Tyndall on Woodson: "He will not push himself through fatigue"

kamoshika

Memphis transfer Dominic Woodson, listed by the Vols at an official weight of 280, is down “21, 22 pounds” according to Tyndall. But the big man — by far the Vols’ biggest — has bigger problems on the floor.

“He’s lost a bunch of weight, so I’m proud of what he’s done,” Tyndall said. “ ... But the biggest thing, maybe it’s even more mental than it is physical, he will not push himself through fatigue.”

...“He was pretty good in stretches and spurts in our scrimmage, did some nice things,” Tyndall said. “But as soon as he gets tired he just literally will not push himself to move. It’s a late-rotation bang three, missed block out, tip-in and he gives up 4, 5, 6 points before you can call timeout to get him out of the game.

“So these aren’t things we talk about endlessly to Dom. He understands it. He gets it. Now he’s got to get it to the floor.”

Tyndall calls Vols

I would not accept that kind of attitude. You're on scholarship. We are paying your tuition, room and board, plus a meal plan. Get out there and give your ALL for Tennessee

Losing 20lbs is tough. The fact he is working hard to get his weight down, is coachable, and the fact that he agrees with coach on what he needs to improve on gives me a lot of hope for his future as a Vol! Keep up the good work Woodson cause we need you in the post!

Reactions: 5 people
I am impressed Tyndall is calling out this kid, he knows he can and will be good, now is the time to step up young man an earn your keep,..imo

We would've had McKnight if not for the misfeasance of Mike (his retirement can't come soon enough) Slive.

How pleasant to get straight talk instead of coach speak. Speaking of "gets it"; now we as fans get it and we know that our coaches get it. So our expectations are rational and we can sit back and watch them develop Dom into a force over time since they truly "get it".

Thank you CDT. Please have a discussion with CBJ. Maybe he can learn from you. The programs are in exactly the same spot - inexperienced players at this level except for a handful; trying to come together as a team and learn a new system; play a tough schedule with a couple of national powers in the SEC in UK and UF; strong senior leadership with Richardson and AJJ; etc.

How pleasant to get straight talk instead of coach speak. Speaking of "gets it"; now we as fans get it and we know that our coaches get it. So our expectations are rational and we can sit back and watch them develop Dom into a force over time since they truly "get it".

Thank you CDT. Please have a discussion with CBJ. Maybe he can learn from you. The programs are in exactly the same spot - inexperienced players at this level except for a handful; trying to come together as a team and learn a new system; play a tough schedule with a couple of national powers in the SEC in UK and UF; strong senior leadership with Richardson and AJJ; etc.

What is he Butch gonna learn from CDT? I'm confused.

Very gutsy of the first year coach to call a player out like that though

In his presser a week or so ago he stated he is a straight shooter. He also stated along the lines of, I'm not these players friends on the basketball court, and I'm not worried about hurting their feelings. Tyndall seams to be a no BS type coach. Very black and white with no grey. The more I hear him speak, the more I love that he's our coach. He's excatly what we need as a basketball coach.

Reactions: 1 person

Thanks for the laugh.

In his presser a week or so ago he stated he is a straight shooter. He also stated along the lines of, I'm not these players friends on the basketball court, and I'm not worried about hurting their feelings. Tyndall seams to be a no BS type coach. Very black and white with no grey. The more I hear him speak, the more I love that he's our coach. He's excatly what we need as a basketball coach.

From a fan's perspective I understand how you enjoy the lack of coach speak, but I don't understand how that will result in better players. To me, ripping a player to the media can rarely be a positive. If I were a recruit, I'd think twice about playing for a coach who was going to throw me under the bus to the media.

If I'm doing something wrong at work I certainly want my boss communicating to me the desired improvement. I don't however want him telling everyone else in the office and especially would be offended if he talked about it to the media and would be looking for another job if it happened.

Maybe coach is trying to lower fan's expectations for the first year. Also, he has identified a major flaw in Woodson, and maybe "putting it out there" will make Woodson try harder to push through. He has probably already figured out that this will motivate this player.

From a fan's perspective I understand how you enjoy the lack of coach speak, but I don't understand how that will result in better players. To me, ripping a player to the media can rarely be a positive. If I were a recruit, I'd think twice about playing for a coach who was going to throw me under the bus to the media.

If I'm doing something wrong at work I certainly want my boss communicating to me the desired improvement. I don't however want him telling everyone else in the office and especially would be offended if he talked about it to the media and would be looking for another job if it happened.
Interesting that Dooley was criticized for ripping his team and throwing them under the bus.
Now it's praise worthy.

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting that Dooley was criticized for ripping his team and throwing them under the bus.
Now it's praise worthy.

Lots of "interesting" things being said nowadays. My favorite is "Tyndall will salvage a good season with this squad" then someone else says "I don't know, it's hard to imagine us finishing in the top half of the SEC" then the first poster says "he hasn't even coached a game yet! You have no idea what will happen!" Lol

"Interesting" is overused nowadays...trying to maintain consciousness. :sleep:

Now it's praise worthy.
Completely different, Dooley would blame his players post-game and throw out names - this is being 100% honest to the media. It definitely stalls some fans expectations.

Reactions: 1 person
Lots of "interesting" things being said nowadays. My favorite is "Tyndall will salvage a good season with this squad" then someone else says "I don't know, it's hard to imagine us finishing in the top half of the SEC" then the first poster says "he hasn't even coached a game yet! You have no idea what will happen!" Lol

That happens with every coach.....coach comes in and every word he says is considered great and we are so glad that he is our coach....By yr 2 or 3 we are ready to run him out of town if he is not winning enough for our liking whether it's realistic expectations or not.

We wouldn't have Woodson if we got McKnight. I'd rather have Woodson for 3 years than McKnight for 1. Turned out good for UT.

I could be wrong but I think we have another scholarship open so we could have had both.

VN Store

Back