ESPN Hoops Preview - Vols to finish last in SEC

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
2014-15 College Basketball Preview - SEC - ESPN

14. Tennessee Volunteers

Coach Donnie Tyndall had to revamp the entire roster, and it wasn't pretty after he inherited a program that lost more than 2,000 points and 1,150 rebounds from a year ago. Jordan McRae, Jarnell Stokes, Jeronne Maymon and Antonio Barton accounted for 71 percent of the Vols' scoring last season.

There are eight newcomers compared to just four returnees. Josh Richardson averaged 10.3 points and Robert Hubbs III is a big-time recruit from the Cuonzo Martin era, but missed much of last season due to shoulder surgery. The new players include three signees from the previous staff, two players who initially signed with Tyndall at Southern Miss, a former Ohio University signee and a couple of transfers: Scoring guard Ian Chiles of IUPUI and ex-Memphis big man Dominic Woodson. It's not going to be pretty this season in Knoxville.

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't realize they had visited to see practice.

Doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to point out our obvious weaknesses. Anything can happen, but you can't honestly expect even a top-7 SEC finish at this point. Again, we may end up being better than expected, but finishing in the top-10 would be overachieving based on what we know now.

A last place finish is possible. Best case scenario is the Vols manage 8th or 9th.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are going to have a hard time scoring

A last place finish is possible. Best case scenario is the Vols manage 8th or 9th.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are going to have a hard time scoring

Defending the post will be a challenge too. Luckily, Donnie probably knows what he's getting into, and I'm sure he'll devise a plan to play to our strengths. Hopefully.

It's possible. I think we end up around or just above .500. Definitely in the lower part of the SEC, but not dead last.

rodney_dangerfield_ci3vm.jpg

Doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to point out our obvious weaknesses. Anything can happen, but you can't honestly expect even a top-7 SEC finish at this point. Again, we may end up being better than expected, but finishing in the top-10 would be overachieving based on what we know now.

I expect to see a team that outworks and outenergys opponents and finishes middle of the pack.
I also think the press and zone win us some games that we wouldn't win if we sat back and played half court man to man, and that nobody in the media or espn considers any of those factors.

Talent wise this is a horrible team so I don't expect much. That being said Tyndall is just another example of bargain basement coach hiring by this university. They should have never fired the Pearl and for damn sure they should have rehired him when the chance was there.

Reactions: 2 people
damn it, I was hoping that basketball would bring sunshine to my rainy day.

Looks like my sports depression will continue into next year. GO GOLF!

I expect to see a team that outworks and outenergys opponents and finishes middle of the pack.
I also think the press and zone win us some games that we wouldn't win if we sat back and played half court man to man, and that nobody in the media or espn considers any of those factors.

Middle of the pack would be a success in respect to reasonable expectations vs. actual results. I personally think our offensive and defensive post presence are our biggest weaknesses (I could be wrong), so Woodson would be the game changer IMO. In any case, I hope all these premonitions of Tyndall being a guru are true. JMO, it would be a tall task for any NCAA coach to get this particular team to the tourney, and that's not a knock on Tyndall or any of the team.

But as I always say, let's see what happens.

Wow what a bunch of negative Nancy's...smh the season hasn't even started yet and you guys are already writing it off. Since the media is always right with their predictions...sound like a bunch of a woman raggin'.

Wow what a bunch of negative Nancy's...smh the season hasn't even started yet and you guys are already writing it off. Since the media is always right with their predictions...

The vast majority of posters have shrugged all the criticism off bro.

The vast majority of posters have shrugged all the criticism off bro.

True, it was only like 2. But still, everyone should be pumped up about the season getting ready to start. There is plenty of time to b**** and moan once we actually see what we got lol.

VN Store

Back