Vols to open season agasint VCU at US Naval Acadamy

RockyTop22

Tennessee and VCU will open the season with the Veterans Classic at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. The two games will be Tennessee vs VCU, November 14th at 6:30 pm, and Michigan State vs Navy following the conclusion of our game.

Vols To Open Season Vs. VCU In Annapolis - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Little tidbit on this seasons opponents from article
In addition to facing VCU on a neutral court next season, UT hosts Butler and Kansas State, plays NC State on the road and joins Georgia Tech, Kansas, Marquette, Michigan State, Rider, Santa Clara and Xavier in the eight-team field at the Orlando Classic Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 27-30) at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex near Orlando, Fla.

Reactions: 5 people
Same criticism coming for opening last year against Xavier?

This act is so stale.

First, I don't really recall a lot of belly-aching prior to that game about opening with Xavier. Even if there was, there's countless Tennessee fans, and you could find a million different opinions if you are willing to look for them and give them credence by addressing every opinion that differs from your own.

Second, the biggest gripe for most fans about that game is that we had an entire offseason to prepare and we came out looking like we were lost and played with no energy.

Finally, I've seen you gripe more than once about people bashing Martin. Take some of your own advice and stop defending him even when nobody is bashing him.

Reactions: 18 people
Tennessee and VCU will open the season with the Veterans Classic at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. The two games will be Tennessee vs VCU, November 14th at 6:30 pm, and Michigan State vs Navy following the conclusion of our game.

Vols To Open Season Vs. VCU In Annapolis - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Little tidbit on this seasons opponents from article

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw a poster drop this info weeks ago. Maybe by accident they let this slip. I remember it happening though. I'll see if I can find it. Could have been pdogg.

I apologize, but I deleted everything in your post that was made up BS.

There was a whole lot of questioning going on, I actually remember you hounding Mark Pancatz on twitter begging for an explanation as to why we didn't play a cupcake our first game.

The post wasn't a defense of Martin, it wouldn't have mattered if John Doe was the F'n coach, my point was simply...will the same ones who questioned opening against a quality team on the road last year question it this year as well?

Did people criticize that we opened against Xavier on the road ahead of time? Or did they just criticize that we looked like a team full of guys that never played together after the game was over?

Keep defending your boy. You probably think Darrin Horn was a fine coach.

Reactions: 4 people
Did people criticize that we opened against Xavier on the road ahead of time?

Another one getting emotional and can't just have a conversation lol.

Yea, there was a lot of criticism and questioning the idea of playing your first game against a quality opponent on the road.

If you make it worth my whole I will go fine some of those posts.

Another one getting emotional and can't just have a conversation lol.

Yea, there was a lot of criticism and questioning the idea of playing your first game against a quality opponent on the road.

If you make it worth my whole I will go fine some of those posts.

I refuse to make it worth your "whole".

Not emotional at all. I can't imagine how anyone that has any clue about basketball would still be discussing anything Zo related to UT. Better to forget. And yes, your post is very much referring to those that criticized Zo and wondering if they will criticize Tyndall.

As far as I'm concerned, last year's schedule wasn't tough enough. With a senior laden team (really with any team that has a chance to be successful but especially with seniors) you should be testing them and preparing them all year.

I think opening up against tough teams is great. Playing neutral site games against good competition is a must. Hardly any downside.

Reactions: 5 people
What would constitute "making it worth your while" to do the search? Just wondering, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Are we returing Jarnell Stokes, Maymon, and McRae, a couple of all sec players? Because opening up with Xavier isn't easy, but with a starting lineup up all upperclassman it shouldn't be a huge problem, since the team was clearly better than them because the proved it in B4A.

Reactions: 1 person
I refuse to make it worth your "whole".

Not emotional at all. I can't imagine how anyone that has any clue about basketball would still be discussing anything Zo related to UT. Better to forget. And yes, your post is very much referring to those that criticized Zo and wondering if they will criticize Tyndall.

As far as I'm concerned, last year's schedule wasn't tough enough. With a senior laden team (really with any team that has a chance to be successful but especially with seniors) you should be testing them and preparing them all year.

I think opening up against tough teams is great. Playing neutral site games against good competition is a must. Hardly any downside.

Wasn't our SOS top 25 in the country last year?

Are we returing Jarnell Stokes, Maymon, and McRae, a couple of all sec players? Because opening up with Xavier isn't easy, but with a starting lineup up all upperclassman it shouldn't be a huge problem, since the team was clearly better than them because the proved it in B4A.

I'm not sure of the relevance?

Wouldn't you be further proving my point? If people critcized it last year then with less experience they would surely criticize it this year?

Wasn't our SOS top 25 in the country last year?
Playing Fla 3x greatly exaggerated our SOS. We played the fewest RPI top 50 teams of anyone in the top 25 SOS. So while our opponents record seemed pretty nice, it was based on the strength of Fla, Wich St and UVA. Otherwise our schedule was rather mediocre.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a real publicity game for the Vols. Here is the CBS link to the inaugural Veterans Classic. Tennessee, VCU, Michigan State, and Navy are participating. It will be aired by CBS on the first day of the new college basketball season. The whole country will get an early view of Donnieball and the new look Volunteers. That could work wonders for our season rankings especially if we pull off a W. Inaugural Veterans Classic features MSU, VCU, Tennessee and Navy - CBSSports.com

Reactions: 2 people
Playing Fla 3x greatly exaggerated our SOS. We played the fewest RPI top 50 teams of anyone in the top 25 SOS. So while our opponents record seemed pretty nice, it was based on the strength of Fla, Wich St and UVA. Otherwise our schedule was rather mediocre.

So our SOS was top 25?

I apologize, but I deleted everything in your post that was made up BS.

There was a whole lot of questioning going on, I actually remember you hounding Mark Pancatz on twitter begging for an explanation as to why we didn't play a cupcake our first game.

The post wasn't a defense of Martin, it wouldn't have mattered if John Doe was the F'n coach, my point was simply...will the same ones who questioned opening against a quality team on the road last year question it this year as well?

Hounding? Begging? Get a clue. I asked Mark P a single question about the scheduling AFTER he made a tweet about it.

Here's Pancratz tweet: "For those asking y we didn't schedule this type of game before Xavier... Answer is we couldn't. Home vball game Fri, fball vs Auburn Sat"

Here's my reply: @MarkPancratz Thursday? Sunday? Just curious

Again, this is all AFTER the game. His tweet even implies that they wanted to schedule a cupcake prior to the Xavier game but couldn't.

Besides, my question to MP was more about basketball not taking precedent over whatever was keeping them from scheduling how they wish. In my opinion, if the basketball team wants a cupcake home game before Xavier, then they should get a cupcake game before Xavier. If that means we tell the volleyball team to reschedule their game or play it elsewhere then that's what should happen.

Found this in a VCU article about the Veterans Classic. Really neat experience for the team! CBS Sports Network will provide complete coverage of the unique event which gives coaches and players a rare opportunity to view what life is like as a midshipman at the Naval Academy. From touring the ‘Yard,’ to watching noon meal formation and eating lunch with the Brigade at King Hall, the teams will be immersed in the culture and tradition of the Naval Academy. The event will include a number of other unique experiences, including military demonstrations and receptions.

Hounding? Begging? Get a clue. I asked Mark P a single question about the scheduling AFTER he made a tweet about it.

Here's Pancratz tweet: "For those asking y we didn't schedule this type of game before Xavier... Answer is we couldn't. Home vball game Fri, fball vs Auburn Sat"

Here's my reply: @MarkPancratz Thursday? Sunday? Just curious

Again, this is all AFTER the game. His tweet even implies that they wanted to schedule a cupcake prior to the Xavier game but couldn't.

Besides, my question to MP was more about basketball not taking precedent over whatever was keeping them from scheduling how they wish. In my opinion, if the basketball team wants a cupcake home game before Xavier, then they should get a cupcake game before Xavier. If that means we tell the volleyball team to reschedule their game or play it elsewhere then that's what should happen.

It wasn't just you, there were many questioning the move, just wondered how those same people felt this time around.

You appeared to at least question it last year, thoughts about this year?

It wasn't just you, there were many questioning the move, just wondered how those same people felt this time around.

You appeared to at least question it last year, thoughts about this year?

I didn't have a problem with opening with Xavier last year. I don't have a problem with opening with VCU this year.

Besides, this is all troll bait anyway. Martin and staff scheduled this game with VCU, not Tyndall.

I imagine you are hoping someone takes the bait and praises this opener and talks about what a great scheduler DT and staff are.....

VN Store

Back