'15 MD PG Kamua Stokes

iKrager

Kamau Stokes (Baltimore, Md./Dunbar)
2014, G, 5-11, 160
Offers from Delaware, Towson and Mount St. Mary’s
An undersized scoring guard who is gradually transitioning into more of a true point guard, Stokes has a versatile, attacking game. He gets some extra length out of his long arms and has a flair for the dramatic off the dribble, where he is shifty and a little tricky changing speeds. He needs to continue to add weight and get stronger, but he can also knock down open shots or get above the rim.

Was originally committed to Toledo in the class of 2014, but decided to decommit and attend Fork Union Preparatory.

Kamau Stokes - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Kamau Stokes - Yahoo! Sports

According to VerbalCommits.com Stokes had interest from several solid mid-majors, icnluding Richmond and Florida Gulf Coast, and had offers from Delaware and Mount. St. Mary's among others.

The guy is a competitor, top notch. Led his high school team (Dunbar High) to an undefeated season and a championship. He's 5'11 and pretty athletic despite the smaller frame. Imo looks much better than Jerron Martin (another 2015 pg we're recruiting).

High school highlights "hoopsmixtape"
2014 5'11 Kamau Stokes Mixtape. Hoopmixtape Showcase - YouTube

AND another video

Competing against high level of competition at the Under Armour Summer Circuit.
Kamau Stokes - Dynamic Point Guard 2015 Under Armour Summer Circuit - YouTube

Last edited:
We are reaching at this point. With Miller still available, something must have gone terribly wrong. We may need to just take our time to evaluate players and wait for the Spring. There should be plenty of late bloomers at both the HS and JUCO ranks as well as defections with the coaching carousel.

Then maybe link a different video lol, I will admit, he has a very impressive interest/offer list.
What do you think of his actual game? Without looking at offers/stars. You used to be someone who judged prospects by how they looked when Cuonzo was here, not how many stars they had.

What do you think of his actual game? Without looking at offers/stars. You used to be someone who judged prospects by how they looked when Cuonzo was here, not how many stars they had.

Seems like a pretty good ball handler, and also pretty quick, but I worry a lot about his size. (Weight not height)

Being 155lbs in the SEC will get you pushed around quite a bit, he is in prep school though this season so he may be able to put on some weight before arriving at a college.

I don't think he's horrible, probably a similar talent level to Washpun or Landry, a guy who's likely not a SEC level PG for at best a couple years. If we had a freshman or sophomore stud PG on the roster it wouldn't be a huge issue, but if Stokes is your guy that means we head into next season with a walkon Bonds and this guys as our only point guards, that's not very promising IMO.

The mosf frustrating part, at least to me, is that we have so much playing time to offer, just doesn't make much sense. Add in that you can sell a point guard to playing alongside Hubbs and Mostella in the future and landing a highly rated PG doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.

The even more frustrating part, at least to me, is if this guy is a take NOW. You're gonna fill up your 3 open spots with Phillips, Schofield and Stokes who are all projects, and guys that most "experts" view as low high major talents at best. These are the guys you would prefer if they must be takes, are takes in the spring and not the fall. You're gonna tie up the PG spot now hypothetically with a scholarship going to Bonds, and a scholarship to Stokes, that's 2 guys who quite frankly don't appear to be SEC caliber and yet you're gonna have 2 of them at the same position.

Jmo, flame away

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty good ball handler, and also pretty quick, but I worry a lot about his size. (Weight not height)

Being 155lbs in the SEC will get you pushed around quite a bit, he is in prep school though this season so he may be able to put on some weight before arriving at a college.

I don't think he's horrible, probably a similar talent level to Washpun or Landry, a guy who's likely not a SEC level PG for at best a couple years. If we had a freshman or sophomore stud PG on the roster it wouldn't be a huge issue, but if Stokes is your guy that means we head into next season with a walkon Bonds and this guys as our only point guards, that's not very promising IMO.

The mosf frustrating part, at least to me, is that we have so much playing time to offer, just doesn't make much sense. Add in that you can sell a point guard to playing alongside Hubbs and Mostella in the future and landing a highly rated PG doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.

The even more frustrating part, at least to me, is if this guy is a take NOW. You're gonna fill up your 3 open spots with Phillips, Schofield and Stokes who are all projects, and guys that most "experts" view as low high major talents at best. These are the guys you would prefer if they must be takes, are takes in the spring and not the fall. You're gonna tie up the PG spot now hypothetically with a scholarship going to Bonds, and a scholarship to Stokes, that's 2 guys who quite frankly don't appear to be SEC caliber and yet you're gonna have 2 of them at the same position.

Jmo, flame away

Fair assessment IMO.

Jmo, flame away

You said he's similar to Washpun? That's all I need to know

Point guard is the one position I would like to see us land a top 100 guy in this class

Guys this is basketball recruiting. I don't care who commits where and who signs where in November. It all changes in April when all these coaches get fired or hired by other programs and all of these recruits ask out of their agreements. I am not worried about UT getting a PG when there will be numerous options from JUCOS, Top 100 players who have signed and in April want to play elsewhere, Prep school kids who blossom and come on, and of course numerous transfers who bolt when the coaches bolt or get fired. And less we forget this season hasn't even begun and many under the radar prospects will flourish into 5-Star status and will be available!!!

Guys this is basketball recruiting. I don't care who commits where and who signs where in November. It all changes in April when all these coaches get fired or hired by other programs and all of these recruits ask out of their agreements. I am not worried about UT getting a PG when there will be numerous options from JUCOS, Top 100 players who have signed and in April want to play elsewhere, Prep school kids who blossom and come on, and of course numerous transfers who bolt when the coaches bolt or get fired. And less we forget this season hasn't even begun and many under the radar prospects will flourish into 5-Star status and will be available!!!

You just provided a bunch of reasons why taking this guy now would not be a great idea. He would almost certainly sign in November leaving us 1 less scholarship come spring when much better options could become available.

VN Store

Back