OK. St. transfer Gary Gaskins considering the Vols

TechnoVol

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanESPN · 2h
Oklahoma State 6-10 big man Gary Gaskins expected to get his release and transfer, source told ESPN. MAY be eligible this season.

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanESPN · 2h
Gaskins may get waiver due to fact served in military. Attended JUCO for 2 years. Teams could be in mix: Tenn, Ga Tech, Nebraska, Temple.

Reactions: 5 people
Can't find any good info on him minus that he barely played at all at OkSU. 6'10, 200 lbs. does sound good though! A little skinny, but we NEED all the height we can get.

Pretty crazy story

Beaufort High School grad took long route to Oklahoma State scholarship | Beaufort High Stories | The Island Packet

Went to the Air Force out of high school, was honorably discharged, went to JUCO for 2 years, and then Oklahoma State. He left the Cowboys team in February, and didn't play much for them.

In JUCO he averaged 9ppg 6rpg ~3bpg, he's not a star, but he's a mature big who's also more mature physically than what we've got on the roster. He would only have 1 year of eligibility so in a sense he's what you would've expected McKnight to be, likely starter, 20-25mpg 6ppg 6rpg 2bpg

Pretty crazy story

Beaufort High School grad took long route to Oklahoma State scholarship | Beaufort High Stories | The Island Packet

Went to the Air Force out of high school, was honorably discharged, went to JUCO for 2 years, and then Oklahoma State. He left the Cowboys team in February, and didn't play much for them.

In JUCO he averaged 9ppg 6rpg ~3bpg, he's not a star, but he's a mature big who's also more mature physically than what we've got on the roster. He would only have 1 year of eligibility so in a sense he's what you would've expected McKnight to be, likely starter, 20-25mpg 6ppg 6rpg 2bpg

Any reason for Tyndall to not go balls-out for this guy?

Any reason for Tyndall to not go balls-out for this guy?

Not really, and I'm sure we will, we are already being mentioned with him. I assume biggest hurdle is will he be eligible immediately, if Tyndall feels confident he will then I would expect heavy pursuit.

He'll be balls-out on his honeymoon first!

Blaine_Oh_Yeah!.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Another odd story-

Former college basketball player located at hospital - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Pretty crazy story

Pretty crazy story

How do you expect him to be 20-25mpg 6ppg 6rpg 2bpg at TN when you stated at Juco he averaged 9ppg 6rpg ~3bpg?

How do you expect him to be 20-25mpg 6ppg 6rpg 2bpg at TN when you stated at Juco he averaged 9ppg 6rpg ~3bpg?

I agree with this I don't see the justification of a 6-6-2 and I am a bit worried (although I know he is necessary for our depth in post) about a guy who really wasn't very impressive and only attracted 1 big offer in his juco recruitment
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The numbers I posted are less than what he averaged in JUCO, no?

When he entered JUCO he had been out of competitive basketball for some time, I don't think it's far fetched to think it took him sometime to get back into the swing of things.

Expecting 6ppg & 6rpg out of a starting C is hardly some crazy prediction, what was the average Ppg & RPG for starting centers in the SEC last year?

I agree with this I don't see the justification of a 6-6-2 and I am a bit worried (although I know he is necessary for our depth in post) about a guy who really wasn't very impressive and only attracted 1 big offer in his juco recruitment
Posted via VolNation Mobile

As you mentioned in parenthesis, he is necessary for our depth in the post. What do you have to lose by taking a guy with 1 year of eligibility who has good size, and has played in the Big 12?

In spite of our lack of post depth, Gaskins does not have the talent to start at UT or even make a significant contribution, IMO. He only saw mop-up duty at OK State, playing 34 minutes in 11 games.

When he entered JUCO he had been out of competitive basketball for some time, I don't think it's far fetched to think it took him sometime to get back into the swing of things.

At Brevard two years ago he started strong and faded as the season wore on, with the exception of one game:
Gary Gaskins | #15 | C | Brevard Community College - NJCAA Stats

Last edited:
In spite of our lack of post depth, Gaskins does not have the talent to start at UT or even make a significant contribution, IMO. He only saw mop-up duty at OK State, playing 34 minutes in 11 games.

At Brevard two years ago he started strong and faded as the season wore on, with the exception of one game:
Gary Gaskins | #15 | C | Brevard Community College - NJCAA Stats

Just because he didn't play at Okie State doesn't mean the guy can't play, he didn't even stay for the whole season. There's quite a few examples of guys excelling in anew scenery. Once again though, not saying he's a star, but he would provide the depth we badly need.

Who cares about the offensive part of his game. I read he had 4 blocks in 11 different games. We need a shot blocker who weighs more than 200lbs. IMO

6'10" 200lbs? He will get absolutely dominated in the post in the SEC. JUCO numbers are questionable, and he barely played at Ok St? Why would we want him again?

Just because he didn't play at Okie State doesn't mean the guy can't play, he didn't even stay for the whole season. There's quite a few examples of guys excelling in anew scenery. Once again though, not saying he's a star, but he would provide the depth we badly need.

Name a couple.

Name a couple.

What? Guys performing better at their new home than previous?

How about the opposite of this one, Tennessee to Oklahoma State, Phillip Jurick.

Couldn't even get on the court at Tennessee, ultimately ends up at Okie State where he's a pretty major piece in their frontcourt.

JP Prince, very pedestrian at Arizona, comes to Tennessee and is very productive.

Happens quite a bit, more than you obviously realized.

JP was pedestrian at AZ because he was sick almost the whole time he was there.

Rivera: No sure thing with Arizona’s Prince - Tucson Citizen Morgue, Part 1 (2006-2009)

What? Guys performing better at their new home than previous?

How about the opposite of this one, Tennessee to Oklahoma State, Phillip Jurick.

Couldn't even get on the court at Tennessee, ultimately ends up at Okie State where he's a pretty major piece in their frontcourt.

JP Prince, very pedestrian at Arizona, comes to Tennessee and is very productive.

Happens quite a bit, more than you obviously realized.

VN Store

Back