Q&A with Dominic Woodson via Ben Fredrickson

Found this part interesting...

Q: Why come to Tennessee?

A: I had some other options, but Tennessee, I knew Donnie Tyndall was a good coach. He had Kenneth Faried. He was going to push me to my limits. I wanted to be under a coach like that, who can push me and get me better every single day. If I'm not pushed then I'm not getting the best out of myself.

It's like some have been saying, Woodson seems like a guy who needs the constant motivation or he's gonna fall back into his old ways. If you can keep him motivated he's gonna be a heck of a player, his previous coach couldn't so he smartly chose someone who he thinks will.

Q: What was Tyndall's pitch during your recruitment?

A: If you want to be under somebody who wants to push you, then come here. If not, don't come.

And this is why you'll see Tyndall, IMO, struggle at least a little with having highly rated guys lining up. He's gonna be honest and he's not the type to sugar coat things just because you're a highly rated recruit. While Team A or Team B may be telling a recruit how he will have it made, Tyndall is telling these guys how they're gonna work harder than they ever have and that doesn't appeal to every player.

If a recruit doesn't want to work do we really want them though?

It's not a matter of a guy not willing to work at all, you're gonna work at whatever school you go to, it's the fact of not sugar coating anything at all or maybe telling a few white lies and making some promises you plan on breaking that other schools may do that Tyndall won't.

Nothing wrong with that, gotta get YOUR guys, but I'm just saying that's why you'll see smaller lists of interested top 100 guys IMO if that makes sense, doesn't mean he can't or won't land solid classes.

It's not a matter of a guy not willing to work at all, you're gonna work at whatever school you go to, it's the fact of not sugar coating anything at all or maybe telling a few white lies and making some promises you plan on breaking that other schools may do that Tyndall won't.

Nothing wrong with that, gotta get YOUR guys, but I'm just saying that's why you'll see smaller lists of interested top 100 guys IMO if that makes sense, doesn't mean he can't or won't land solid classes.

You are making a big assumption off of a small quote.....obviously there is more convo than that.....I know that he does tell guys how hard he is going to push them which will turn some guys off.

I don't think it's that, it's just a lot of coaches promise playing time without mentioning the hard work that comes with it, Donnie Tyndall is up front about the work that comes into starting on a D1 Team, imo.

A: I had some other options, but Tennessee, I knew Donnie Tyndall was a good coach. He had Kenneth Faried. He was going to push me to my limits. I wanted to be under a coach like that, who can push me and get me better every single day. If I'm not pushed then I'm not getting the best out of myself.

It's like some have been saying, Woodson seems like a guy who needs the constant motivation or he's gonna fall back into his old ways. If you can keep him motivated he's gonna be a heck of a player, his previous coach couldn't so he smartly chose someone who he thinks will.

A: If you want to be under somebody who wants to push you, then come here. If not, don't come.

And this is why you'll see Tyndall, IMO, struggle at least a little with having highly rated guys lining up. He's gonna be honest and he's not the type to sugar coat things just because you're a highly rated recruit. While Team A or Team B may be telling a recruit how he will have it made, Tyndall is telling these guys how they're gonna work harder than they ever have and that doesn't appeal to every player.

I'll take my chances on some 4 or 5 star kid with an attitude. In the end, talent usually wins out.

Sugar coating to get a kid here is pointless. CDT shouldn't have to make false promises to get a kid here. I want a kid to know that just because he is talented or has 4 or 5 stars by their name doesn't mean they are going to get special treatment. But you'll be surprised more kids would rather play for a coach that is going to push them, rather than a coach that let's them do whatever. If they don't like being pushed then you'll have a Swiperboy/ Kenny Hall on your hands.

You are making a big assumption off of a small quote.....obviously there is more convo than that.....I know that he does tell guys how hard he is going to push them which will turn some guys off.

I'm basing it off much more than just that quote lol

I don't think it's that, it's just a lot of coaches promise playing time without mentioning the hard work that comes with it, Donnie Tyndall is up front about the work that comes into starting on a D1 Team, imo.

Better said than what I said

What are u basing it off of

This past recruiting cycle and reasons given why we weren't able to land a few guys we attempted to. Add in then the 2015 class and the amount of top 100s we targeted and got cut from their list, along with a few who were made top priorities.

I'm one of those who have been saying that, and I'll add that Pastner doesn't seem to command the type of respect that allows him to be the kind of coach who pushes players to their limits. Maybe it's his age, personality, or both.

I'm one of those who have been saying that, and I'll add that Pastner doesn't seem to command the type of respect that allows him to be the kind of coach who pushes players to their limits. Maybe it's his age, personality, or both.

Thought of you when I read it, agree completely.

And he pretty much said that he wasn't pushed at Memphis...

Q: Has your weight always been an issue?

A: I started gaining weight my senior year of high school. At Memphis, I didn't drop as much as I did while I've been here. I've only been here what, five weeks now? I've already dropped more than I ever did in a whole year at Memphis. It's going good for me right now.

This past recruiting cycle and reasons given why we weren't able to land a few guys we attempted to. Add in then the 2015 class and the amount of top 100s we targeted and got cut from their list, along with a few who were made top priorities.

Ok fair enough.....we definitely haven't recruited strong enough but hopefully Clark will be the start of something.

Thought of you when I read it, agree completely.

And he pretty much said that he wasn't pushed at Memphis...

Q: Has your weight always been an issue?

A: I started gaining weight my senior year of high school. At Memphis, I didn't drop as much as I did while I've been here. I've only been here what, five weeks now? I've already dropped more than I ever did in a whole year at Memphis. It's going good for me right now.

Makes you feel good that he's going to push his players to be the best they can be.

Ok fair enough.....we definitely haven't recruited strong enough but hopefully Clark will be the start of something.

Oh I agree, and like I said, it doesn't mean he can't recruit or won't land solid classes. I just think you'll see FEWER top 100-150 guys legitimately interested than some other schools, that's all.

Am I the only one impressed with his recruiting? he's brought in 2 Top 100 guys who will make an impact on this team in jus 4 months.

Am I the only one impressed with his recruiting? he's brought in 2 Top 100 guys who will make an impact on this team in jus 4 months.

Both of them were special circumstances.....Mostella is talented but no one thought he would get into school so it definitely eliminated most of the competition.....Dom was a head case that couldn't hack it at another school. It sounds like he is turning it around and is very talented. CDT did a great job building this roster but neither guy is a sign of future recruiting IMO.

I've been telling you guys this since day 1 and am fired back at as it being idiotic and wrongfully labeling recruits lazy

VN Store

Back