12/6/14 vs. Kansas State (SEC/Big 12)
12/14/14 vs. Butler
12/17/14 at North Carolina State
12/19/14 vs. Tennessee Tech
12/22/14 vs. Mercer
12/27/14 vs. Tennessee State
12/31/14 vs. ETSU

Reactions: 4 people
Anybody know where to find the SEC schedule? I know dates won't be released, but I remember the conference schedule being posted on here months ago, would be nice to see our whole schedule.

Anybody know where to find the SEC schedule? I know dates won't be released, but I remember the conference schedule being posted on here months ago, would be nice to see our whole schedule.

Not sure but if you don't find it, Dortch's next article will be taking a look at the SEC schedule.

That schedule is pretty brutal for a first-year coach and essentially an entirely new team.

The Mercer game is listed as being December 22nd, & is described as being in the same weekend as the Tennessee-Missouri football game...didn't realize we were playing football well into December now...LOL.

An interesting personal sidenote:
We play the University of Pikeville (who BTW is a VERY good NAIA team) as an exhibition. UPIKE is coached by Kelly Wells. Wells led them to, and won the NAIA National Championship in 2011, and was national Coach of the Year. That name might sound familiar. He is the former head coach at Mason County HS in KY where he coached...Chris Lofton. Kelly has sister named Shelly (both eastern KY basketball legends), who is married to my wife's cousin, Brock Walter (another former local basketball star). Unfortunately, Kelly is currently battling kidney disease, and needed a transplant (his 2nd). Kelly's wife, Shawne, donated one to him 10 years ago following Mason County's 2003 Kentucky State Basketball Title (Lofton was MVP btw). In a cruel twist of fate, the only matching donor this time is his brother-in-law (& my wife's cousin), Brock Walter.

On Monday, Brock is giving Kelly the gift of life for a second time. The Wells family and the Walter family are wonderful people, and I can't say enough good things about them. If prayer is your thing, keep both families in your thoughts and lift them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Tough schedule. Only 1 shot at a OOC road win. I'm hoping that CDT can get Memphis back on the schedule next year.

That schedule is pretty brutal for a first-year coach and essentially an entirely new team.

The Mercer game is listed as being December 22nd, & is described as being in the same weekend as the Tennessee-Missouri football game...didn't realize we were playing football well into December now...LOL.

We play Pikeville University (who BTW is a VERY good NAIA team) as an exhibition. PIKEU is coached by Kelly Wells. Wells led them to, and won the NAIA National Championship in 2011, and was national Coach of the Year. That name might sound familiar. He is the former head coach at Mason County HS in KY where he coached...Chris Lofton. Kelly has a twin sister named Shelly as well (both eastern KY basketball legends), who is married to my wife's cousin, Brock Walter (another former local basketball star). Unfortunately, Kelly is currently battling kidney disease, and needed a transplant (his 2nd). Kelly's wife, Shawne, donated one to him 10 years ago following Mason County's 2003 Kentucky State Basketball Title (Lofton was MVP btw). In a cruel twist of fate, the only matching donor this time is his brother-in-law (& my wife's cousin), Brock Walter.

Two days ago, on Monday, Brock gave Kelly the gift of life for a second time. The Wells family and the Walter family are wonderful people, and I can't say enough good things about them. If prayer is your thing, keep both families in your thoughts and lift them up.

It's my thing and I'll put'em in it. Hope everything goes well.

Reactions: 3 people
Another interesting note that I omitted from my above post for the sake of length; Kelly Wells was offered the HC job at his alma mater in 2012. Donnie Tyndall had just left Morehead State to take the USM job.

Just an interesting tidbit.

Wells turned down the opportunity to return to his alma mater, and hometown out of a sense of loyalty to his players at UPIKE.

We play the University of Pikeville (who BTW is a VERY good NAIA team) as an exhibition. UPIKE is coached by Kelly Wells. Wells led them to, and won the NAIA National Championship in 2011, and was national Coach of the Year. That name might sound familiar. He is the former head coach at Mason County HS in KY where he coached...Chris Lofton. Kelly has a twin sister named Shelly as well (both eastern KY basketball legends), who is married to my wife's cousin, Brock Walter (another former local basketball star). Unfortunately, Kelly is currently battling kidney disease, and needed a transplant (his 2nd). Kelly's wife, Shawne, donated one to him 10 years ago following Mason County's 2003 Kentucky State Basketball Title (Lofton was MVP btw). In a cruel twist of fate, the only matching donor this time is his brother-in-law (& my wife's cousin), Brock Walter.

Two days ago, on Monday, Brock gave Kelly the gift of life for a second time. The Wells family and the Walter family are wonderful people, and I can't say enough good things about them. If prayer is your thing, keep both families in your thoughts and lift them up.

Wow definitely praying. That's some crazy stuff.

We play the University of Pikeville (who BTW is a VERY good NAIA team) as an exhibition. UPIKE is coached by Kelly Wells. Wells led them to, and won the NAIA National Championship in 2011, and was national Coach of the Year. That name might sound familiar. He is the former head coach at Mason County HS in KY where he coached...Chris Lofton. Kelly has a twin sister named Shelly as well (both eastern KY basketball legends), who is married to my wife's cousin, Brock Walter (another former local basketball star). Unfortunately, Kelly is currently battling kidney disease, and needed a transplant (his 2nd). Kelly's wife, Shawne, donated one to him 10 years ago following Mason County's 2003 Kentucky State Basketball Title (Lofton was MVP btw). In a cruel twist of fate, the only matching donor this time is his brother-in-law (& my wife's cousin), Brock Walter.

My high school basketball coach was the assistant at pikeville,I feel special :)

Coach T is a proponent of "In order to be the best, you have to beat the best!" This schedule is nothing new for him.

I haven't seen Butler ranked preseason top 5 by anyone? Have you?
Got to remember this schedule is not all his, just going by what he has done everywhere else he's been. Thought that comparison of us was hilarious! Me the all Tyndall all the time guy and you the all Martin all the time guy! Two peas in a pod! :)

Reactions: 1 person
Update on Kelly Wells. I got my dates mixed up, and the kidney transplant is tomorrow, not last Monday. Keep that family in your thoughts and prayers.

VN Store

Back