Video and notes from 10-6 practice!

Thank you for posting this video. This looks like a team that will win games based on fundamentals. The coach appears to be having this team go through a lot of repetition which will breed confidence. I am very excited to see how we stack up against the SEC.

those are some nice drills and you can see how much he wants to use the pick and roll and attack the rim off the dribble.

I don't get the drill with the big men touching the ground with the ball, unless it's just a core drill to make them bend over, turn then dunk just to build flexibility or something.
I know they aren't teaching them to take the ball down low, Kenny hall style, as you can see another drill in the background working on keeping it up.

Thank you for posting this video. This looks like a team that will win games based on fundamentals. The coach appears to be having this team go through a lot of repetition which will breed confidence. I am very excited to see how we stack up against the SEC.

Repetition is normally what you do the first week of practice. A lot of drills and running. Then the next week installing the offense and adding tweaks here and there. I'm excited to see how this team gels and responds to CDT

those are some nice drills and you can see how much he wants to use the pick and roll and attack the rim off the dribble.

I don't get the drill with the big men touching the ground with the ball, unless it's just a core drill to make them bend over, turn then dunk just to build flexibility or something.
I know they aren't teaching them to take the ball down low, Kenny hall style, as you can see another drill in the background working on keeping it up.

I think that big man drill does focus on core and also being able to go down and handle a low pass if necessary.

Touching the ball on the floor is part of the "big man" goal of playing low and finishing high. Typically you want the entry pass to be low to a big man who has set a low, wide base. It is just a way to start the drill from a low position.

That missed layup!!!! That should result in pushups!!!

Reactions: 1 person

Loose ball, one step, explode for the dunk.....maybe.

Touching the ball on the floor is part of the "big man" goal of playing low and finishing high. Typically you want the entry pass to be low to a big man who has set a low, wide base. It is just a way to start the drill from a low position.

That missed layup!!!! That should result in pushups!!!

not a good spot to try a quick flip Ice Gervin fingerroll when your hand is 2 inches from the board.
Good point on the pass, unless you have an angle or a defender on a hip. Gotta get the hand up and out and hit it and lead him into his move.

I'll be at practice tomorrow so I'll post a practice thread of my thoughts when I get back if anyone cares for my opinion. :)

Reactions: 6 people
I'll be at practice tomorrow so I'll post a practice thread of my thoughts when I get back if anyone cares for my opinion. :)

Nah your like count isn't high enough for our standards. Lol :)

Btw the drill is a agility drill for bigs also focuses on improving the drop step

One thing I absolutely love is Owens' length. He's definitely a lightweight, but he has a unique skill set and length that over time could be developed into a great mismatch. I am lookin forward to his and our other post players' development.

Reactions: 2 people
One thing I absolutely love is Owens' length. He's definitely a lightweight, but he has a unique skill set and length that over time could be developed into a great mismatch. I am lookin forward to his and our other post players' development.

The crazy thing is he actually has an alright jumpshot. I'm not saying he will be nailing 3's but he can shoot a 15 footer.

He reminds me of a Dorrell or Brandan Wright type of player. Kind of the same frame and skillset.

They asked us not to post anything related specifically to what happened in practice anywhere. So I'll just say a few non specific things:

1) Tyndall brings intensity. All of the assistants bring intensity. He is hard nosed. Praises good play but really really lets you hear it on your bad plays.

2) We will never play man. Press falling back into the match-up zone.

3) On that note, our zone is really complicated. The rotations are difficult to pick-up because everything is situation specific. The guys seem to be doing an okay job of learning it. It seems likely to me that many guys will not play because they cannot execute the defense correctly.

4) Huge emphasis on rebounding and boxing out. We aren't really doing it at the moment.

I won't say much else but if you see me being adamant about certain things in other threads you'll know it's based on something that I saw.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back