Basketball Elite Camp - August 31st

CAVol

Announced in the War Room today that Tyndall will be hosting an Elite Camp on the 31st.

This is huge mostly because of this:

Five-star 2016 big man Abdulhakim Ado, who just burst onto the scene in July, is expected to make an unofficial visit that weekend. Ado, who attends Hamilton Heights Christian in Chattanooga, is a massive priority for the Vols in next year's class and getting him on campus for the first time is a very big development. Louisville, Kansas and Vandy are among the programs that have already offered and virtually everyone in the country is now trying to get involved.

Ado, along with Braxton Blackwell, Ado is an undisputed top priority in next year's class and gives the Vols two in-state targets that could be huge difference makers.

-VQ

Visitors:
Class of 2015:

Shembari Phillips #231
Dequon Miller #8 JUCO
Admiral Schofield NR
Jo Jo Anderson #185

Class of 2016:

Josh Langford #17
Braxton Blackwell #30
Kwe Parker #44
Ty Graves #176
Clayton Hughes #149
Sedee Keita #39
Abdulhakim Ado #28

Update : 8/29
All told the Vols could have as many as 80-85 prospects on campus, though many of those will be on the younger end of the scale in the 2017 and even 2018 classes.

Of more immediate interest are expected unofficial visitors/campers from the 2015 class like Shimbari Phillips, Nick Rogers, junior-college point guard Dequon Miller, Shawntrez Davis

Among the many notable prospects we expect in town from the 2016 class are four-star big man Sedee Keita, the No. 46 overall player in the nation in that class. Guard ; from Wilmington, Ohio, Atlanta forward Romello White, point guard Lamonte Turner, rated No. 70 in the 2016 class, point guard Kwe Parker from Fayetteville, N.C., guard Clayton Hughes from Jackson, Tenn.,

While he won't be participating in camp, we expect Chattanooga big man Abdulhakim Ado, the No. 17 rated player in the nation in 2016, is expected to be in town for his first trip to Knoxville and the staff will be hoping it's the first of many. Ado, who just came out of nowhere this summer to explode on the scene, is a huge priority for the staff in 2016 and is getting recruited accordingly.

We're also hearing that 2016 Alabama guard Josh Langford will likely be in town. The No. 21 rated player in that class, getting Langford's early interest is a very strong positive for Tyndall and this staff.

We've heard that 2016 in-state standout Braxton Blackwell is a possible visitor this weekend but have not gotten confirmation on that one as of yet.

-VQ

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I have a feeling Miller will commit that weekend. Hopefully he and Ado get along well and he talks us up to him on their visit.

As Rob mentioned, nice set up for 2016 class. With it likely being a 3-4 man class, knowing 2 of your top targets this far out and both being instate is very beneficial.

Ado is going to be a tough pull. I like our chances with Blackwell quite a bit better. Did Ado actually grow up in Tennessee or is he new to the area?

Ado is going to be a tough pull. I like our chances with Blackwell bit better. Did Ado actually grow up in Tennessee or is he new to the area?

I want to say tha Ado is another African transplant. Seems like I read that. Not sure if Chattanooga has been his residence the entire time since he moved to the states, but if so, the comfort level with this area can't hurt our chances I wouldn't think.

Thanks. I remember it being viewed as positive for us that he stayed at Hamilton Heights vs transferring to an Oak Hill or Monteverde type school for this season. Hipefully he sticks around for his senior year in Chattanooga as well.

The good news is that Hamilton Height's coach has done an extraordinary job of scheduling tough opponents, so hopefully that will provide enough exposure for Ado. Many of the kids that transfer to the schools you mentioned are looking for more exposure, and better competition, the schedule HH plays this year is pretty crazy.

Ado is going to be a tough pull. I like our chances with Blackwell quite a bit better. Did Ado actually grow up in Tennessee or is he new to the area?

He's lived in Chatt since coming to the states, Tennessee was one of his first offers, and he's an hour from our coaches offices...there's not much of a reason outside of the kid just disliking UT, which doesn't appear to be the case, that we shouldn't have an advantage in landing him.

He's lived in Chatt since coming to the states, Tennessee was one of his first offers, and he's an hour from our coaches offices...there's not much of a reason outside of the kid just disliking UT, which doesn't appear to be the case, that we shouldn't have an advantage in landing him.

I disagree. This kid isn't born and raised in Tennessee and hasn't been in the states that long. Distance likely is not a factor. Also, we were an early offer but it's not like we beat teams by a year. We offered early and half the country followed suit shortly after.

Biggest advantage we have is we can easily get to chatty to recruit him. Other stuff you mentioned aren't big factors IMO.

The good news is that Hamilton Height's coach has done an extraordinary job of scheduling tough opponents, so hopefully that will provide enough exposure for Ado. Many of the kids that transfer to the schools you mentioned are looking for more exposure, and better competition, the schedule HH plays this year is pretty crazy.

I agree. That should be a big draw in keeping him at HH. The longer he stays and the more comfortable he becomes with the area, the better for us IMO.

I disagree. This kid isn't born and raised in Tennessee and hasn't been in the states that long. Distance likely is not a factor. Also, we were an early offer but it's not like we beat teams by a year. We offered early and half the country followed suit shortly after.

Biggest advantage we have is we can easily get to chatty to recruit him. Other stuff you mentioned aren't big factors IMO.

If he stays at HH through his senior season that means the only place he knows in the USA for the 4 years he's been here is East Tennessee, I would think that would provide some sort of level of comfort.

Reactions: 1 person
If he stays at HH through his senior season that means the only place he knows in the USA for the 4 years he's been here is East Tennessee, I would think that would provide some sort of level of comfort.

He's been here 3 years already?

I'm just thinking if a kid relocated half way across the world as a teen, relocating to somewhere for college 1.5 hours away versus 8 hours away isn't a big deal. I don't think being the home school gives us an advantage on a kid who spent the majority of his life in another country.

Reactions: 1 person
He's been here 3 years already?

I'm just thinking if a kid relocated half way across the world as a teen, relocating to somewhere for college 1.5 hours away versus 8 hours away isn't a big deal. I don't think being the home school gives us an advantage on a kid who spent the majority of his life in another country.

I guess I look at it in a different way, East Tennessee being all he really knows, and knowing that his mentor will only be an hour down the road would provide some level of comfort I would think.

Not saying it makes us the favorite, or is a huge deal, but IMO that has to be somewhat of a positive for the kid. It also allows him to visit Tennessee much more often than other schools, and get a level of comfort with the coaches, players and campus that he doesn't have elsewhere.

This is perfectly evidenced by him coming up for a 2nd time in just a few months when he's only visited 1 or 2 other schools ONCE unofficialy, I'm guessing he will likely be up for a game or 2 this year also.

I guess I look at it in a different way, East Tennessee being all he really knows, and knowing that his mentor will only be an hour down the road would provide some level of comfort I would think.

Not saying it makes us the favorite, or is a huge deal, but IMO that has to be somewhat of a positive for the kid. It also allows him to visit Tennessee much more often than other schools, and get a level of comfort with the coaches, players and campus that he doesn't have elsewhere.

This is perfectly evidenced by him coming up for a 2nd time in just a few months when he's only visited 1 or 2 other schools ONCE unofficialy, I'm guessing he will likely be up for a game or 2 this year also.

You mentioned this being his second trip, and I too was thinking he had been here once before, but the VQ snippet in CA's original post mentions it being his first trip.

You mentioned this being his second trip, and I too was thinking he had been here once before, but the VQ snippet in CA's original post mentions it being his first trip.

He visited the day after Tennessee offered, May 21st I believe, was accompanied by teammate Ezekiel Balogun.

VN Store

Back