Top 10 court designs in college basketball

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
6. Thompson-Boling Arena, Tennessee

Tennessee's color scheme is gorgeous, sure, but the best thing about this court is the checkered baselines -- an instantly recognizable homage to the football team's defining end zone design.

thompson-boling2.jpg

Top 10 court designs in college basketball - ESPN

Reactions: 1 person
As a former High school basketball coach, Vandy's set up is dreadful. I had 2 schools in our district that were set up the same way. Elevated court, coach's box on the baseline, fans right on top of you. It was terrible and hard to see. They should be forced to change it IMO.

I don't see Memphis highs court on there...must have to actually own it to be on this list.

Vandy at 7? That gym is horrid. It's like being in a dungeon.

As a former High school basketball coach, Vandy's set up is dreadful. I had 2 schools in our district that were set up the same way. Elevated court, coach's box on the baseline, fans right on top of you. It was terrible and hard to see. They should be forced to change it IMO.

Then you are in agreement with the author of the article if you took the time to read it.

Say what you want about Memorial Gymnasium: The whole setup, from the raised floor to the baseline benches, is pretty strange. But Vanderbilt's current court design stands out for its four-cornered star motif and understated contrast between the lane and the rest of 3-point semicircle.

ncb_g_vanderbilt_ms_576x324.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Then you are in agreement with the author of the article if you took the time to read it.

ncb_g_vanderbilt_ms_576x324.jpg

It doesn't matter what he said, he was ranking the floor not the entire stadium, but the floor itself is horrid too. So, with that said, I'm not in agreement with the author. Worst place ever to watch a game.

Last edited:
Would love to see TBA have less lighting around the seating area so more focus is on the court during the games. I remember watching Louisville games back during the Denny Crum/Freedom Hall days and it just always gave a better appearance with the focus was on the players and the game.

Would love to see TBA have less lighting around the seating area so more focus is on the court during the games. I remember watching Louisville games back during the Denny Crum/Freedom Hall days and it just always gave a better appearance with the focus was on the players and the game.

Oh yeah. I love arenas like that. Definitely improves the atmosphere IMO

Vandy at 7? That gym is horrid. It's like being in a dungeon.

I agree. Its as bad as the Blue field at Boise State.

I avoid watching games at either one.

It should give a HUGE home court advantage.

I think that allowing a different set up like that is STUPID.

Maybe we should make the coaches and players at TBA sit back on the 3rd row instead of at side court like normal. Or maybe put them in opposite corners. Heck, that would be better than under the basket.

VN Store

Back