds and we gave up 9 to UPike. It will be a struggle to get used to the factv that we may be outrebounded many times after the past several years of Stokes amd Maymon dominating.

7. Player of the game: Armani Moore. 17 pts, 7 rebs, 2 assts on 8-10 shooting. We are a different team with him and JRich in the game.

8. Mostella could be an X-factor. He needs to play under control and REALLY needs to work on knowing his assignment defensively, but he is instant offense and a really exciting player and shooter.

9. The posts were underwhelming yet adequate. Woodson with 6 & 5. The freshmen posts combined for 8 & 7 on 4-6 shooting. They need to contribute more, and will with time. I expected them to have their way with an undersized UPike team, but they looked like freshmen. Nothing alarming though.

10. This team will be very frustrating to watch at times. They need a lot of practice and experience that will only be gained by playing games. They will take some time to come together. The system can work, but it takes practice and there is no substitute for experience, something we are very short on. If patience isn't your thing, you may want to sit this one out until late December-mid January.

Reactions: 12 people
Nice little recap. Can you elaborate on how Woodson fit into the game. He doesn't seem to be built for this type of style of play.

Reactions: 1 person
Nice little recap. Can you elaborate on how Woodson fit into the game. He doesn't seem to be built for this type of style of play.

Right now, he is good in short spurts. That's about it. He didn't seem to play for long stretches and I imagine that is based on his conditioning.

How did Hubbs look? Rusty?

I'm afraid he is going to need to play to his potential if we want to compete this year.

We looked very inexperienced and looked confused at times, for anyone wondering.

Hubbs looks improved/confident. He loves to push it up in transition. Dribbles like Scotty Hopspn

Reese looks a bit different offensively, gave a good bit of hustle. Showed new moves I've never seen. (I watch Reese very closely). One of our better rebounders still.

McGhee had a lot of hustle plays that won't show up in the stats. Got caught up offensively, will have to work on the speed of D1.

JRich can run any position 1-4 pretty effectively, and is still a defensive presence (blocking steals, etc)

Armani Moore has expanded his offensive game, he seems like a new player when he's asked to score more. RIM FINDER

Devon Baulkman is an offensive monster, we didn't see it as much this game but we saw what he's capable of.

Willie Carmichael is a SOLID defender and rebounder but still needs to work on footwork and position when he's on the offensive side. Needs to do more offensively

Only saw limited Dominic Woodson action.

Mostella can hit the 3, but still likes to force shots/possessions. Can't wait to see his full potential. If he can learn Pg this dude will be amAzing.

Tarik Owens is a SHOT BLOCKER. He is ball magnet!

Ian Chiles didn't play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
If somebody can format easily, go for it!
TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
23 Reese,Derek......... f 3-4 0-1 0-1 1 6 7 2 6 2 1 0 1 19
55 Woodson, Dominic.... f 3-4 0-0 0-0 2 3 5 1 6 0 0 0 0 12
00 Punter,Kevin........ g 2-5 1-2 2-3 1 1 2 1 7 0 2 0 1 24
01 Richardson,Josh..... g 4-7 1-3 6-6 0 3 3 4 15 5 3 2 0 31
03 Hubbs III,Robert.... g 3-5 0-0 2-2 0 4 4 1 8 4 2 0 1 24
04 Moore,Armani........ 8-10 1-2 0-3 3 4 7 1 17 2 2 1 0 23
11 Owens,Tariq......... 1-2 0-0 0-0 1 0 1 0 2 0 2 1 0 8
15 Mostella,Detrick.... 4-8 2-5 1-2 0 1 1 2 11 1 2 0 0 18
21 McGhee,Jabari....... 2-2 0-0 0-0 0 2 2 2 4 0 0 0 0 11
24 Carmichael,Willie... 1-2 0-0 0-0 0 4 4 2 2 0 1 1 0 15
34 Baulkman,Devon...... 0-2 0-1 2-2 1 2 3 2 2 3 2 0 0 15
TEAM................ 1 1 1
Totals.............. 31-51 5-14 13-19 9 31 40 18 80 17 18 5 3 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 18-30 60.0% 2nd Half: 13-21 61.9% Game: 60.8% DEADB
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 4-7 57.1% 2nd Half: 1-7 14.3% Game: 35.7% REBS
F Throw % 1st Half: 2-3 66.7% 2nd Half: 11-16 68.8% Game: 68.4% 2

I expected more from Hubbs offensively as well as Punter. I undestand Punter is playing out of his.natural position. Coach said Hubbs earned the right to start. For those who saw the game whats your take on Hubbs and Punter in this game.

I expected more from Hubbs offensively as well as Punter. I undestand Punter is playing out of his.natural position. Coach said Hubbs earned the right to start. For those who saw the game whats your take on Hubbs and Punter in this game.
Watch the post game interview. I believe neither got into a rhythm during the game, even Tyndall said other than Moore and Richardson no one really got into a rhythm. Baulkman was super nervous and I'm sure others were too.

Tyndall flat out said he played more guys than he wanted, and some guys less minutes than he wanted which kept them from finding a rhythm. I expect you'll see a very trimmed rotation come VCU.

Hubbs looked better attacking the rim. He is still soft though.

The post appears to be in really good hands for the future, Woodson looked like he had a ton of potential. We will be a different team if he gets it together and gets in shape. Owens Affected quite a few shots in a short amount of minutes. McGhee and Carmichael had their moments.

Mostella will play a lot of minutes. He's going to be electric at times this season.

JRich and Armani looked great, especially Armani.

Their are a lot of guys vying for minutes, and most of them don't seem to have separated themselves. You can count on seeing a lot of JRich, Armani, and Punter.

I want to see a leader. Today I saw balance which isn't bad but I want a leader. Hopefully Jrich is that guy

I didn't see Hubbs looking "soft" and not sure at all where that came from. He seemed to look to attack whenever the defense was vulnerable to it.

Reactions: 2 people
JRich was in people's faces all night. I could hear him 20 rows up. He's the leader of this team, and our success is going to hinge largely on him. His ball handling and playmaking looked greatly improved. Armani played well, but I doubt a lot of his points under the basket will go in against quality big men. Mostella is going to be good. Baulkman and Punter both looked extremely nervous/out of sync. Woodson had flashes then disappeared. Didn't see enough of Carmichael or McGhee. Owens affected a lot of shots. Major potential there. I thought Hubbs looked a lot better. Went to the rim multiple times. Reese was productive while in, honestly looked like the best post, not counting Armani.

JRich was in people's faces all night. I could hear him 20 rows up. He's the leader of this team, and our success is going to hinge largely on him. His ball handling and playmaking looked greatly improved. Armani played well, but I doubt a lot of his points under the basket will go in against quality big men. Mostella is going to be good. Baulkman and Punter both looked extremely nervous/out of sync. Woodson had flashes then disappeared. Didn't see enough of Carmichael or McGhee. Owens affected a lot of shots. Major potential there. I thought Hubbs looked a lot better. Went to the rim multiple times. Reese was productive while in, honestly looked like the best post, not counting Armani.

I heard J rich yelling at people through the computer not sure what that guy was saying but Jrich is definitely the leader of this team. He was in people's faces all night

Nice recap and I was listening to the game on the Sports Animal and at one point I thought I heard Kesling say that Mostella might be redshirted this year...... It sounded like Hubbs and the entire team were making some nice dishes and what was the attendance for the game?

If that was Moore with a back strain, going to be nasty when he gets healthy.

Hubbs was fairly aggressive. More than the small sample we saw last year. Punter started out that way, and then sort of blended in as the game went on. He seemed to be feeling his way around the PG position, understandably so. Hubbs took high-percentage shots and 4 rebs, 4 assts, and a steal vs only 1 TO along with 8 points on 3-5 shooting. A pretty efficient night all things considered. I would take that as an average from him all season, even ifI woukd like to see him look for his shot more. Punter looked like a SG playing PG, and had 2 rebs, 0 assts, and a steal to 2 TOs. We looked more comfortable with JRich running point, but in a small sample, Punter wasn't an abject failure at PG. You can just tell he needs experience playing there.

Nice recap and I was listening to the game on the Sports Animal and at one point I thought I heard Kesling say that Mostella might be redshirted this year...... It sounded like Hubbs and the entire team were making some nice dishes and what was the attendance for the game?

I see no scenario where Mostella redshirts unless they feel he can't hack it in the zone defense yet. He was lost a lot last night. Offensively though, he is ready to play and contribute right now. 11 points in 18 minutes is pretty impressive. A very pretty shot and even his misses looked good. I'll be surprised if he redshirted, but there is going to be a cut in the rotation somewhere. I imagine it comes from the post honestly, and one of the FR post players becomes a RS candidate, but we will see. Didn't really get a great look at them in extended minutes last night to get a good grasp on who is ahead of who.

VN Store

Back