Big Update from Coach T!

Smart move, IMO. I love the RTL, but you do run a huge risk of injury, which we can't afford, especially with the new coach, new system, young players, etc., and also especially with someone as talented as Hubbs.

Did you catch the "We have eight newcomers and obviously only four returning players at this point" in the article?" This may enlighten you some. Here is a little insight into why a big body slow motion center is not good for this system. He has to get out of the way of the drivers. That is a problem. This is a quote from Bill Self, the Kansas coach, explaining the 3 out-2 in high/low motion offense. Coach T says to look for our offense to resemble Kansas'. "True motion is hard to teach. The 3-out 2-in high/low motion is good for shooters, and for post players who aren't great scorers, they are sealers. The biggest negative is that if a really creative player has the ball, there is always a post player who has to get out of his way, so they spend a lot of time working on emptying the post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I can think of a couple reasons why someone would be against it. You have anything in particular?

Bad habits, wear and tear, no defense...I'd rather the team work and play together only and skip it. And I know it's been around forever but I've always thought those leagues should have guys that have no eligibility left. Jmo.

Bad habits, wear and tear, no defense...I'd rather the team work and play together only and skip it. And I know it's been around forever but I've always thought those leagues should have guys that have no eligibility left. Jmo.
Coach T disagrees. “I think any time our guys can get out and play with referees and a little bit of structure, I know not a ton of defense will be played in the summer league, but I still think it’s going to be a good environment. And good for our fans to get to know our newcomers as well.”

Coach T disagrees. “I think any time our guys can get out and play with referees and a little bit of structure, I know not a ton of defense will be played in the summer league, but I still think it’s going to be a good environment. And good for our fans to get to know our newcomers as well.”

I can see it that way as well. Wouldn't expect him to say anything different anyway.

Need that office typewriters audio clip with that photo.But I guess to make it more current keyboarding audio clip.

Last edited:

Could not agree more. The RTL does absolutely nothing to improve individual or team play as it relates to organized basketball. It's nothing more than street ball on an indoor court.

Could not agree more. The RTL does absolutely nothing to improve individual or team play as it relates to organized basketball. It's nothing more than street ball on an indoor court.

My arguement against that is its so few games (maybe 6) and only lasts a few weeks, that they cant pick up bad habits or really any wear and tear either. These kids play so much ball these days, from elementary school age all the way thru college and beyond, that 6 games makes no difference. Plus they will be playing pick up together all the time during the summer. If I was a college player, I would use it as a chance to just have fun in front of fans and as a break from the long grind of summer workouts. Just Imo.

Post on Inside Tennessee forum:
"This dude Tyndall just gets it.
@GrantRamey: Donnie Tyndall and his entire staff went around the table at the Rocky Top League Draft and shook the hand of everyone in attendance."

VN Store

Back