Our "GO TO" guy, JR!

SeniorDrill

“I’m excited about it,” Richardson said. “I feel like he wants to put me in a role that will help us be successful. Not just me, but the team. I think, despite all the newcomers, we’ve got a chance next year. Coach Tyndall’s got a great offense, and he’s helping us figure out his defense. I think it can be very disruptive, and with our [team] athleticism, we can create some match-up problems. Coach Tyndall doesn't hold anything back, to say the least, Richardson said. If you’re messing up and doing things wrong, he’s gonna let you know about it. But that’s good for me, and I think good for our team. I know people won’t pick us very high [in the preseason polls], but I think we've got a chance to surprise them.”
Chris Dortch » Tennessee’s Richardson ascends to main man status as a senior

Reactions: 3 people
I want to believe that Donnie Knoxville is the man to take us to the next level. JR's comments are encouraging, but with so many newcomers, it might be a tough rebuilding season for the Vols.

I want to believe that Donnie Knoxville is the man to take us to the next level. JR's comments are encouraging, but with so many newcomers, it might be a tough rebuilding season for the Vols.

For now I'll go with "Donnie Basketball" he hasn't earned the "Knoxville" yet,but it looks promising at this point. :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
Third time is a charm. It's not like he has not done this before, SEC or no. He has had practice and I think he has stunned most Vol fans with his recruiting prowess. Here is what Wikipeidia says about his first encounters at Morehead State and Southern Miss. The number of returning players were the same although I doubt they were the quality of Richardson, Moore, Hubbs, and Reece.
"His first MSU team tripled its win total from the previous year, posting a 12-18 record despite a roster that featured only three returning players. And in year-two, despite being picked to finish 10th in the OVC, Tyndall's team finished third in the conference, and he garnered OVC Coach of the Year acclaim."
"From 2012-14, Tyndall oversaw an unprecedented 56-17, championship-winning, two-year run as the head coach at Southern Miss. In 2012-13, he took over a team that was the youngest in the country with 4 returning players and led it to a 27-10 (12-4 C-USA) record and a trip to the NIT quarterfinals. The 12 C-USA victories were the most since USM joined league, and Tyndall was honored by his peers as the NABC District 11 Coach of the Year."

For now I'll go with "Donnie Basketball" he hasn't earned the "Knoxville" yet,but it looks promising at this point. :hi:
It won't take him long to earn the title Coach T, "T" as in Tennessee Power T! I think Donnie Knoxville is sort of cheesy. Now, if someone says Coach T is in the house,
that speaks volumes for returning Tennessee to the elite in the SEC.

It is interesting to note that Donnie Tyndall is the first Tennessee head basketball or football coach whose last name starts with a T.

It is interesting to note that Donnie Tyndall is the first Tennessee head basketball or football coach whose last name starts with a T.

Wow and the first syllable of Tyndall even sounds like the first syllable of Tennessee. What are the odds?

You are incorrect sir. Tony Jones was interim head basketball coach during Pearl's SEC suspension. He is the first Coach T!!!

Third time is a charm. It's not like he has not done this before, SEC or no. He has had practice and I think he has stunned most Vol fans with his recruiting prowess. Here is what Wikipeidia says about his first encounters at Morehead State and Southern Miss. The number of returning players were the same although I doubt they were the quality of Richardson, Moore, Hubbs, and Reece.
REST OF YOUR QUOTE
Reese :)

P.S. Thanks for the post, I don't regularly read Dortch but he posts some solid info. Good read.

P.S.S. Found this quote also
“First and foremost, he’s a coachable guy,” Tyndall said. “He doesn’t seem to have one bit of ego about him. Then there’s his size [6-foot-6, 6-10 wingspan], his athleticism and his basketball IQ. In our [full-court] press and our [match-up 2-3] zone, he should be really good in getting what we call ‘slap-down’ steals. With the minutes he’ll play, and our style, I think Josh has got a chance to lead the SEC in steals.”

Wow thats really high expectations for Josh. Could Josh turn into a Casey Prather (number wise, look at stats UF basketball player) and we could see a surprising/different player.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
"The University of Dayton Arena crowd went berserk, and the Vols, lifted by Richardson’s high-wire act, went on to win. But that dunk paid more than short-term dividends. Richardson, previously differential to teammates Jarnell Stokes and Jordan McRae, learned that day, maybe on that one play, that his game had progressed to the point where he, too, could be counted on as a go-to scorer."

VN Store

Back